Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what age for parent and child spaces

2»

Replies

• Options
    I agree with most of these points. I think the age limit should be 5 an ghat supermarkets shoul police the spaces more. However I don't think you can compare p&c spaces with disabled spaces. I would quite happily give up a p&c space for a disabled person. Having a child was my choice but no one chooses to be disabled. It is infuriating when lazy people use the p&c spaces and is an inconvenience to have to find a space and struglle with a child. My pet peeve is able bodied people using disabled spaces. It's absolutely disgusting!! Also don't judge a book by it's cover, some people don't appear to be disabled but that doesn't mean they are not.
  • Options
    Is it really that big a deal? Not being rude just curious why this debate sparks time & time again! I've parked in normal spaces millions of times with DS, when he was in an infant carrier and a normal seat, with or without pushchair, even if someone has parked close. I think if I had 2 children I would find it harder as I'd worry ds would make a run for it while I was carrying baby or getting baby out, therefore I would rather park in a P&C space for safety reasons.

I was also huge when pregnant as ds was over 9lb but can honestly say I never had any problems, I'm not a small woman either!

Having said that I have a 2 door car and it means I can squat in the back and get ds out facing him, I have tried putting him in a 4 door car and OMG it's so much harder as you're doing it all from the side!

Re ASDA, their car parks are SH!T anyway!!! They are really higgledy piggledy in our local asda and all the p&c spaces (All fecking 5 of them or whatever) are packed into this tiny square so it's near impossible to reverse out of them, as they're also fairly near the traffic going into asda so it takes ages to get out! I wouldnt use one of their p&c spaces again but I do in our local sainsburys and morrisons
    xx

• Options
    Also don't judge a book by it's cover, some people don't appear to be disabled but that doesn't mean they are not.

I'm well aware of that so no need to state the obvious .. however the woman abusing the p&c space I mentioned was pretty obviously trying to blag her way out of it when she saw I'd noticed and as she walked fine and didn't need the extra space to get out of the car so could have picked one of the non p&c spaces just as near the shop to park in instead - the problem at our asda seems to be people go to the main disabled/p&c section and if the disabled bits are full they can't be bothered to check the other bit on the other side of the store so just nick the p&c spaces. I have never actually seen an obviously disabled person take a p&c space - although i stillt hink its wrong, I wouldn't mind so much - I'm well aware that a lot of people abuse the disabled badge when they are only meant to be used for ferrying the disabled person around and I'm sure there is a hell of a lot more of that going on than there should be - I've recently read a post on another forum where people have been talking about this

ymgm - I've parked in normal spaces when I have to (always try and get an end of a row if poss for a bit of space) and having a 4 door car and barely enough space for me to get out of the car because some idiot can't park straight does make it impossible to get lo out around me. Doesn't help either when he wants to 'do it myself' and climb himself in and I have to make sure the door doesn't bang on the idiot parked too close!
  • Options
    i didn't mean that you only park when using a pushchair. i meant that as long as your child is of pushchair age then it's fine to use one. we have to use our pushchair 99% of the time as all the trolleys with baby seats in them (my ds is 6.5months) have been used mainly by people with no kids with them!
  • Options
    I have always presumed the spaces were there to lower the risk of children being harmed by other cars, I don't think there should be an 'age limit' imposed as every child is different and has a different level of maturity e.g 1 six year old might walk perfectly fine next to their parent whilst another may still run ahead without realising the danger. So therefore I don't really have a problem with people using them providing they have a child with them.

I think the comment about "pushchair age" is silly as surely there is no such thing. My LO is 16 months yet I probably only use her pushchair maybe once a month so is she still classed as pushchair age or not?!

I also think it depends on where you live, I used to live in Liverpool and the people were very inconsiderate & very rarely had children with them when parked in P&C spaces but since moving to Cumbria I find it very easy to park in P&C spaces and hardly ever see anyone misusing them.

Tesco seem to the best for P&C spaces too I think.
  • Options
    As for having 2 parents therefore not needing the space.. um no. whether my husband and I are on our own or together one of us still needs to lean in and fasten our son in and it still takes up space to open the car door enough to lift a 2 year old in and fasten him in safely

One parent staying in the car with a sleeping child is taking the piss totally..

I think a lot of you got the wrong end of the stick with my 'TWO' parent comment. I didn't mean two parents with a baby or toddler, if you read my comment I say 'Child'. I meant a walking able bodied, brain functioning child of 6+ and as I said, where is the struggle with that? One parent can hold the childs hand and the other parent push the trolly.

As for the sleeping child, I never mentioned a 2nd parent staying with the child? I said I would use a P&C space if I was popping in for 5 mins and one of the kids was asleep in the car. It rarely happens, maybe twice ever, but I feel that I have the right to keep my child close to the entrance in this situation.

And before anyone starts.... I'm talking about a 9 year old left with a 13 year old for 5 minutes on a cool day with windows slightly down for ventilation!! If the weather was hot or I was going to be longer I would park in a normal space, wake them up and make them come with me!

I know some will disagree, but at least read things properly before you have rant :lol: Anyway, you're never going to be able to police this whole issue and you are always going to get cheeky sods talking the mickey. Just one of lifes frustrations! :evil:

[Modified by: Fairythalia on June 26, 2010 10:42 AM]

• Options
    I have 3 children, aged 5, 3, 2 and currently expecting number 4. I wouldn't use a space if I just had my 5 yr old with me as she can get into and out of the car herself AND do her own seat belt up. With my younger two they need the help, so the extra space around the car is needed. I also think from 7 months pregnant you should be able to use the spaces as I have found myself in situations where I can't get into the car because the twat nxt to me has parked too close to my car, grrrrrrr!!!! Ive had to climb over the passenger seat more than once at 8/9 months pregnant! I would say children under school age or heavily expectant mums would get the most use out of the spaces. I too think it's so annoying when I see people parking in the spaces with older kids who are more than capable of getting in and out of a car by themselves! x x x

[Modified by: Sugar'n'Spice+bump on June 26, 2010 12:33 PM]

• Options
    this always sparks a big reaction and rightly so.

These are my thoughts (not saying they are right or wrong)

In my area at home (middlesbrough) the main car park is fab. You HAVE to register with a child under 8 to get a badge. If you park in parent and baby without it you will be clamped and get a fine. Same for pregnant mums (which is great)
    My local tesco has plenty of baby spaces. However. these are NOT closest to the entrance. They are spread around the peripheral so that you have to walk on the path but never need to cross the car park.

I have 3 children and obviously try my best to shop without them or do online shopping when I am home. However during my 10 week stay starting next week it will be the summer hols and as OH is staying here in Bahrain till the end of Aug I am going to have to take them at some time. My main concern is their safety. This is first and foremost. i will walk for 15 mins if it means I can park safely and my kids dont have to cross a car park. I would prefer to be at the door for Convenience but appreciate this is not always a reasonable request.

I once had a huge argument with this woman on her OWN who pulled into the last baby place. I wound my window down and asked her to move as I had 3 under 3 at the time. She told me to f**k off as she was on her lunch hour and was in a rush where as us mums have all day to pi**ng shop!! I was speechless. I shouted after that it was not my faut she was a frigid bitch!! silly I know but I was sooo mad.

Another time I pulled into a baby place and this woman was staring at me. I started to walk to the shop and then realised I had no kids with me. I NEVER have to kids with me so I just forgot. I went back apologised and moved the car. She laughed and said she had done it too. That same day I was caught by a friend pushing the trolley in and out while I was looking for something (the way you push a pram when a baby is in) I totally forgot I had no kids.ha ha

To summarise I think the age should be 8 max! Pregnant women should be allowed to use them and offenders who use it when not needed should be clamped and fined ??50 ..this money could go towards something child related?

d x
  • Options
    Our local Asda and Tesco are rubbish. People abuse the spaces all the time.
    The 3 Sainsbury's that I use locally (one near work, 2 near home) all have LOADS of P&C spaces so if I'm on my own, I'll always shop at Sainsbury's.
    My hubby recently thought it was ok to park in a P&C space when I was staying in the car with Tobes. I made him move!!! What the heck does he need a P&C space when me and the toddler are staying in the car!
    Personally, I think 12yr is too old really.
    I will never again challenge anyone on it. The first (and last!) time I did, the man was really rude and I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me when he got out his tiny new baby in its car seat that was well hidden by his blacked out windows! (It was a "souped" up car so hence I assumed no baby)
    Triple cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
  • Options
    She told me to f**k off as she was on her lunch hour and was in a rush where as us mums have all day to pi**ng shop

That attitude is shocking but it doesn't surprise me! I hate people who think SAHMs are 'lazy dole dossers' or p/t working mums are 'part-timer, ooh lucky you ' blah blahhh!!! The same people are the ones who critisise f/t working mums for abandoning their kids or some such shit. CAN'T WIN!

dee, you should have told her "No need for the attitude, there are plenty of spaces further away, looks like you could use the exercise!" :lol:

[Modified by: young_mum_gone_mad. on June 26, 2010 09:16 PM]

• Options
    I would like to make a brief comment regarding the use of Disabled Parking. I have a 2 1/2 year old and also suffer with arthritis (plus I am 11 weeks pregnant). If you see me get out of my car some days, I look perfectly fine. However, 1/2 hour later I get tired and slow down. I use the disabled spaces first, instead of the P&C as there are fewer of them.
  • Options
    I wasn't saying that to be rude or sarcastic. In my experience some people genuinely don't realise that people who are entitled to disabled passes don't necessarily appear disabled.
  • Options

And one last little rant lol.. I've got on my soapbox now. I don't consider it acceptable for disabled people to be able to use the p&c spaces because they can't be bothered to go check the other section of the car park where there are yet more disabled spaces or cause the disabled spaces are full. Sure a lot of people will disagree with me but it drives me mad that there are generally twic eas many disabled spaces as p&c and the p&c spaces are open to abuse. I actually had some woman who had a disabled badge who parked in a p&c space and was in receipt of a filthy look from me try and tell me that it was 'ok to park there if disabled were full and that it was ok to park in disabled spaces if p&c were full' I wo uldn't have minded so much if she or her companion struggled into a wheelchair or something but they both wandered off into the shop without a

there is always one mother on here that has just be judgmental and discriminative doesnt there?

hate to tell you this, but if all disabled bays are full then disabled people can and have every right to park in a p&c bay.and just because some peple dont need to use a wheelchair full time doesnt mean that they can walk far or fine. disabled bays are a legal requirement, baby bays arnt

[Modified by: sleepybeccie on June 27, 2010 01:40 PM]

• Options
    I don't live in the UK anymore and prob. not entitled to an opinion but where I live there are at most, two P&C spaces at grocery stores and Walmart (ASDA equivalent). It's just not a big deal over here. I use the spot if I have my 2 yo dd with me as she obviously needs help but never have I seen "policing" of these spots. If there are no P&C locations left, I often just park a ways away where I'm free to open the car doors as open as I want - besides, I can do with a walk!
    However, depending on the store, some spots are labelled "Expectant Mom-to-be or New Moms Parking" in which case I never use those spots.
    What does get "policed" over here are the disabled spots and if you are caught w/o a badge or a badge is being used w/o the person it was issued to being present, you will get a massive fine. Parking Wardens patrol these spots on a regular bases.

Interesting reading of opinions though - I never thought it woudl make a difference how many parents are with the child......

• Options
    I dont understand the whole disabled against p&c spaces. In all the stores where I live they are next to each other. So what if a disabled person parks in a p&c or vice versa. Why dont they make it so p&c or disabled can park in either?

I have 2 children 3 & 1 and use the p&c spaces when available but of course park normally when they aren't. The only problem I've ever had is when they were in a car seat for babies and fast asleep, and then it is hard to get them out.

Also be ware about having a go at a parent with a sleeping child in a p&c spot!! My partner got a right ear bashing from some upstart who presumed that he was with the sleeping baby whilst mum was doing the shopping, she didn't realise that I was in the store with my 3 year old. Oh and once I got told off for parking in one with no children but my partner had walked over to the supermarket with the buggy and I drove there to pick them up as there was too much shopping.
  • Options
    Imho - 7/8 should be the max age for parent and child spaces, definitely NOT 12! My kid sister is 9 ... and my lil cousin is 11 ... they are capable of far more complicated things than getting in/out of a car. At age 7 - 8, they still can be quite careless and not realize the dangers also most will still need a booster seat and depending on car even those can be a bit tricky to get in.

I live in Uk permanently, but am from Latvia, and I dont think parent and child parking spaces exist there. There are disabled spaces, but they are not meant for parents. I lived with my parents when my little sister was little (from birth till around 6) and they always managed to shop fine and park fine in regular parking spots. I think in a way you just need to get a grip and find a bigger spot (drive around the parking lot a bit and so on).

I am very happy that we dont need a car (live in brighton, way too small to need one) and a big tescos is 3 minute walk from my door. So we dont need to struggle with the car.

I think though I would be way more pissed at people with NO children using the spaces than those with an older child using them ...

Hope you re all well.

xx
  • Options
    Always an emotive one this! My opinion is that parents with older children only, and by that I mean upwards of 8, shouldn't use the P&C spaces. I do not, of course include children with any kind of ASD or disability in that. Nor do I have any kind of issue with a disabled person using a P&C space when the disabled ones are full. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and use the spaces, when available, irrespective of whether I'm with one or both of them. Some people treat our local Asda car park as a race track so I'd much rather risk dirty looks and comments from some (and I'm speaking from experience here, not referring to anyone on here at all image ) who deem DS as 'too old' for a P&C space as opposed to risking his safety trying to wrestle a trolley full of shopping and him across the car park safely. Plus, whilst he will try to do his own seatbelt up, I always check it so need to be able to get the door open fully to do that. I do hate it when people without children use the spaces or when one parent is staying in the car with the child whilst the other pops in for a few bits. OH dropped me at the door the other week then went to park while I nipped in. I found him in a P&C space when I came out and he got an earful for it, much to the amusement of the 5 year old "told you'd she'd be cross daddy" and the lady getting out of the car next to us!!!!
    Xx
  • Options
    Mmmm I agree that there shouldn't be a 'disabled vs parent' debate, but I can't agree that parents should be able to use disabled spaces, sorry. I feel quite strongly about that.

Places like Bluewater and Ikea have loads of P&C spaces - Bluewater has just re-done all it's car parks and there are literally hundreds! And they all fill up. There are many many more parents around looking for parking spaces and if they could use the disabled spaces, disabled people would never get a space.

I think there should be enough disabled spaces available that there are always a few spare - god knows people abuse these enough! (including my mother :roll: -and she gets a telling off from me I can tell you!)

Yes its annoying when people with no lo's abuse our parking spaces, but I have always felt that these are a 'nice to have' not a legal right. Lets face it, we all welcome something that makes us mummies lives a bit easier! I don't they should be as important as disabled spaces though.

At any stage of parenting or heavy pregnancy I would have happily handed my 'parent' space over to a person with a disability.
    xx

• Options
    At our local Doctor's, all of the Disabled and P&C bays are combined due to a major cock-up when they built the car-park.

Its a new health centre and the car-park is a little multi-storey one.

All of the disabled bays were first put upstairs on the level that is the same level as the entrance to the health centre.

They then put signs up everywhere saying no pedestrians on the ramps and then only provided teeny weeny staircases for the people parked on lower levels.

Of course there was uproar because its dangerous for anyone to walk up a ramp with cars using them, let alone parents with small children, babies etc... people using buggies etc. and there was NO other way of getting up to the right level because even if you carried the buggy up and down the stairs, they just were far too small to do this!

So they had to re-do (as in re-paint!) all the spaces and now they are all combined P&C and disabled bays.

It works tho - there are ALWAYS plenty available. Although I hate that sometimes "older" people give me dirty looks for using "their" spaces.

Now they just need to get the car-park barriers working and all will be right in the world.......... LOL

xxx

[Modified by: MummyJoo on June 28, 2010 10:24 AM]