Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Wow... look mummy my finger fits up my nose!

Hello.
My dd Erin is almost 18mnths and has just discovered her finger fits up her nose! I keep telling her no, it's yack but she is persistant and keeps doing it, the thing that concerns me is she shoves it so far up i'm worried she will hurt herself. Also she keeps trying to put her finger up her baby brothers nose (he's 5mnths and does not appreciate it!) Does any of your lo's do this, what do you say to them? She is throwing major tantrums at the mo which i am trying to ignore....
Any tips gratefully received. :\?
Thanks in advance.
Katie, Erin and Joe. x

Replies

• Options
    Lily tries to shove her fingers up my or OH's nose. I believe most toddlers do it - it's there way of exploring, even though it seems disgusting to us.
    Sorry haven't got any tips on how to stop it (other than repeatedly telling them no), but just thought you might like to know it's normal!!
  • Options
    lol cole has just started putting his finger up his nose, and tonight he was putting his fingers in our ears. The only thing we do discourage him from doing is putting fingers in our eyes - we just tell him no, and take his hand away or move him away.

it hasn't worked well yet though. Not sure whats worse - the fingers in the eyes or the fact that he tries to put the antenna from the monitor up his daddys nose! lol
  • Options
    this made me laugh coz my dd Chloe (17mnths) started doing this the other day, then coming up to me and giving me her boogies! wonder where she got that from........
  • Options
    I will never forget the look of revalation on my lo's face when he realised that his finger fitted up his nose... The first thing we did was make a 'yucky' noise and pull his finger out. This, very quickly, turned into a game so we just began to ignore it. The novelty soon wore off and he moved onto the next new thing.
  • Options
    Thank God other toddlers are doing this too as I thought it was just Kara having bad habits already. She sticks her finger up her own nose and I just remove it and try not to say anything. She eventually gets bored and moves onto something else but the next day she may do it again. lol as I am typing this she is sticking her finger up her daddy's nose.
  • Options
    i ask lennon where his nose is and it goes straight up there,i ask him where anybody elses noses are and the finger goes up theirs also lol,its when the finger goes to go in the mouth i get worried
  • Options
    You think thats bad...today we shared our biscuits with cole (bad i know tut tut) and he decided it was a good idea to stick not just one crummy finger up one of my nostrils, but the second crummy finger up my other nostril!

Yucky horrid little monkey!!
  • Options
    hummmm, I'm a bad mummy...I ask my LO where his bogeys are & he puts his finger up his nose! I also ask where his boobies are & he knows that too...I guess it's funny at the moment but will backfire on me soon...my MIL bent over to put her boots on the other day & he said 'boobies', well they are rather large! lol!
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/RRvn0/.png

• Options
    Freya has been shoving her finger up her nose since she was around 6 months old and loses it up there. Her nose doesn't even look that big, LoL. The only good thing about it is she has learned to blow her nose by doing this so I don't have permantly running noses or that awful sniffing.

ErinsMummy
    I am having another girl and we have decided on the name Erin for this lo. Its such a loverly name.

Kerry, Freya and Pink Bump
    X X X
  • Options
    lennon has realised today that if he digs well enough something comes out oh the joys!!
  • Options
    Aw congrats Pumpkin Patch. Erin is a lovely name... if your Erin is anything like my Erin you will be very lucky.. when is she due? Any middle names? My Erin is Erin Wendy (Wendy is after my mam who died when i was young)
  • Options
    Lily constantly has her finger up her nose and now I've noticed she's doing it to get our attention! Probably since she was about 10months, its awful though.x
  • Options
    i was lol when I saw the title of this!

You cannot avoid it - its a toddler thing!

All I do is say eurgh! thats disgusting! or eurgh thats dirty!! and move his hand away. (It usually goes straight bk up there mind) xx