Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tantrums post feed!

Help! I have been weaning Annabel for 9 days so far. I think she has done really well so far and has seemed to enjoy all of what I have given her however she has started to scream and cry post her evening solid food. It started last night once she had finished her sweet potato and carrot puree; I just thought it was because she had really enjoyed the taste. I gave her the same dish tonight and again on finishing the portion she went wild, screamed, and cried. I ended up giving her another portion, but on finishing that she again became upset, I managed to calm her with some cuddles and a song. Do you think this is just a love of carrot and sweet potato/actual food opposed to breast milk or is it because she is still hungry? I fed her breast milk at 4, solids at 6 and breast milk again at about 7 for 15 minutes then just before bed at 8pm - help I don't want every meal time ending in such tears, she doesn't do this at breakfast time (I give her porridge)

Replies

• Options

Oh bless her!! Maybe she is really enjoying the food, when I just started weaning them, both my LOs used to get a bit worked up when I finished giving them a small portion and I always had to give them more, but they never got really upset like Annabel. Do you think the sweet potato or carrot may be upsetting her tummy a little? Maybe try a different combo tomorrow night and see how she gets on. image

• Options

She might just love the combo. Do you give her pudding afterwards? If my little one wants more of his dinner when it is finished he with throws both arms up and down in the air and starts moaning. Then am in a rush to plate up more!

Try sweet potato and apple or carrot and apple or butternut squash and peaches.

• Options

Thanks ladies, I think she just loves her food. I gave her roasted red pepper, and tomato puree tonight, again a tantrum once it was finished. However I was ready, I had a bit of mashed banana for her which she enjoyed. I have also started to let her play with the spoon and then I give her some water from her tommie tippee cup. I basically have to distract her post feeding so she doesn't realise the portion has finished. Glad that the girl has a good appetite, just like her mother and father image.

• Options

We are nearly three weeks into weaning and Annabel is still having tantrums, infact she has started to have tantrums post most evening meals. She isn't really a baby who cries much or who has cried much in the past, she is quite placid normally. It is quite distressing as she really gets upset and screams once her meal is over. I have started to give her fruit for dessert but sometimes I have to give her the breast straight away.

We had a friend over for dinner last night and it was quite embarrassing, we are going on holiday in two weeks and hope to eat out a few nights. I couldn't imagine taking Annabel into a restaurant/pub or letting her eat in public while she is so distressed.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this and if so what did you do?

• Options

If you are eating out, bring some toys or books that may distract her post feed and extra portions of food/drink. My LO can be a bit of a nightmare to take out to eat as she has tantrums if she sees others eating different foods to her or when she has finished and people are still eating! I always pack a bag with bits and bobs to keep her occupied, finger foods, yoghurts, etc. If you are concerned about her still having a tantrum, I suggest ordering your food first (before her usual meal time) give her something to play with while you eat then once you are finished focus on her feeding. Then if she does get really upset after, you can leave the restaraunt without causing her to get more distressed, or you.  image