Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Playgroup Dilemma

Hi all, Just after a bit of advice as not sure what to do! I took my 26 month old son to the school playgroup this week, he already goes to the Mother and Baby group in the same place but obviously I stay with him for that and this was the first time he would be left alone somewhere from 9-11am. I was quite nervous about it but both Hubby and I had talked to him a lot about it, told him what would be happening, that Mammy would be leaving him but coming back after he'd played with the other children.and not to worry etc. So when it came to it, we went in, he went running off to play and the lady who runs it came over to take money, give me the contract and ask what I wanted to do about leaving him - i.e. how long I would stay etc. As he'd gone off to play so happily I said I'd rather leave sooner than leter as he knew I'd be going so didn't see the need to prolong it so I called him over, told him that Mammy was going now and he gave me a kiss and waved goodbye and went back to play! He was so good, I couldn't believe it so off I went.

However, at 10.30am the lady rang me at home to say he was quite upset and would I come to be with him which of course I did straight away. But when I got there, although he was pleased to see me, the first thing he did was take my hand and lead me to the little kitchen area and point to the floor, when I looked underneath the unit, I could see his little football had got stuck underneath and he couldn't reach it so I got it for him. Then he started gesturing with his arms that he'd lost something else so I asked him what he'd lost - turned out to be his teddy so off we went again around the room to find Ted. Once he was found, although he was still snivelling a bit after getting worked up, he was generally fine and we stayed for the rest of the playgroup. I didn't mention this to anyone as I felt like I was criticising them for not watching him and I know they can't possibly keep an eye on them all 100% of the time or go around fetching things for them. But at the end, the lady came over and suggested that next week I stay longer with him as he "obviously doesn't know them well enough yet" which is true - but I'm not convinced that was why he was upset - I genuinely think he got upset that he couldn't reach his ball and couldn't find his teddy but because he's not talking properly yet, he couldn't get the message across to them and then got worked up and wanted me as he knew I'd understand him. Because he was so good about me leaving him there, I don't really see the need to stay longer as he'll get used to be being there then and surely the whole point is that he needs to get used to the idea that I'm not there to ask which will hopefully encourage his language skills and confidence to approach others?? But I feel like she was having a go at me for leaving him so quickly, I really don't know what to do, am I being harsh on him/her?!

Any advice or comments welcome!

Replies

• Options
    its such a hard thing to do isnt it. especially when these people dont know your son. my lo is 18months and i leave her for an hour at the creche will i go to church on a sunday. i decided like you not to wait with her coz i think it encourages them to cling. maybe next week you could say that you are just leaving him again to see how he goes and maybe say to them that he is fine as long as he has his teddy. that way if he loses it they may click and try and find it for him. as i said i completely agree with you about leaving him. im always saying to oh that i could kepp chloe with me forever but i know in my heart its better for her to have her independence.xx
  • Options
    hi,I understand just what you mean, it is hard to leave your child. My son who is 2 1/2 goes to playgroup, has done for 3 months now. Everytime I drop him off I worry even through the place is really good,and I was recommended it by various people. A good idea maybe to find out who your childs keyworker is(they should have given him one to do observations and monitor his development, all settings have to allocate each child one), then speak to them about your child. Explain about his teddy and ball, and also about his language skills so that they have a bit of background information about him. At my sons playgroup I had to fill in a form which asked for information about things such as special toys and special words that they have for certain things. I dont think you were being harsh just trying to do what you felt was right at the time, which is what we are always trying to do. Also maybe next time you could stay for a couple of minutes longer, but somewhere out of sight of your son, so that you can be there in case, and then leave when you feel that your son is settled. Good luck, I am sure he will be fine.