Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Have you registered for a school/ nursery?

Hi
My lo had his 18-24 month check up yesterday and the hv said that we should already have his name on the waiting list for nursery and school. I had absolutely no idea about this and she's made me panic. My lo is nearly 20 months and he should be starting nursery just after he's 3 but I didn't realise that you had to get oranised so early. Have I missed something or is this common knowledge and it's just me who doesn't have a clue?
What is everyone else doing?
xx

Replies

• Options
    hi

i rang my local coucil to talk to them about it and they said yo register them a year before they start my daughter will start next year so i have to register her this year its best to ring up and ask its always the best way to find out as alot of places can be different
  • Options
    HI
    I've looked into this for my daughter, I found out that for school, you will receive a letter a year before they are due to attend (the letter is generated from being on your doctors list, the list goes to the schooling authorities, so if you're registered with a doctor you will get a letter automatically, usually sent out in october ) you can choose 3 schools. As for nursery I think it depends on the area in which you live, I live in a small village (have checked out other nearby villages too) and it seems there's no problem joining a pre-school (this is mornings or afternoons only not all day) here we can join at the begining of any term, but I have heard of places which only let you join in september and some have waiting lists So guess it depends how busy your area is, you have to pay for pre-school until they are 3 but there are cut off points I think they are 31 march and 31 august and 31 december so if the 3 rd birthday is say 4 september you still have to pay until january.
  • Options
    Hi. I've got my son's name down for pre-school to start Sept 09 because they have quite a long waiting list. In our area (Stockport) you can't join a waiting list for schools, you just have to apply with everyone else a year before they're due to start. I didn't have a clue either vic, I only know because I've been through it already with my daughter!
  • Options
    It's a bit of a minefield and really depends on your area. We were lucky in that we know someone who owns a good nursery and started our daughter there when she was 2 and a half. She's three now (4 in December) and we have to wait until December before applying for schools. We then have to put her name down at a school so that the council will then send us a pack early next year, then we pick three schools and wait to see which one we are allocated next April.
  • Options
    hiya..my dd started nursery on monday shes going 2 mornings per week she is 2 in aug...she gets 15 1/2 hrs free preschool when shes 3 and we dont have to book her in the local school she automaticaly gets a place if we want one when shes 4...she will be the youngest in the school..x
  • Options
    the local school where we live infants part you and start there when you are 3 as it has nursery section and they go 5 days a week, 9-2.50pm my son had his name down since he was 9 month old