Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Do doctors worry you?

Hi ladies,
I have recently saw a GP & today my consultant. They keep worrying me about risks with multiplies. In fact today consultant asked if I would bother thinking of baby names before the event..as my pregnancy is high risk! I am a bit disheartend but keep trying to think doctors have a habit of speaking then thinking.
Do any of you have any similar stories to tell?

Replies

• Options
    My first appointment the consultant said that id twin pgs were high risk, that i should aim one week at a time, and not get any hopes up until they were 2 weeks old as even if they made it there was a high mortality rate for twins.
    Id already had a m/c at 16 weeks and pretty much accepted that they two would end in m/c. I didnt buy anything until after 24 weeks and then it was only basics, didnt prepare the nursery or buy cots, just had moses baskets and sent dh to get everything when they were born. and this was only with two!

so yes i understand that they want to prepare us but equally there are lots of happy endings, think of the amercan women that had 8 and all ok, or the irish women who had sextuplets and the walton girls.

anyway how are you coping how far are you now and are you showing??

xxDBxx
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm showing! Not massive but only 17 weeks so still time lol. Been signed off work & thought it was a bit unnecessary to start with but totally feeling the benefit!!!

Thanks for your reply. It helps to know what others have been told. I was feeling very sorry for myself today when I got home.
  • Options
    yes yes yes!
    but the worst is when family members take this attitude!!!!
    my mother in law, father in law, and brother in law, ruined my pregnant christmas by discussing the non survival of my twins at the dinner table.

don't think about the negatives...
    i've got my twins now - and they are lovely.
    i had a staight forward c section at 38 weeks and now have 1 year olds who harrass their big sister and drive us all mad!
    in a positive way of course!!!!
  • Options
    Oh Bunty, That must have been terrible! I think people just get a bit carried away & don't think about what they are saying.

I will stay positive.....infact have decided since Monday will just be very blunt with all doctors from here on in & explain they need to encourage not discourage!!

Thanks x
  • Options
    I must have been really lucky i never had any negative comments from anyone even when the boys were born 9 weeks early i never had any negative comments/thought myself or from anyone else. My boys nearly 10 months and doing great and I also have a 23 month olf. Anyway good luck.