Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Double buggy- is it a waste ?

Hi, I'm expecting no 2 in January all being well, and my son will be 26mths then, he's already walking and ATM I'm thinking just to leave it as 1 pushchair as I can't see that a double would get enough use, ESP as he may be starting nursery at 2 1/2 so.... I was just wondering whether any of you with 2 little uns and a double buggy wished you hadn't bothered Lol thanks

Replies

• Options
    My son was 24 months when Molly was born and we opted for the Phil&Teds Sport and couldn't live without it! To start with Molly was in the cocoon and Zach sat up top but Molly outgrew it at 3 months so was then converted to the double seat on the back. it slightly reclines so Molly would still sleep in it and we got a buggysnuggle so she was nice and cosy.

Zach is now 2 years 9 months old and still goes in the buggy when we go into town or long walks but if we just go to the park Molly sits in the main seat and we put the picnic mat, ball and snacks on the back seat. Zach walks beside me with a Littlelife harness type bag which he doesn't really need cos he likes to walk beside Molly.

The tandem back seat is very easily removed so can be a single buggy and the main seat lies flat but i tend to still put the back seat on even if i just have Molly to store shopping etc.

I really do think the Phil&Teds is a perfect option for single or double use. I LOVE mine!!!

x

http://lilypie.com/pic/2009/07/01/hAld.jpg

http://lbff.lilypie.com/brWAp1.png

• Options
    hiya hun im due in january also and my DD will be 26 months as well I am getting a phil and teds dash with doubles kit just incase as faith still likes to have naps sometimes wen we are out and her legs get tired sometimes so all in all its a good idea 4 me, she def wont stay on a buggy board
  • Options
    I have a Phil & Teds Sport & I wouldn't be without it & I have seen so many people using the double seat as extra space for shopping etc too. I also have the kit that makes the doubles seat into a bouncy chair when visiting - this has come in very handy when visiting people that don't have small kids or baby stuff!
    If I'm walking to town on my own I couldn't have my toddler walking as he'd just leg it & it's still too far for him!
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/K8A2p1.png

• Options
    Ive got a cheapie mothercares own side by side double, and it id great. I had 16 months between mine so it was essential. I didnt want to spend a fortune as i had spent loads on my big pushing pram, and a single buggy a year and half before.

I still use it on occasion and my oldest is 3 and a half and the wee one is 27 months. If we go to the shops they both get fed up walking.

Its great, easy to push, fold and not too wide.

Hanging on to it for next baby, im 10 weeks and am sure i will still use it now and then

Gemm x
    2+10 wks
  • Options
    My daughter wsa 2 1/2 when Isaac was born and I got the phil and teds, I wouldnt have been without it, I couldnt drive at the time and we live 1.5 miles from town which is a long way to expect a 2 year old to walk, tbh even if I couldrive then I would still have bought a double buggy. x
  • Options
    Hi

Im also in a similar situation. My dd will be 26months when baby is born in nov. The thing that is putting me off buying a double pram is that she is a really good walker & doesn't like to be in her pram. But then on the other hand i dont think i could cope with a baby in a pram & a 26 month old on reins shopping etc. If we go to the park or anything now my dd normally walks & we dont bother with her pram.

I wondered whether to buy one of those baby slings for baby so if i go shopping i can put baby in the sling & dd can go in pram.

Just an idea!
  • Options
    Well when I'm going to the local shop or a friends house nearby I use a sling for Hugh & stroller for Rawdon - as per my AVATAR, we'd just got back from an outing! I have Hugh in a Storchenweige sling which is a long length of specially woven fabric which I then wrap according to instructions...I do have a 'normal' carrier too but that isn't as comfy for me!
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/K8A2p1.png

• Options
    I have a sling and would definitely work for short trips but I found it a nightmare if out and about: going to the loo and juggling a sling, reaching for something on bottom shelf, trying clothes on was a big no no,! Hmmmmm still undecided but thanks for all the input image
  • Options
    hi, my dd was 28 months old when her lil sister came along in february. I didn't buy a double pushchair as she is a very good walker. She was brilliant for the first few weeks and would walk with me just holding her hand and reins when crossing roads and then holding the pushchairr the rest of the time. Then she really started to play up and everytime i needed to go into town she would constantly ask to be picked up (mostly because she has tummy problems and when she walks it sometimes hurts her) and when i couldn't hold her she would have a paddy and just lay on the ground screaming! I got so fed up that my brother lent me his double pushchair which is a mothercare one, its very heavy but does the job. Anyway i only used this when i knew that i was going to be walking around for a long time but if i just nipped into town i made her walk. I then told my health visitor about the problems i was having with her walking and she told me to make her walk as much as possible as she we know that she can do it and she was just playing me up. Obviously i wouldn't expect her to walk for miles! Now i don't really use the double pushchair and she enjoys walking around and seems to be used to it now. I only use it if she is having a bad day with her tummy or if the weather is bad and i need to go out for some reason which is very rare-especially now its summer.
    Sometimes when i'm out and just want to look around its hard work having her walk as i need to keep an constant eye on her but its not too bad, it just depends on how you feel about it. If you'd rather he walks then he should get used to it but every child is different. You could get a double buggy like the phil and teds one and then you have always got a place for him to sit if he gets fed up with walking, or buy a buggy board and just use a single pushchair-i only didn't do this because i have loola pushchair and the buggy board isn't ideal with this pushchair.

xxx
  • Options
    i had a 17 month age gap so a double was essential. I have had a few. At moment I have the mamas and papas jet pulse as it folds really small and is light. I also have the urban detour 3 wheeler for outings like the beach etc...

I would say, buy one off ebay rather than new. Phil and Teds have never appealed to me but those who have one seem to love them. The idea that it is a single when you dont need the double is very appealing.

Good luck

d xx