Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any other 13 month old dare devils?!!

My ds has no fear whatsoever,we were at the park today and he managed to climb up a cargo net,then wanted to climb down the rocks on the other side!
I'm pleased his physical development is there but am a little worried that he shows no fear at the minute!
Any other dare devils out there and how do you Mummies cope?!! x

[Modified by: nikr on 18 August 2010 17:37:05 ]

Replies

• Options
    My 13 month old boy is the same! He climbs up onto the back of the sofa and launches himelf onto the window sill then walks along it...scary!

On monday he was playing in the garden, I was out with him doing some gardening and I looked round to find him sat on my hammock rocking and sucking his thumb relaxing. I have absolutely no idea how he managed to get onto the hammock as I find it hard enough!

No real advice how to handle it but I'll be watching for replies!

K x
  • Options
    Yes!

Well, he's 15 months now and getting even more fearless (I didn't think it was possible!) As terrible as this sounds, I just leave him to it. I've learnt to pick my battles, I don't mind if he climbs on the sofa or the front of a small slide - taking him away just makes him even more determined!

But he knows not to scale the tv unit or lick plug sockets! I just have to watch him, from a distance! I've found trying to 'tame' him is pointless at this stage. There has been a few times my heart has almost stopped - yesterday he stacked up books and was trying to climb the stairgate into the kitchen, I caught him halfway over it! I like that he is adventurous, he's also gentle with toys/people and very social.

He has boundless energy, 7am - 7pm, 7 days a week, and climbing and exploring seem like good 'hobbies' to have!

That probably didn't help much! xx
  • Options
    Sounds exactly like my son Daniel! He started walking at 10 months and has been fearless ever since then - he's now 21 months old and he's only getting worse! So sorry ladies but there seems to be no end in sight!! :lol:

He climbs on everything, leaps all over the place, wants absolutely everything etc - always has been, and think he always will be! I try to let him have his freedom and only stop him doing the really dangerous stuff, though I started telling him to be careful when he was about a year old, in a really low and calm voice like what I use when telling him off. He's started to realise that when I tell him that he has to go slower and it sometimes is enough to make him think twice about stuff - he still does it but he thinks it through first!!
  • Options
    Oh no! I thought I'd read this to see what older babies got up to. Ds1 was a dream and not like this. He's 2 years 10m now. But ds2 is another story!

He started to walk at 8 months 28 days and has never looked back. He's 11m now and into everything he shouldn't be. I hoped he'd get better/easier to handle. But maybe not!! I'm waiting for him to climb out of his cot OMG!!!

xxx
  • Options
    Wow Nimmy, walking at 8 months?? How on earth did you manage with that?! Ollie is 11 months now and like the rest of you ladies have said abut your boys, he is completely fearless and into everything! I'm actually looking forward to him walking (hopefully only another few weeks and we'll be there) because he is getting very frustrated at only being able to crawl and seems to be even more adventurous than he would be if he was walking..... (maybe?!) xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies ladies,i'm so glad my ds isn't the only one out there with no fear whatsoever!!
    He's definately going to keep me on my toes i think!! x
  • Options
    Argh, I have no idea how it happened but he managed to open a sealed doorstop packet today, and posted all the screws into my keyhole in the front door!!! Have spent ages with a magnetic screwdriver trying to fish them out!! :lol: Gotta love em!