Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Smears

I just wanted to say that here in Scotland you get your first smear at 20 but i put mine off since i hated the idea of it, then went travelling, then had Zach and put off again when the reminder came through, even after child birth i still couldn't get the courage to get one done! Then when i got another reminder i was preggers with Molly so couldn't get it done.

Well anyway i got another reminder a month ago (i am now 27!) and as soon as i got it i phoned the surgery straight away, if i didn't i would have never have done it, after what happened to Jade so young i HAD to do it for my 2 babies.

I went to the appointment a wee bit embarrassed/nervous but the nurse was so lovely and showed me the instrument used to take some scrapings of my cervix which was nothing bad, it was over with under a minute and the nurse chatted to me all the way through and made me feel very relaxed.

I have worried for weeks about the result, what ifs where going through my head.....why did i leave it so long!!? etc etc

Well i got my results back and no abnormalities were found, i burst into tears and gave my kids lots of cuddles.

My point is please don't put it off, it doesn't hurt and is over quickly.

Replies

• Options
    glad you got the all clear .i got my letter about a week ago and have been putting it of am going to book an appointment this afternoon. like you said it a bit embrassing but over quickley and somthing best to get done

[Modified by: hollypolly on October 22, 2009 02:25 PM]

• Options
    exactly hollypolly, it's the thought of it that's the worst but once there it is all fine x x
  • Options
    i'm planning on booking one for a few weeks away as my monthly bikini line wax will be due lol
  • Options
    :lol: Misslauri86, i know what you mean, i had a little tidy up down there before i went.....I'm glad mine was a year after Molly was born, the thought of anyone looking down there (apart from dh) after an episiotomy and a 10lbs 14oz baby :O makes me cringe!!! I'm glad time really does heal and all is back to normal (as can be) down below. I think you are meant to wait awhile after child birth anyway and at least until after your first period which was 12 months for me.