Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Dinner timeeeeee

Today, my son took an hour to eat pasta and some fruit purée. He was having one or two spoons and then he would refuse the next soon, mouth clamped down tight and then some moaning. I would then have to distract him with some singing, silly dance moves or turning on the bubble machine and then he was happy to eat some more. Other days he will eat so quickly, 15 mins. Does anyone else have this problem and any advice/ ideas to make dinner time not retake so much time?

Replies

• Options

I have experienced this! most days my LO will wolf down her food and on others it seems to take forever, or she just doesn't want it at all! The best thing to do is not force it..if he refuses to eat after 15mins take it away wait for a while, read him a story, etc and then try again, If he still refuses then it is best to leave it. Its like us adults! some days we just don't feel like eating, but by the next day/meal we will be hungry again, so don't worry about it. image

• Options

I allow at least one hour for lunch time as Annabel loves to take her time with her finger food. I like to eat with her so we sit together at the table. Some days she can eat in 30 minutes, other days about 50-60 minutes. I let her do it in her own time letting her explore her food and watching me eat mine. I never rush lunch, it is a really enjoyable time for both of us.

However breakfast and dinner (tea) are very different affairs. Breakfast is our big family meal (me, her and Daddy). We all sit and eat together, she normally has some finger food but mainly has a porridge or puree and is predominantly spoon fed. If we are a hurry or need to leave the house we can eat in 20-30 minutes.  By our evening meal Annabel is tired so again is mostly spoon fed with a few finger nibbles, this takes approx. 30- 45 minutes.