Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Wont walk?!?!

hi fellow mummies,

i wondered if you had any advise for me, my daughter megan who is 18 months wont walk by her self, we have to hold both her hands, or her waist, she jumps about on the sofa, walks around it and her cott and pulls herself up onto things but she wont stand up when there isnt an object to hold onto or our hands arn't their

do you think she is nearly there but just abit scared?

she never crawled, but shuffled on her bum and the nursery said they'v only ever had 1 lil boy that shuffled and he walked late to.

would you go to the doctors for a checkup?

look forward to your advise

samantha

:roll: xx

Replies

• Options
    Sounds like she is still building up the confidence to go it alone. She is able to take her own weight fine so try not to worry to much.

Me and my OH used to sit a few feet apart and encourage my lo to walk to us in turns and it didnt take long for him to walk himself.

You could phone your HV for some reassurance to put your mind at ease.
  • Options
    My friend's daughter was a bum shuffler and she didn't walk until 19.5 months.
    Apparently it's something to do with the right/left mechanism in the brain. Crawling helps the LO to suss out the "right foot, then left foot" movement while bum shuffling doesn't.
    I would only go to GP if she wasn't pulling up or cruising but you've said she does both of those.

I know it's easy for me to say but try not to worry too much.
    Liz x
  • Options
    Sounds like my mates boy, he used to bum shuffle then started crawling around 18-19 months and then walked pretty soon after that. Think he was partly lazy and partly used to big sister fetching and carrying for him.

Sounds like she's just not quite ready yet - but if she's taking her weight fine and cruising I'm sure she'll get there.

Have you tried sitting just out of her reach with something she really really wants? thats what got cole going - he's mad for remote controls and phones and me and hubby kept passing the remote back and forth to get him to walk..mean aren't we lol
  • Options
    My daughter is almost 17 months and is exactly the same. She wants to be on her feet all the time but has to be holding onto my finger or else the sofa. She would even hold onto the pram and walk herself. Everyday I just think she is going to go. She never crawled either but bum shuffled within the last month or so. She doesn't pull herself up though as I don't think she really knows how to. This week though she has started walking along herself with her push along walker and seems to be gaining more confidence but she has an awful fear of falling. Everytime she falls on her bum she cries and is afraid. I think she needs to get over this fear and gain a bit of confidence and maybe your lo is the same. Also Kara is very lazy and would rather we'd get her things that getting them herself but we don't let that happen as we encourage her a lot to walk by holding things out and also letting her walk between us and up to the sofa from a distance. She arches her back though at times when she knows we are going to let go. So crafty.

I don't think there is anything to worry about with your lo. All children are different and will do things when they are ready and not before. Kara was premature so her development is supposed to be 5 1/2 weeks behind but I haven't noticed this with anything else that she has been doing. She was also recently been diagnosed with Diabetes and was off her feet for a couple of weeks due to being in hosp and being very sick so I am taking that into account as well. Before she was sick the diabetes would have been working on her and she just didn't have the energy to get up and walk.

Some people are probably saying we are lucky that they are not walking yet as it is a nightmare watching them but like you I am very anxious to have Kara walking and would love her to just get that independence.

Good luck and I hope your lo takes off any day now.

Sorry for rambling on but I know how you feel.

Louise
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that I knew someone whose daughter d????dnt walk unt????l 19months but she had been d????agnosed w????th a hyper mob????le ankle and needed spec????al boots to support them. It may be worth you gett????ng ????t checked out ????f you are concerned.
  • Options
    my lil boy was a bum shuffler he didnt start doing tht till he bout 16 months old and started standing at 18 months but also wudnt do it on his own he had to hold on to summit then when he was 19 months old he just all of a sudden got up and walked. all kid r different, my sons auntie didnt walk till she was 22 months old xxx
  • Options
    My little boy didnt walk till he was 19 months old, he was referred to a paediatrician and physiotherapist and was diagnosed with hypermobility in all his joints and hyper extension at his knees. What this basically means is that the joints have a greater range of movement and are therefore not able to support the childs weight as well, the physio said to me that Isaac feels like he is walking on a trampoline all the time as the joints have too much give in them, they will stiffen up as he gets older so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. My older daughter has it too but not as bad as Isaac. He is also still being seen by the paediatrician as although he is now walking he cant stand himself up unless he pulls himself up on me or the furniture, he has said basically its becuase he doesnt feel safe but he wants to keep an eye on him anyway.

on the other hand like everyone else has said bum shufflers do walk late so it could just be that.

• Options
    Thanks ladies, its nice to know megans not the only late walker, iv made a docs appointment for next week to get her check out just incase, n will let you know what they say, shes is happy walking and diving about on the sofa or bed just not on the floor by herself, fingers crossed will be just lack of confidence,

hopefully we'll be chasing after our little bum shufflers in no time hehe xx
  • Options
    My daughter is almost 17 months and the same. She won't even walk holding hands or her waist. If she needs to transport things she will walk on her knees or push her pushalong toys on her knees but won't walk on her feet unless moving around the sofas or getting into her toy box.

I took Freya to the doc as her toes curl under each other (that is what made me think why she wasn't walking) but when she stands her toes straighten as they should. Doc said her toes will sort themselves out as she becomes more mobile, heavier and her bones harden.

I really wouldn't worry about it. She will get the confidence one day and be gone. You will then forever be chasing her. LoL. I am in a way glad Freya isn't walking as she is still my baby and not quite my toddler yet.

Hope this helps.

England V Italy 6 nations kick off now, Freya in bed, cuppa at hand. Happy days

Cheer us on girls!!

Kerry
    X X X