Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Fussy eaters

My son is 3 and he has become a very fussy eater. He refuses to eat anything sensible and lives on chips (although thankfully I can do home made ones in oven), fish fingers, chicken in breadcrumbs, sausages, sausage rolls etc. He does also love bread and will eat ham and cheese, yoghurts etc. He is good about his breakfast and usually has weetabix and a banana (something like that). He loves fruit but the only veg he will eat is Corn-on-the-cob (he won't even eat sweetcorn). I have the annabel karmel book and have tried disguising veg etc in all sorts of ways but he looks through everything to work out what it is and refuses to eat what he does not want. He gags on it if you keep at him to eat something he does not want. He also won't eat rice or noodles and some days will eat pasta and other won't. Even then I have to mix the good pasta in with some themed tin pasta so that he thinks that is what he is eating. I should also say that it is only his dinners that I worry about.

He is a very good and intelligent child in every other way and I just do not know what to do with him. I don't want every dinner time to become a battle and I also don't want his little sister (who will eat anything) to learn his bad habits.

Has anyone else been through this and can give me some suggestions?

Replies

• Options
    hi laurel
    his diet doesnt sound so bad, i think your doing a great job.
    my 2 yr old used to eat anything but has become fussy now - like you im delighted he loves fruit but veg is a problem. i make veg soups using various ones and then add some tomatoe puree to a little bit of it and pour it over his pasta which he loves. he wll eat mashed potatoes with butter and milk in it to make it creamy and i add a little pureed caulflower ir sprouts that he cant see, not to much to alter the flavour that much. i also make a blitz of mushroom courget and tomatoes and add it to couscous which he likes.
    all the best.xx
  • Options
    Thanks for saying that Megmum. I get so paranoid about what he is eating that I am almost embarrassed to say what he eats as I keep thinking it seems so unhealthy. He is not fat or skinny, he is fit and healthy but I still worry is he getting too much salt, is he getting enough vitamins and minerals etc. I give him a daily supplement - the chewy bassets vits with omega 3. I love the idea of those foods you mentioned but my fussy boy won't eat soup, mashed potato or mushrooms (what's a mum to do!). I keep hoping as he gets older he will get braver about trying other foods. So far seeing his dad, little sister and I, and even his cousins eating other foods has not persuaded him.
  • Options
    hi,
    well my little girl is a nightmare at eating, all she will eat is smiley faces, one make of sausages chicken nuggets and pasta and every now and then she will chow down on a chinese, thats it fullstop. when she was at private nursery she ate everything they gave her for dinner like curry, pasta bake and stew but thats coz she was with other kids now she is in pre school and she doesnt have a dinner there. (maybe its my cooking lol)
    i always put new stuff on her plate but she never eats them, i have tried blackmail that didnt work lol.
    but she is getting taller, altho she does only weigh 33lbs and she is 4 in march but the health visitor and doctors say she is healthy.
    as she gets older i am hoping she will try new things coz i am out of ideas lol.
    good luck. xx
  • Options
    mine is exactly the same, could be the same child! lol! won't eat a single veg. only fruit he'll eat is banana, raisins, would eat fish fingers and chips and cheese sandwiches every day if i let him. tried making my own pasta sauce, veggie fingers, vegetable soup nothing works it's so frustrating! no help am i!! x.
  • Options
    thank god mine isnt the only one, i thought it was my cooking. if its not processed she wont eat it, ive started buying dried fruit pieces instead of giving her sweets which seems to be working at the min, but im not sure if they are good or not. being a parent is hard work and gets me all confused lol. xxx