Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

**UPDATE: Been to the Docs: Very very painful ovulation

2»

Replies

• Options
    Laura,

From what I've worked out, to work out when you ovulate, you have to work back from when your next period is due. I have an average 29 day cycle, my last period was on 13th November, add 29 days, makes me due on my next period 12th December. Minus 14 LP days, should make my ov date on or around 27th November. Your ov days change as the number of days per month are different (some 30 some 31) and they usually don't match with the number of days in your cycle.

If you've been writing down the day when you start your period, put it into a chart on Fertility Friend or my monthly cycles and it should make it a little clearer for you.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong - it can be a bit confusing sometimes! :/)
  • Options
    Just to confuse the issue further, my LP changes by a couple of days too which the GP told me is normal!! She said the length of time between OV and AF is usually roughly the same (in my case between 13 and 15 days) but the time between CD1 and OV is what varies - for me anytime between 13 and 18 days. I usually see what day I OV on and then roughly add 14 days or so to determine when AF/BFP would be due!!!
    Having said all this, if you have recently come off the pill all this is completely different and it's a lot more random!!
  • Options
    I think I might be able to explain it a little easier Laura if you're still struggling... I know it took me a few weeks to get to grips with it.

Last cycle I used OPK's and got +ive's on CD13+CD14 and I had a 28 day cycle. My LP was 14-15 days.

This month I am using my CBFM and am CD15 without a peak as yet. I am expecting my peak tomorrow/Thursday so my cycle should be at least 29-30days long as my 14-15day LP should start after OV.

I think you would def benefit from OPK's just so you have a better understanding of what your body is doing and when. They say the average LP is 14days but its certainly not always the case. Also as Kate*Louise says if you have been on the pill it will most likely take a few months to regulate (not sure of your circumstances though).

Hope I've helped and not just confused it further :\) xx
  • Options
    Ooohh, it's just clicked into place! Thanks BroodyBeth. I will definitely get OPKs - i'm guessing that I would have to do it for a few months to know how long my LP is? Thanks everyone!