Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

keeping things in sync

Hi ladies, just after some advice really.

My girls are nearly 6 weeks old and during the day tend to do things seperately!

I usually have 2 feeds with just one at a time cos the other one is sleeping. I never know whether to wake them both up as sometimes one will be feeding every 2 hours and the other every 4 and it seems such a shame to wake them.

Also after feeds we have done together sometimes one will stay awake and the other go to sleep.

What I am trying to ask but going a long way around it, is would you still wake them up to play and also to feed even if its been only 2 hours and the other one looks sound asleep? I am worried waking them up will not help them to sleep longer!

Night times are ok as they tend to got 3 - 4 hours so we do wake them both up as I feel this is a more reasonable time between feeds!

Replies

• Options
    when one used to wake up first for the feed,after i had feed,i would wake the other one,to me,it made it a little easier and it set them up for a routine,which i swear by
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm no expert as my boys are only 15 weeks, but i found feeding them at the same time has really helped. The boys are now in a great routine and pretty much sleep and feed at the same times throughout the day. Getting a routine will make things so much easier for you. Our routine probably clicked in to place at around 8 weeks and it has made such a difference. Good luck xx
  • Options
    I would feed them bothat the same time. I didn't do this at first as one of my twins was smaller - so needed feeding little and often.

As soon as I could I tried feeding them together, even if it meant waking them. They soon fell into a feeding pattern and fed at the same time.

When they got a bit bigger, I stopped waking them in the night. The bigger twin started to sleep thru, while the smaller one wanted feeding for another three - four weeks during the night. I still fed them both at 7 regardless of when the night feed was.

From about 8 weeks they fed at 7, 11, 3, 7, 11, 3. The 11pm and 3am have now stopped.

xxx
  • Options
    My twins are now 12 weeks and I kept things in sync to begin with until I found that they fed better (taking more) if left till they are ready. Also, If I'm on;y feeding 1 baby its easier to share my attention with my 2 year old.

I also find it nice if only 1 baby is awake so that they get some individual undivided attention.

At night our boy had a really bad night and we didn't wake his sister as we knew we weren't sleeping anyway and discovered she could drop down top one feed & now sleeps through. But feeding both together at night was much better when they did both need those feeds.