Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stopping sterilising etc once LO turns one?

Cally has her 1st birthday this Wed and I need to ask a couple of questions - once Cally is one I know I can giver her cow's milk to drink (so no more formula), stop sterilising, and will no longer have to boil her drinking water. Did you all do all those things straight away - seems like a lot of changes at once. I am keen to make those changes as things will be much easier - just want to make sure what I am doing is ok.
Thanks ladies.

Alison xx

Replies

• Options
    I'm sure it will be fine. I stopped sterilsing at 12 months. Lo was still on formula (growing up milk) only cos she was fussy. Tbh wished I had saved my money and put her straight onto cow's milk.

You could do each thing one by one, but by the age of 1 all these changes will be ok. It may take her time to get used to cow's milk like my lo, but now she drinks it much better than she did formula.
  • Options
    Think I will do it gradually over a few weeks, thanks ladies. xx
  • Options
    I started doing it gradually. We used up formula milk about 2 weeks before Rhys turned 1 so switched to cows and stopped steriliasing about 9 months as he stopped having bottles and that's all I used to sterilize. Can't remember when stopped boiling drinking water though. Maybe do them one at a time and see how she goes if you don't want to stop them all at once. x
  • Options
    I did it gradually because I was concerned if I did it all ot once and he did have an upset stomach or something, I wouldn't know which had caused it - but he was fine, so probably could've done it all at once!

It's ok not to boil drinking water after 6 months, so I stopped that first, but not until 11 months. A week or so later I introduced cows milk in the mornings while finishing off formula for the bedtime drink - he had his last formula on his birthday. Last used the steriliser the night before his birthday.

If you want to do it gradually just a few days between each should be fine.
  • Options
    I did it gradually too as didn't want to make too many changes at once. I stopped sterilising first and then a few months later stopped boiling her drinking water but still boiled water for her bottles. It took a while to move from formula to cows milk as my lo just wouldn't take the cows milk straight away, so we had to wean her off the formula and by the time she was about 18 months she was fully onto cows milk.
  • Options
    I stopped it all at 6 months as per the government guidelines and believe me when it comes to germs and such, I am the worlds most paranoid.
    Once she was crawling and putting everything into her mouth that she found and likcing the sofa/carpet and things I thought what was the point anyway?!

Admittedly she was breastfed so I didn't do much anyway but at 9 months when she stopped I just washed everything.

I have a dishwasher though and figured that was as good for some things.

I have a friend who NEVER sterilised her bottles even FROM BIRTH! Her lo is now 14 months and absolutely healthy as can be and seems to have less colds/illnesses than the rest of our lo's!!

I stopped boiling water at 6 months too (just gradually gave her the odd sip of tap water for a week or so and then just stopped boiling altogether) and she drank bottled water while we were in Spain when she was 10 months.

xx

[Modified by: marathon bar on October 25, 2009 06:54 AM]

• Options
    hayden walked at 9 months and was into everything and everything was in him!! i thought what is point. god soapy hot water does the trick. didn't realise they could get tap water at 6 months otherwise i would have given it to him sooner than 10.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I hadn't realised she could have tap water since 6 months, wish I had known. She often pinches her nephew's cup (why is it someone else's is always better?!) so she has had tap water. Think will just stop formula after we have finished what we have got, as long as Cally likes cow's milk, and just having cows milk at bedtime doesn't make her wake up more than she already does through the night! The sterilising will be stopped on her birthday - am sick of doing that!. We haven't been using the dishwasher much as always washing Cally's bottles and cups, but have bought a couple of new cups and will now use the dishwasher all the time so things can get a hotter wash.
    It's sad in a way that my baby is growing up - but will make life a lot easier too.
    Alison xx
  • Options
    I didn't find out till recently about the tap water at 6mths till the health visitor told me with my 6mth old son but with Bethany who's 2 I waited 12mths. Don't worry about stopping sterilising though as they are always putting toys and stuff in their mouths which have been on the floor, and you will actually be doing more harm then good if you continue as they need to build up their immune systems. I think its more about giving up the baby then it being a health issue, its hard I know been there but the pleasure you get at seeing them as a little person with their own minds more than makes up for it xx

[Modified by: snappyloz on October 25, 2009 10:55 PM]