Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

solids at 10 weeks

Looking for advice. My 10 week old settles very well at night, usually between 8 & 9 ans sleeps right through until 8 am. She then feeds every 3-4 hours of 6oz. The past few days she has been very unsettled between 4pm - 10pm. True  giving her extra milk as she only has 4 feeds a day sleeping with sleeping through the night. She takes the extra milk but is sick because  it is to much. I was  wondering wether to introduce a little baby rice at tea time instead of extra milk to fill her up. I'm scare  that 10 weeks is to young but nothing settles her.

Replies

• Options

I use to give my little man 1/8th of a rusk in his last bottle.before he went to bed it never did him any harm xx hope that helps? Lennon started having baby rice and soup at 12 weeks so your not far off at 10 weeks xx hope that helps xx

• Options

Hi Nikki and Sarah

Thanks for your posts. We wanted to let you know that, for your baby's health, it really isn't advised to give your baby any solid food before 17 weeks. Please see our expert advice - Is it OK to start weaning early, When should I start weaning my baby and When can I start baby led weaning - for more information. There are many reasons why babies suddenly go from good sleepers to regular wakers, and the best advice is to talk to your health visitor or GP, as they'll have some solutions for you rather than introducing solid food. 

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes

• Options

As Susie has mentioned it is not recommended to feed anything so early on. I would advice you to speak to your health visitor ASAP for professional advice. You can always call them. It may just be the weather that has made her unsettled. At ten weeks she only needs milk.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

• Options

Hi girls it was my health advisor that yold me to crush up 1/8th of a rusk and put it in lennons milk at 12 weeks and he is fine....not that i would ever say to anyone do it with out checking first thats just common sence!

My boy is a year in a few weeks old and is happy to sit and feed him self he is healthy and happy and has a fab relationship with food, he loves his fruit and veg and never has prosses food its all home made.

I would always say to some one check with a gp or health visitor first.

But it diesnt make me a bad mum surly that my son is happy and healthy?

• Options

Hi,

this could well be a growth spurt. They have these quite frequently in the early months. Or it could be a bit of indigestion etc.

i wouldn't immediately suspect it is food related. 

Good luck with the health visitor.image

• Options

Maybe try giving her hungry baby milk, as this may help satisfy her more without giving her bigger quantities. Good Luck. image

• Options

Thanks for everyone's comments. Nikki, I hope this helps. And Sarah, you're absolutely right - there's no suggestion that anyone's a bad mum here. We're just making sure that Nikki has all the info, and I think we're all agreed that the best thing in this case is for her to go an have a chat with her health visitor. 

• Options

Much agreed image 

• Options

Nikki, Have you heard of the 'witching hour'? My Breast feeding Midwife told me about it, basically if your LO has wind or is not getting rid of her/his wind then come evening time they can be grumpy, crying and generally unsettled. Try making sure that after each feed you give LO a good wind, and get a good burp up. One way to tell if your baby has wind is to look at the toes, if they are curled or tense this suggests they could indeed have wind.

But don't forget that at ten weeks your LO won't really have an established a routine by now, it may just have been good luck that he/she has been sleeping so long. The weather may also be to blame, I don't think I have slept through the night whilst it's been so hot.

Sarah - the guidelines have only recently changed so advice that was once given by HVs/health professionals would be different if given today.  

Do let us know how you get on so all us Mummies can all learn from your experience.

• Options

My Lo always seemed to be hungry and as I breast fed it seemed I was always feeding him. I felt under a lot of pressure from older relatives and people telling me he needed baby rice but all the research shows that you really shouldnt start to wean your child before 17 weeks. I was going to start at 6 months as recommened but I came to the decision to start weaning at 17 weeks and I know I made the right choice by my son. You could try feeding her smaller amounts but more often so she is getting what she needs but without causing her to be sick, or try hungry baby milk. Good luck

• Options

Hi,

youve had some great suggestions so far but if you are breastfeeding yYou can hae a look at your own health too. If you are dehydrated or very sleep deprived the quality if the milk becomes less rich and baby then wants more. This happens particularly towards evenin when you have fed and been busy all day. Naps and rest periods for yourself are important even if you get 20 minutes to just lay down.

food is important but number one is sleep, numer two hydration. I think while grains and anything with good energy will help.

• Options

I just wanted to say that you must never put anything except milk in a babies bottle as it is a choking hazard & can be extremely dangerous.

• Options
    Blackkat I take it that's aimed at me....

It was not in his bottle it was mixed in a bowl and fed to him via a baby spoon.
  • Options
    I started my baby on full bowl of baby rice when he was 11 weeks old as he was the same. I got told by my health visitor nothing apart from milk til 6 months but I ignored her as I wasn't going to let my boy suffer! He didn't like it as first so I upped his bottle an Oz soon settled then at about 14 weeks he showed all signs of wanting food so I tried baby rice n he loved itl! He is now 16 weeks old has a bowl of baby rice for breakfast and a bowl of baby food for his tea. Milk in between during the day! N hes perfectly happy n healthy! In my opinion only the mother knows whats best for their child! X