Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my daughter got run over by motorised wheelchair

It happened yesterday and I'll let you know now that she is ok (thank god)
We were in a shop in town with my friend and her daughter. I stepped out with felicity (who is only 2!) holding her hand down the step and I let go and turned left to get the pram and within seconds I heard her scream 'mummy help me' and as I looked she was on the floor under this motorised wheelchair with an old man on it. As I went to get her the man moved forward on top of her and I screamed 'get off her get off her whilst holding her and lifting this thing up as he was obviously making no attempt to reverse or anything. Eventually I freed her and I just went into shock. I held her so close and sat on the floor in the middle of the street whilst people sat around us to help. She was crying I was shaking, a woman suggested taking her shoes off in case her feet swell up. At that moment I saw the old man still on his thing and I felt so angry I shouted at him 'dont you have any fucking control over that thing'. He said nothing, didnt even apologise but I did hear him say something to someone so he could talk! Felicity's friend started crying, poor thing she said' felicity's been run over'. The owner of the shop was very helpful and said im in shock and to get us inside where the sun isnt on us. I realised I should call OH but all I could manage was 'felicity's had an accident' I could hear in his voice he thought the worse & i felt terrible but i didnt know what to say so i passed him over to my friend and she explained. Soon the paramedic showed then Lee, then police and ambulance. Felicity at this point wanted to sit in her pram and had no problem moving her feet but didnt want anyone near her but me. We decided it was best to get her checked at hospital. When we were there she had an x-ray which she hated and then waited 2hrs whilst she was up and talking and walking about. He said there is no fractures but just tissue damage so she may have swollen ankle for 7 days.
Looking at her today she has grazes and bruises over her legs and swollen left ankle. She keeps telling us 'naughty man hurt my leg', apart from that she is fine and happy so im happy but still traumatised by the "road traffic accident" as the police call it and play it over in my head seeing her under that thing.
From my friends point of view she saw the man knock her down then carry on over her. The owner of th shop said he sees those wheelchairs whizzing round that corner every day and they think they own the paths. Im so scared to take her out and let her walk I want to rap her in cotton woll and stay in forever because I just think what if it had been a car or he ran over her head or anything worse could have happened if I didnt lift the thing.

Replies

• Options
    Poor little thing, and poor you as well. I don't think I'd ever let Millie out of the pushchair again if that happened. Glad she seems to be ok this morning. Are the police doing anything about it? I've always thought it was ridiculous that motorised wheelchairs are allowed on paths without having to have any insurance or licence or anything. They are an accident waiting to happen, my dad once had to swerve across the road to avoid one that just drove of the pavement straight towards the side of his car! Hope you are manging to enjoy the sun this afternoon.
    Kerry xx
  • Options
    Poor Felicity and poor you!! Glad she seems ok thou.

Here in Holland, those motorised wheelchairs use the cycle lanes so you very rarely see them on the pavement which is a godsend. I hope the police do something although I'm not sure what they can do.....

Take care xx
  • Options
    thank you for your replies.
    I dont know what the police are doing about it, will have to call them myself. I dont want to let felicity out of pram at all, took her to shops in it this morning and normally she would complain but she was quite happy. Think I will start putting reins on her so at least I can grab them if she runs off. I know she will hate it as she likes to be independant at mo (well up til yest). My oh said the bloke looked quite rough and so were wondering if he was drunk? x x x
  • Options
    poor felicity and poor you. those things are an absolute night mare. I was cycling once with my daughter who was about 18 months at the time on the back of my bike. I was on the road on the correct side and as i went round the bend loads of cars were coming towards me (it was only a narrow road) and i nearly got knocked off. As i went further down the road, the reason why all the traffic was on the wrong side of the road coming towards me was because this old git was in his motorised wheelchair on the wrong side of the road listening to his bloody i-pod!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    What about trying one of these instead of reins http://www.safetots.co.uk/Baby-Harnesses-and-Reins/814-322.htm
    We have one for Millie that I use when I need to make sure she can't run off and she loves it. She'll actually walk around the house wearing it as a backpack so we have no problems using it when we need to. You can get them in different animal designs as well, I know they do a horse and a dog and some others. Hope that helps
    xx
  • Options
    there are reins on ebay that have angel and fairy wings a big hit with my lo
  • Options
    Fi thats unbelievable these motorised carts are a danger on the bloody pavement, poor flick image hope that guy loses his motorised license (is that possible!!!!) hope your ok honey, make sure you do keep it up with police xxxxxx
  • Options
    Poor little darling! Please talk to her about it a few times because it must be all confusing in her head. You don't want her to develop any long-term fears... The little girl must be so traumatised and to think he didn't even apologise! It's just disgusting!
  • Options
    another reason old people annoy me. they dont say sorry!
    if anyone did that to Jack i'd punch them!
    glad shes ok
  • Options
    I hate hate hate those mobility scooters. I understand they help people get around, but there is no place for them. And I think a lot of the people who use them are just plain lazy, not disabled. The scooters are too big and too fast for pavements or shops. And more often then not, those who ride them have a huge sense of entitlement about their right to take over whatever space they're in. I wish they'd ban them. I'm so sorry your little one was injured.
  • Options
    You'll never believe it!

Walking through town the other day, felicity pushing her dolls pram then we came to the road but she wouldnt hold my hand to cross, being very stubborn. So I quicky turned around to get away from the danger of the road to persuade her to cross. As I turned I almost crashed into an old woman on a MOTORISED WHEELCHAIR! Luckily we didnt get knocked. She had a right go at me, 'look where you're going', wouldnt shut up even though I apologised (dont know why i bother). So I said 'alright alright' (in a sarky voice) and she drove off, then I started telling felicity to hold my hand etc. I looked up and saw that woman with a right face on her whizzing back in my direction she started shouting 'dont have a go at me, and dont take it out on her'. Im sorry but I had to say something because it reminded me of flicks accident and got me very pissed off with these people. I shouted 'fuck off' then she carried on with the abuse and I said ' oh why dont you just fuck right off you stupid cow'!!! I was shaking and crying. How dare that old bag have a go at me for disciplining my daughter, why do old fuckers think they can have a pop at us mums????????????
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    lol fi my god!!! LOL you go girl, were are you, havent seen you on here 4 ages!!????? xxxxxxx
  • Options
    im so sorry to here that i hope you to are now ok

i know how it feels to have one of those thing to go over you i was holding my daughter once in town and this old lady in one ran over my foot wich nearly made me drop my daughter i broke 2 toes the old lady said it was my fault that it happened even though i had been stood there for 10 mins before it happened i could not belive it they think they own the paths we push our children round in pushchairs and never fun anyone over so why do they think they can they should have a licence to drive one.
  • Options
    omg becki/anne cant believe she broke your toes. how bad is that, whenever i think about or see them driving around my blood boils. did you say anything to her? cant believe she said it was your fault xxx

LOL twizzlepie xxx
  • Options
    yes i told her she was and old bat and sould watch what she is doing when she is on one of those things i hate them wish they could go back to the manual wheel chairs where people have to push them there would be prob less accidents and even is they did run over you it would hurt less as the are lighter than electric ones