Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toddler and food!!!

Im so depressed at the moment!! My 15 month old usually loves his food and could happily eat all day but last few days hes refusing EVERYTHING!!!! At first i put it down to his teeth but i really think its a phase now. He will eat chocolate or a yog if i gave it to him but no proper meals its really getting me down. So with the not eating, and no longer drinking his milk at night i dont feel hes getting everything he needs. what do i do?! Its really stressing me out! Anyone else going through this or have gone through it would really like some tips! Thanks

Replies

• Options
    whenever sonny goes through a phase of not eating (happens every few months or so for a day or two), I just up his bottles, so he gets another bottle or a very milky tea bottle in the afternoon & I try to get him to drink a larger bottle at night.

I wouldn't worry loads though as lo will not starve himself, so just offer snacks even if it is just biscuits, digestives are good, as any calories are better than none imo.
  • Options
    I haven't really went through this phase with Kara as she usually eats her meals although there are days she is not as fussed as other days. As you may know Kara has Diabetes so I have to make sure she has the right amount of Carbs in eveyr meal. If she doesn't finish her dinner then I would make these carbs up with a yogurt or biscuits such as Rich Tea, Digestives or Malted Milk biscuits. At least then she is getting carbs. I would do as Beebee suggested and give him snacks such as biscuits. At least then he is eating something and not starving and getting enough. I would stick to plain biscuits though so he is not going to play you up eating chocolate and will not eat properly for you again.

Good luck.
  • Options
    My lo went through this a couple of weeks ago. I found that he ate more if I just let him graze all day so I left 'snack bowls' of fruit, biscuits, or dry cereals around where he could just wander up and pick at them as and when he felt like it. I still sat him down at meal times, so as not to let go of the routine, but I just did his faves such as fish fingers and spag shapes. He still didn't eat much of those but I didn't make a fuss. The innocent smoothies for kids were useful too. Watered down in a juice cup they would at least get some vits into him. I'm kinda scared to tell you this bit..... after a week of this he actually came out in chicken pox!!!! Don't panic otherwise meal times become battle grounds but bear in mind that he may be feeling a bit under the weather but hopefully NOT the pox.
  • Options
    thanks nessellis. I know hes been under the weather with his teeth To be honest i wouldnt mind if it was pox, better sooner rather than later i say!!
  • Options
    To be honest James got LOADS of spots but coped brilliantly. He would play for a while then just grab a book and snuggle on my knee to recharge his batteries then off he'd go again. We had 2 disturbed nights but that was the worst of it. Something that I was told is that lo's have no concept of scratching an itch so I think that's why they get through it more easily.
  • Options
    Hi Sam, i have to say i would be the opposite to everyone else here and i would not give snacks or anything other than meals and if he refuses then i would take it away. He will eventually eat something even if it is a few days down the line. giving snacks etc in my mind would only encourage him not to eat meals as he knows he will get something else.
    How many teeth has Jayden now? is he cutting back or eye teeth cause i find Ellie would be off her food at these times. xxxxx
  • Options
    Diane I understand what you are saying but its different with me and I just can't do that. Kara has to eat at set times and if she doesn't eat a dinner then I have to give her snack food to make it up. I just can't leave her to starve or it would have a drastic effect. I would just be glad they were eating something.
  • Options
    Diane I understand what you are saying but its different with me and I just can't do that. Kara has to eat at set times and if she doesn't eat a dinner then I have to give her snack food to make it up. I just can't leave her to starve or it would have a drastic effect. I would just be glad they were eating something.
  • Options
    Diane I was thinking that too with regards to snacks. I did give him one or two but not enough to fill him up. He seems to be eating ok now...still not back to normal but 97% better. He has been cutting 2 eye teeth, has all his back ones so thats what i put it down too xx