Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can agnus castus kick start ovulation?

2»

Replies

• Options

Hi,

im taking AC now. I have PCOS and im hoping it regulates my cycles. I took it in the past and it worked as my cycles went from 180+ days to every 40ish days. We are TTC now so im hoping this works. 

• Options

I LVM, I also have high prolactin, as well as low progesterone (prolactin lowers progesterone), and a luteal phase defect (only 8 days from ovulation to period). I am suffering with similar symptoms you quoted, such as sore breasts, volatile moods, lathergy, I also have terrible pmt which I never had before. 

I am trying to conceive and its the 5th month now, my doctor says prolactin is still high but is going down, so as long as it's falling she won't refer me to an endocrinologist - rather frustrating.

I know your post was 2013 but I just wondered if you ended up taking Angus castus and what result you got? Or any one who used Angus castus for luteal phase defect or to lower high prolactin. I thought my be worth a try.

one concern I did have, is from what I read, there is a link to using it and miscarriage, so am thinking of taking it up until ovulation each month as don't want to be pregnant and taking it.  

• Options

ROXS - I hadn't ovulated for 6 months after coming off the pill. I went to the doctor as was getting concerned. She suggested I try eating soy products everyday, like tofu, soy milk etc. apparently it has an affect on oestrogen which can wake up your ovaries. within a few weeks of doing this I had my first period! 

• Options

Hi,

just to let you know. Ive been taking this on and off for a couple years. I have PCOS and was having 1-2 periods a year. I took AC and it regulated my periods to one Every 40 ish days. Ive been taking it again and it regulated to wvery 36/37 days. Im now taking it again and my last cycle was 29 days long! Im hoping to get a pwriod every 28 days now as we are TTC. I really love this product as it really has worked!

but what i would say is dont stop taking it after ovulations cos people have said it can xause a miscarriage if you get pregnant as the hormone levels drop. And during pregnancy they must rise in order for pregnancy to progress. People usually stop taking it after 12 weeks. Xx 

hope this helps! 

• Options

jillyf84 I hope it continues to work for you. There do seem to be many success stories from women taking agnus castus. 

I have heard that some women take it for few weeks after they get a positive pregnancy result so as not to have their progesterone drop, and some even take it through their first trimester, but there is also a lot of info on the internet saying do not take it during pregnancy as it's not been proven to be safe. Seeing as I lost my last one at 35 weeks I am too scared to take it past ovulation in case i got pregnant and harmed the baby.

I don't have a problem with progesterone, but high prolactin which is giving me a short luteal phase. 

it's so confusing and I wish there was more research on this herb and it was taken on by the nhs. I have heard that they use it in medical practice in other countries such as Germany.

I wondered what any one elses thoughts were on how to take this and if any one had success or failure with getting pregnant taking this and whether they stopped before ovulation?

• Options

I'm just about to order agnus castus, after being rejected for clomid as my bmi is too high :( I have pcos & a 50-80day cycle so I'm hoping to regulate periods & ovulate. i was told by my gp the ovulation kits don't work with women who have pcos so is this still the case when taKing the agnus castus? Any info would be greatly appreciated 😊

• Options

I have been off of depo for 8 months now and I still haven't started my period will Angus castus help me I need answer please

• Options

It gave me a 26-35 day cycle!! Definitely give it a try, I got quite bad headaches on it but it was worth it! I'm not taking it now as I went private & got clomid 😊

• Options

I have just bought agnus castus drops. I am wondering whether to start taking it for a low progesterone issue. And if so when should i start taking it.

any advice is greatly received. X

• Options

Just been inspired to post again. I was pregnant by 8 weeks (see above) after taking Agnus Castus for 2 months. My daughter is now just over a year and a half! After taking it for the last month, I'm now pregnant again. (Fingers crossed everything ok, still early days). I'm 40! And my periods didn't return for a year and a half after giving birth. We got our result after just 2 months of trying. Which I was certainly not expecting!

What I would say is that most widely available Agnus Castus tablets (Holland & Barrett etc), have lowered considerably. And are now pretty pointless. The only make that has the recommended 1000mg a day is a brand called Bodytronix which I found on amazon. For some reason, they have decided to regulate the amount to a ridiculously small dosage. I'm a bit cynical - I think they've done this because it actually works. Good luck! As I said before, it's not for everyone, but certainly has worked for me.

• Options

oh, and btw, i carried on taking it into 12 weeks, and baby is fine!

• Options

zweck 

I've just read all your comments and they convinced me to try AC. I've done a lot of research me and my partner have been trying for a while and have been offered IVF but I wanted to try this before we go down that route. Fingers crossed I'm going to start my cycle tomorrow and take AC. Hopefully will have updates for you in few weeks :)