Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toddler and puppy - a terrible combination

Our daughter is 2 on 21st and we bought a 7wk old puppy on saturday.......OH THE STRESS
Sometimes its fun and the puppy keeps her occupied and felicity tires him out but when they both want my attention its really hard work. We live in a 1st floor flat so I have to carry him down to garden whilst felicity runs riot upstairs, most of the time i give her something to keep her in highcair but its not always that simple when your trying to potty train a puppy and have to rush off. Im just glad were not potty training felicity yet! He does sleep a lot which is good but he is getting more confident each day he's getting used to us and has to be told off a lot more. Another problem is when felicity decides to bring all her toys in front room and puppy starts chewing them. Its a constant battle and making sure theres nothing around for him to get, like when felicity is eating. Its taken me half an hr to write this post because they're playing and i cant trust them to not hurt each other. Am I over exagurating? Its probably harder with twin toddlers!

anyone else in or been in the same situation,

xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi
    i cant belive ive just read your post and thought i was the only person in the world in exactly the same situation. we brought home an 8wk old puppy on new years day. we have a 2 year old she will be 3 on valentines day. ..THE STRESS!!!! i thought i was going to be really oranganised and after having quite a difficult 1st year with my daughter thought a puppy would be easy. how wrong i was.
    even though they can be separated i cannot do anything without one hurting the other usually the puppy hurting lucy. she is very nippy and lucy doesnt help by running away from her.
    she pics her up when she is sound asleep and shifts her about like a doll.
    she is showing some signs of jelousy by wanting more cuddles than usal with us.
    lola the puppy howls all night long so havent had any sleep for 5 nights we usually end up putting its basket in our room. which i was adiment i wasnt going to do.
    she still isnt allowed out so she does her business in kitchen she is paper trained but as she can get through the baby gate had to put chicken wire on it which meant i have to climb over which is a complete pain in the ass cause when you've got a little one and a puppy the kitchen is probably the most used room. and that pup couldnt have immediate access to kitchen.
    i hope you fell better now knowing that someone else is suffering with you.

• Options
    oh im so glad im not the only one!
    buddy (dog) howled all night long 1st nite and on and off for 2 nights after and since has shut up at night apart from a cry 6.30am to go out for business. he isnt very well paper trained but were getting there and he sometimes wants to go out for poos. he had his 1st jab on fri (cos 8wks) so he still cant go out yet but we just carry him down to garden as we live in flat. cant wait to take him out for long walks.
    at night we lock him in kitchen so he has learnt quickly that its ok to be on his own. i know what u mean about climbing over stairgate, im constantly doing it cos felicity asking for food all the time. luckily buddy cant fit through bars though so thats a bonus.
    its true about the jealousy thing, felicity asks for more cuddles especially when buddys on my lap!!

what breed is your dog?

fiona x
  • Options
    hi we too are in a first floor flat but also cantr wait to take her out for long walks im hoping its going to be my weightloss cure. lola is a patterdale terrier she is gorgous but today i just couldnt cope anymore and for the first time ever have bundled them both over my mums feels weird but i really needed a break. i phoned to see how they were. couldnt belive it absolutly fine no probs lucy being great with lola and lola same with lucy. i think i just worry too much about them hurting each other. and just get so wound up. i did try an dbe firm with her being in the kitchen but she is so loud i worry neighbours will get anoid. she doesnt give up either she keeps going unitil i go in there.
    what breed is buddy?

nikki x
  • Options
    he is a whippet cross bedlington, when ppl 1st see him think hes a jack russel cos he has markings like one but definatly not and will get bigger than a JR. my mil has a jack russel and a black patterdale, the patterdale is really old now but cute when younger.
    i bet you are stressed out with a terrier. were lucky that our whippet will sleep a lot when out of puppy stage and are like greyhounds very docile x
  • Options
    my sister in law has a whippet cross jackrussell she was a very naughty pup always chewing things and very nippy they lost her before xmas for 3 weeks but she was spotted eventually and they got her back home.
    lola is getting better with lucy (my daughter) but now shes decided to stop using paper for her business and is now doing it everywhere im gonna try some puppy mats that encourage them to do it as they are specially sented.
    Just hope once we start walking her she will settle down.
  • Options
    we tried those puppy mats - no good he just drag them about and didnt pee on them as much as paper. we just give him a load of toys, bones, chewy things to play with and after his nap we take him to garden then play with for an hr to wear him out. it seems to keep him occupied away from chewing furniture. what i really hate is when the dog does a no.2 then tries to eat it and steps in it - yuck , wat is that all about?? i dont understand it! x x
  • Options
    how was your day today?
    Lucy and pup are getting on better. but we popped out today leaving lola at home i could hear her howling as soon as i got out my car, god knows how long it had been going on we were only out an hour. and i left the radio on too.
    Then got in to discover she had pooped right in front of the gate (she was shut in the kitchen) and where she was jumping around panicing to get out she was totally covered in it and its was all over the gate & chicken wire and absolutly everywhere yuk yuk yuk!! so pup ened up in the bath again.
    then blow me she did exactly the same thing later whilst we were having tea. ive papered the whole floor again but for some reason she chooses to do it all right by the gate where there is no paper as i want to stop her from doing it there. so she ends up jumping or sitting in it. because thats the only way in and out of kitchen.
    She is also peeing everywhere if she is left to roam around and pooping so if i dont watch her watch her she still catches me off gaurd.
    this is so stressful.
    You say you take your puppy into the garden i wish we could do that too but i thought they werent allowed outside until 11 days after their 2nd jabs so round 14 weeks i will be stir crazy by then.
    nikki
    xxx
  • Options
    It was better because we went out too! took lo to toddlers so nice to get bk there. buddy was fine on his own only whined when he heard me come in. but i left him in kitchen for another hr whilst i chilled out on my own (lo was asleep in pram) so he whined for a minute and went bk to sleep. so all in all i left him shut in kitchen for 3 and half hrs.
    After the 1st night he done a poo right in front of door so of course when we opened it it morning the door went over it smudging it everywhere...yuk!! and the floor was covered in pee.
    Only last night and today he has started to rip the newspaper to shreds, so annoying.
    We can take our puppy to garden because no other dogs go in there and the jabs prevent them from getting deseases from other dogs!!
    Felicity and buddy getting on well too.

Are you getting much more sleep at night??
    fiona x x x
  • Options
    It was better because we went out too! took lo to toddlers so nice to get bk there. buddy was fine on his own only whined when he heard me come in. but i left him in kitchen for another hr whilst i chilled out on my own (lo was asleep in pram) so he whined for a minute and went bk to sleep. so all in all i left him shut in kitchen for 3 and half hrs.
    After the 1st night he done a poo right in front of door so of course when we opened it it morning the door went over it smudging it everywhere...yuk!! and the floor was covered in pee.
    Only last night and today he has started to rip the newspaper to shreds, so annoying.
    We can take our puppy to garden because no other dogs go in there and the jabs prevent them from getting deseases from other dogs!!

fiona x x x
  • Options

fiona x x x
  • Options

fiona x x x
  • Options
    hi fiona,
    Things actually better today pup much more relaxed lucy is still being a little heavy handed and sqeezes her really tight sometimes, im terrified she will squish her to death.
    We went out again this morning lucy was back to nursery so it was nice getting some more me time.
    when we returned we literally tiptoed all the way up stairs to hear weather she was howling. it was slient thank goodness but i left radio on quite loud.
    Didnt get back to too much mess on floor but still in front of gate and again on her feet. she has to work out sooner or later its a dumb thing to do cause she always ends up in the bath which she really hates.
    We have alot of cats in our area so prb shouldnt take her out till 2nd jabs as cats can carry nasty germs and if she got scratched it may not protect her.
    god it cant come sooner enough!!
    Still on we go at least its no where near as bad as yesterday so things getting easier.
    regarding sleep she has wormed her way into to our room in her basket she doesnt poo/wee until she wakes so i put her straight in kitchen to do it in morning. but she has started sleeping in her basket alot more so i will try moving her back into kitchen again and see what happens.

nikki
    xxx
  • Options
    hi nikki,
    felicity squeezes buddy too hard too and tries picking him up. Buddy been a pain today had to shut him in kitchen - felicity had 1 slipper on and buddy barking at her trying to bite it then he wouldnt listen to me when i said 'no' and as i was putting the other slipper on he went barking mad and still didnt back off. I went into kitchen calling him but as I went to escape he ran so fast bk out. So had to carry him out but he kept snapping at my face and hands. I was so wound up. But now feeling better cos he still in kitchen and i have some quality time with felicity!!
    I tiptoed up stairs too yesterday when got home but creaky stairs let him hear me, typical!! we leave the radio on too.
    Probably best to keep them in kitchen from as early as possible so they dont know anything else. We have kept buddy in kitchen with door shut from night 1 and we dont hear a peep from him since 3rd night until 7am when OH gets up for work. Do you have a door on kitchen or do you just have the stairgate? We didnt have a door on ours and decided to put it bk on before we bought him so the whining isnt as loud. And if we want door open to get in and out we have a stairgate in hall stopping him from going to bedrooms and lounge and stops felicity getting to kitchen. Think it helps a lot.
    Hope your having a good day, fiona x
  • Options
    hi ya, oh dear we had that first few days alot of snapping and nippy i either firmly tap her nose ir hold her mouth shout for a few seconds. lola love bare feet so we all wear slippers all day other wise she will have you.
    (can you belive it she just pooed right in front of me on living room floor ahahahah!!!) so i out her straight in kitchen without speaking to her or shouting she is now very uphappy and whining well she can do her timeout.
    No we havent got a door on kitchen only living room so she can be heard really loud from bedrooms. she probably would only whine for a bit now so maybe will try again after weekend. my stress levels are still high so maybe it wont sound so loud after the weekend.
    unfortunalty if i get up in the night to nip to the loo she think its get up time and starts bombing round the flat. fortunatly lucy has started staying in her own bed all night and doesnt get disturbed by her madness.
    its a shame nobody else has joined our thread like A dog triainer or something we could really use the advice.
    keep in touch
    nik
    xxxx
    if she not care i will stick her in pampers!!
  • Options
    I know, think I need some professional advice, can't take the dog snapping and going hyper anymore. My OH has a whippet book and it says to stay calm with the puppy otherwise it may grow up to be a little sod basically. But how can I stay calm when he keeps jumping up on sofa, barking at felicitys slippers, snapping at our hands when playing etc etc????? I cant wait for him to be older and sleeping all day. Think we're going backwards in the training because he doesnt listen when we tell him off, so stressed.
    And he keeps dragging papers around, fed up of constantly cleaning up s**t and p**s.
    Sorry for the rant, just need some 'me time' and to feel clean if that makes sense

Fiona x
  • Options
    oh dear sounds like you've had a really stressful day. i just re-read my last post im very sorry for the poor spelling and grammer think i'd had a stressful evening. im not the best typist but i can usually spell.
    Think today was our best day ive enjoyed some really nice one on one time with lucy, lola seemed alot less hetic. and fianlly got the flat straight from xmas all thoughs new toys have only just found homes.
    lola had a really good day today with toileting she did it on the paper everytime cant belive it. i moved it into the hall (its got no carpet) ive already booked a steam cleaner cause our carpets/ sofa are new and we scrimped and saved to get them. the thought of poop/wee on them ois heart
    she has been good when and left and nipping improving. lucy is still getting into big trouble with the heavy handedness but she is willing to listen on the correct way to handle her. think lola is now about 11 weeks she was born on 27th oct i thought she was younger. so can i still get her 2nd jabs when she reaches 12 weeks or as she was a bit late in having them do i have to wait the extra weeks? (usually given 8 and 12 weeks)
    we really cracked down hard on her nipping and biting my s-in-law has a patterdale and a whippet. their patterdale isnt good with children so im really trying to make sure lola know she is last on the pecking line. lucy feeds her to and i do let her be in the kitchen whilst she eating and take lolas food away again just to make sure she will not get protective with food etc..
    My s-in-law's whippet used to drive them bonkers for a good 6months she ate shoes, remote controls books you name it she distroyed it. she also had the companionship of their other dog but was left for long periods. she used to be really nippy but they didnt do much about it her toiletting was bad but now she is an absolutly lovely dog. i felt just like you last weekend i nearly returned her to breeders i really couldnt cope but things are settling down.

hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your little monster!!nikki x x
  • Options
    this is lola!
    x x
  • Options
    arhhh she is so tiny, buddy is twice her size at least.
    Had a better day today, feeling calmer. It was raining so got felicity dressed in peppa pig raincoat & weelies and walked to shops splashing in every puddle!! She loved it. Also done some painting, got loads of paper out on floor and used glitter, arty stuff and glue - lots of messy fun.
    I let Buddy in front room a lot today and played with him so think it helped. So I done today what you done yesterday. I too have found homes for her new toys.
    Oh god six months how will I cope and were ttc another baby!
    Buddy is the same will destroy anything that is on the floor so i'm constantly picking felicity's toys up, he's also jumping up on sofa all the time. Telling him off and pushing him away but still hasnt got it yet, sure he will do soon.
    He was born on 9th Nov.
    I've tried putting a pic of him on here but cant, the file size is too big for avatar!! Nor can I copy and paste.

Fiona x x
  • Options
    If you have a fb account you can add me and look at pics on there or i can send you a pic on email?? x
  • Options
    Hi so glad you had a better day, Lucy had nursery this morning so i really enjoyed pottering around.
    But as soon as she got home nothing changed she was really hetic with lola today pulled her by the ears, tail and dropped her. she lays on her so hard im so worried i tell her all day long to be careful she just wont listen so lola ends up back in the kitchen and lucy in her room having an almighty tantrum. and as soon as hubby comes in she starts again in get immediatly wound up and hits the roof. he cant see it getting better we are worried that lola will become aggressive towards lucy and may even bite her badly as she gets bigger.
    i just dont know what to do im so stressd over it i feel sorry for lucy cause i think lola has turned her lfe upside down but i feel bad for lola cause she is'nt really the problem now.
    Help!!