Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Twin to Twin Transfusion - Has anyone had this ?

Hi guys

I am very happily expecting identical twins but when I went for a scan at 16 weeks 6 days (Thursday just gone), my doctor has diagnosed that I have probably have the start of Twin to Twin transfusion Syndrome TTFS

He has referred me to St Georges in Tooting and we are meeting with a doctor and Professor Baski tomorrow afternoon.

At the scan he said that twin 2 fluid was normal, but there was a slighly raised volume in twin 1 and they differ in size albeit not a lot. There was mention of MCA doppler being slighly reaised in twin 2 due to stolastic velocity or something like that but I dont have a clue what this means. At the moment I am terrified after reading so much about twin to twin transfusion mortality rates etc. I know that this is a rare disease that can jump from mild to severe in a very short space of time.

Does anyone have an experience of being sent to St Georges for this?

Any advise, help etc would be so welcome

Replies

• Options
    Hi Munchkins

Sorry to hear this. My id twins are in seperate amniotic sacs and have so far been unaffected (27 wks) but its something I'm always thinking and worrying about a bit.
    Hope all goes ok at the hospital today and you get good news. Let us know how you get on.

Keep well
    Jx
  • Options
    Hi

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I was monitored at Queen Charlotte's from 20 weeks for suspected TTTS. In the end, it never developed but one of my girls did have a growth restriction

The MCA doppler measures the blood flow to the Middle Cerebral Artery (the brain basically). If the blood flow is compromised in one twin then the flow to the MCA will be affected. This is due to the baby 'brain sparing' or diverting all blood to the head to ensure the brain develops properly.

Fortunately, my story has a happy outcome.

Best of luck to you and if you have any questions, just ask xx