Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

THOSE EXPECTING TWINS OR HAD TWINS ARE YOU A TWIN???

Hi i am just being nosy i really would love to have twins but just wondered if i had to hav twins in the family my side to have them???

My OH has twins in his family but have heard thats it has to be the womans side to have twins??

Replies

• Options
    it does normaly have to run down the womans side,so the chance is slim,i have quite a few twins on my side of the family but there is also twins in my OH family,its hard work but its very worth it,good luck

sarah
  • Options
    Nope. I have ID twins which are non-hereditary. We don't have any twins on either side of the family either xx
  • Options
    Identical are luck - anyone can have them.
    Non-ID run in the family - it's on my Dad's side and I have two non-id girls x
  • Options
    There are no twins in either of our families but I have non id boys. As everyone kept saying,they've got to start somewhere! x
  • Options
    Me too - No twins in the family (as far as we know) and I have non id boys who are now 11 months!!!

Its difficult to know if twins are in the family as scans weren't around then, my mum had a bleed early on, so I may have been a twin, we will never know though...

Sara x
  • Options
    Any1 can have ID twins it purely down to mothernature & luck!

We're expecting non-id twins through fertiltiy treatment, but we do also have twins on both sides of the family apparently.

Lilac* 29+3 twin bump
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    no twins in our families...
    i had one daughter with a 6 week bleed...so she might have been a twin. i really think she was.

my second pregnancy was twins - non id.
    boy and girl

• Options
    I have ID twin girls!
    There are Non-ID twins on my mams side but it doesnt matter for ID its just luck as to whether the egg splits or not! image My cousin's dad is a twin (my mams brother) her husband is a twin and her MIL is a twin she has had 4 babies and none of them are twins she really wants them too and i got them on my first go it really is luck! Hard work, exhausting but absolutely worth it hope you get them! image x
  • Options
    hiya, few myths that go around about twins such as skipping a generation etc... the only hereditary link that can happen is on female-female chain, i.e your mum, passing on to you, and that is the likelihood of you realeasing two eggs in any one month..which if they both get fertilised, result in non-i.d twins-which i am, i have twin bro. no link known for i.d as like the others said, its just whether the one fertilised egg divides or not. if twins run on a mans side then its actually just coincidence, as is if ur OH is a twin, your no more likely to have twins than anyone else.
  • Options
    can a father (who is a non identical twin) pass the gene for hyperovulation to his daughter?
  • Options
    hi! i hate to sound awful but wishing for twins is a lot different to actually having them. i'm not gonna give you horror stories and i love my twins to bits but i found that people thonk it's 'cute' to have twins but don't think ab out the consequences.