Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Definitely no cough medicines siutable for a 1yr old?

My lo always seems to have a chesty cough. Every time he has a hint of a cold he gets this awful cough.

3 times Dr has listened to his chest and said although congested no infection and the cough will just "run it's course "!!
But I slept on a chair last night while he wheezed and struggled to sleep upright on me. If i put him down he would have a coughing fit within minutes.

We use snuffle babe and a karvol plug in thingie. But I think what he really needs is a good cough medicine. We've tried glycerin honey and lemon syrup ones and it makes no difference.

Is there really nothing I can give him ? Thanks. Suz x

Replies

• Options
    I've given cole the tixylix cough medicine before now even though its now labelled as over 2's or something. When he was just under 1 I was told he couldn't have anything till he was 1, when he turned 1 I got some and then a couple of months later all of a sudden it apparently wasn't ok any more. After speaking to a pharmacist who siad it was due to people od-ing their kids and checkign whether he could have calpol/ibuprofin with the medicine I bought it anyway and used it.

Course we aren't botherign now as cole has an inhaler and the doc said it was better to use the inhaler.

The other thing you could try is echinacea from a health store to boost his immune system. I got some suitable for 1+ made by a new zealand company and I think it helps. We also give cole some homeopathic stuff for cataargh (which i can't spell!) which helps when he's really snotty - agian from a health shop _ think the brand is new era.

hth
  • Options
    I was just in boots at lunchtime & on their shelf (as opposed to with the pharmacist) they have glycerin & honey & tixylix & their own cough syrup all labelled suitable for age 3mths plus xx
  • Options
    you could try lemon and honey although i know sommetimes its adviced not to have honey until over two and some say over one, but i have given erin a tiny bit of honey in warm water with a squeeze of fresh lemon she liked it and it seemed to help her cough for a short time xx
  • Options
    Just lemon and honey are the best, i dont think cough medinces work, by baby caughing its getting the injection/virus off chest, xx
  • Options
    double!

[Modified by: MyPrincess on October 26, 2009 04:58 PM]

[Modified by: MyPrincess on October 26, 2009 04:58 PM]

• Options

Hi.

Please dont give your LO "adults mixture" its adults for a reason.

Zoey; who are you to judge how much and when your lo should have medicine for your little one.

It could lead to overdose.

Have you got a medical background? That allows you to make such judgements.

I very much doubt your dr told you to do this; he/she could be struck off for such a thing.

Your best option is to go back to your gp &&& explain how bad it has got!

Honey and lemon is a safe option until you can get in and see the gp xxx
  • Options
    I have to agree with My Princess on this. Please please DO NOT give your little one adult medicines, if they were suitable for children (let alone babies!) they would be prescribed!!

Medicine is something that us parents most certainly do not know best about.

Stick with honey & Lemon and explain to GP how bad the cough is, maybe record it or something if they don't believe you??

• Options
    yawn yawn,whatever love.
    please do not drag the childishness from baby onto toddler where we can and have had adult debates/differences of opinion

and yawn yawn whatever love isnt a childish response ...mrsws can post here or baby she is simply backing the other girls up and since u ask questions on every single aspect of your life u then give an answer to give adult medicine!! i defo think u need to change your doctor especially if he is the same one who advised your dd should have her mmr despite her liver problem!!
  • Options
    I agree!

Anyone who gives their child medicine for adults need their head screwed on!!
    Tbh i really dont think your doctor did advise you to do that! And if they did then you should change your surgery as that is insane!!!
  • Options
    Right back to my original question...

After quite a lot of research this afternoon, chatting to my mum who is a nurse and checking with pharmcists. It seems that the recent changes in the law where put in to safe guard from parents giving lo's too much medicine to get them to sleep and running risk of over dose.

So we procured a bottle of from 2yrs night cough mixture (which they now only sell to children over 6yrs old but packaging hasn't been updated yet by most manufacturers)
    Anyway he has had a very small dose before bed. And a little nurofen (half dose for his age) seems to be sleeping now but we'll see how we get on through the night.

Lara- neither hubby or I have asthma. Although we have wondered if he might have it. I'm going back to Dr's again tomorrow so might mention asthma and see what he says.

Thanks, Suz. (and as an aside I did give him a tiny drop of adult benalyn last night in desparation and he spat it back out as me so won't be trying that again lol)
  • Options
    its funny u have said this u know suz cos i went to buy medised today for my ds and they wouldnt sell it me so i was ranting and raving that he is old enough and they said its gone up to 6 :roll: bloody stoopid rules x
  • Options
    a lot of it has just been updated because of the o/d happening where parents were reading the (or rather not reading) instructions wrong. i used to give my lo certain calpol medicines for his age at that time and they have now shot up to six years! and he was always fine with it them!

i read in the bbc report that there was nothing actully wrong with them, just the way people were using them. and as a lot of the manafactuors of the medicine had said they were fine for the age groups that they had first been brought out for, they just had to put the ages up as a pre-cautionary. x
  • Options
    I know it's stoopid. It's not like I was going to give him the whole bottle. And it's not the contents of the mixtures that they have changed, just labelling re age range.

So last year it would have been suitable for a 2 year old and now only a 6 year old. Daft.

Just been in to check on him and he's wheezing something awful, even with the Karvol vaporiser thingie plugged in. Can see me sleeping in a chair again !! S x
  • Options
    i think its obviously still ok to use, if they have just took up the age as a precautionary, because some people dont check the dosage then as long as you give the correct amount with nothing else whats the difference from before?
    and as the medicine companys say, it IS actully suitable for the younger age groups after all they should know they spent yearrrrrrs testing it.

and DAMN just spilt tea on me phone :cry: is soaked :cry: and am not insured!!! :cry:
  • Options
    so sorry to hear your lo isnt well, hopefully he had a better night last night?
    Just a note about the vapourisers though, they really really dry out the throat and chest, so it could be making his wheezing worse, although it might be helping in keeping his airways clear... (catch 22, sorry!)

Ollie was having lots of problems last year, and ended up in hospital with them, where he ended up in an oxygen box because he couldnt breathe properly (his sats were down at 80-90% the first night which was horrendous to see) but once they had prescribed him an inhaler he got better so so quickly - we used it for about 6 months afterwards and he now doesnt wheeze at all. He does still get a horrible hacking cough from time to time and when he does we take him straight to the GP to check, and they understand why i take him for every cough :lol:
    it might be worth really pushing for them to prescribe an inhaler for your lo,, even on a temp 6 months start like they did for Ollie, it might not be asthma but it might help clear the wheezing like it did with Ollie...

Cant comment on cough medicines as our gp has prescribed them for us so we dont have the problem of battling a general pharmacy to let us buy them, but I would also push for them to prescribe something for that too if you want - afterall, you know your lo best, they dont.

Hope he gets better really quickly.

xx