Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First steps to walking......how long on avergae

Hi there, I'm just curious really. My lo is 13 months next week and for the last week or two he has been taking a few steps on his own. He can now manage up to about ten at a time although four is probably the average before he either grabs something or falls over. Is this normal, how long does it take from this stage to actually walking properly ?

Replies

• Options
    Hi, ds1 was late to walk at 14 1/2 month but once he took his first steps alone he was off and steady within a week, then running around not long after! Ds2 took about 3 weeks to do this, but was 13 mnth old when walking properly.
    He prob won't be long now, then the fun really starts!!!
  • Options
    my lo was 14 1/2 months aswell they all develop at different times but im sure your lo wont be much longer once they get the confidence to do it alone there off xx
  • Options
    my lo started taking one or two steps two weeks ago today, i was sure he'd be toddling about by now but due to being ill he hasn't really felt like it and has taken aobut 10 steps at most. he is doing alot of standing on his own though so hopfully he'll get there asap! really wanted him walking by his birthday but as that is tomorrow, i guess he won't be! :roll:
  • Options
    My lo started taking his first step just last week and he's already 16 months old. I don't feel too anxious about it. I believe he'll do it when he is ready. Saying that, we do encourage him to walk every day. We take him to the park and seeing other kids running really makes him eager to stand up and walk on his own. Although I'm excited about this next stage he's be going through, I'm getting myself ready for all the running after that I need to do once he's able to get to his feet.
  • Options
    i think it took my l/o about 4/6 weeks to become steady on his feet and he certainly is now!! (11 months when he first started, 13 months now)
  • Options
    Jack is so close to walking! he is very confident standing and will take quite a few steps without thinking about it too much but is not a performing monkey as will rarely show off when i want him too! lol!
  • Options
    my lo has been taking steps for a few weeks now. she is confident standing and takes about 10 steps before she falls or grabs something. my childminder said she needs some shoes, as she has wooden floors and so does the hall where they go to toddler group. i have had her measured and tried a pair on her, she was so funny she kept picking her feet up and looking at them!! do you think she should have shoes yet? what about first shoes? please help
  • Options
    my lo started taking steps 2weeks before his 1st bday then around 6 weeks later he was walking steadily without falling
  • Options
    wooohoooo! he's toddling! after a month of taking a few steps every now and then he's perfectly happy to walk across the room without encouragement! so proud! image
  • Options
    got her some shoes this weekend. i had already measured her, but we went to mothercare world, whick has a clarks bit in. we compared some mc shoes to the clarks, and the only diff was ??10!!!! even the clarks girl said thay are the same, but she still helped us. she looks like a proper little girl now in shoes.
  • Options
    joseph has the first shoes for crawling and coasting furniture in he will take a few steps from one to the other of me and dh but is excellent at going around the furniture etc!!!!! xx