Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Recipe thread - MAINS

As the success of the Recipe thread continues, I am finding it hard to find recipes for specific meals I want to look at, so am starting the following themed recipe threads:

SNACKS

MAINS

SWEET TREATS

BREAKFASTS

If I have missed anything glaringly obvious, just shout!

Kate x

Replies

• Options
    Nicola wrote (see)

Roasted veg puree

Whilst making our dinner, roasted veg and halloumi cheese, I made the above for Annabel. I took a handful of chopped up veg; courgettes, red and yellow peppers, and a few pieces of red onion. I roasted them for about 30 minutes on a medium heat (for the adults I added olive oil but ommited this for the LO) and then let them cool. Throw it all in the blender and blend until liquid, the courgettes are watery so no need to add any water or milk (but you can do if required). 

I have frozen the puree which will keep for a month, a great way to make a quick and easy puree whilst also making an adult meal. 

• Options
    Nicola wrote (see)

This is really easy to make and refreshing for the LOs in this heat. Chop one courgette and place in a steamer, you can use a metal colander on top of a pan of boiling water if you don’t have a steamer. Steam the courgette until soft (approx 15-20 minutes), at the same time take a handful of frozen peas and bring to the boil (can put in the water under the colander). Once courgettes softened and the peas cooked sieve to discard water, throw into the blender and liquidise. This will make a about five ice cube sized portions. To add flavour and be more adventurous for older babies try adding a mint leaf.

This is cool and refreshing but very watery so you could add a large boiled potato to thicken it up if desired.

Annabel loved this, and looked really cute with a bright green face. 

• Options

Pasta with tomato & veg sauce.

Ingredients:

diced mixed veg

1 can chopped tomatoes

clove garlic

tomato puree

herbs

I have used a selction of veg (onion, butternut squash, sweet potato, red pepper and courgette), and diced it finely. I emptied the can of tomatoes into a bowl and used the empty can to measure how much veg I wanted.

Fry the veg off with a crushed/finely chopped clove of garlic, and add a tablespoon of tomato puree. Add the canned tomatoes, and cook over a low heat for 20 - 30 mins.

At this stage add any herbs that you fancy, plus half a tub of cream cheese. I then blended HALF of the mixture, and then added it back to the sauce pan.

That's the sauce done. I serve it with macaroni.

• Options
    Harjeet wrote (see)

sweet potato, carrot and red lentil

ingredients

medium sweet potato, 2 carrots, two tablespoons red lentils, half qnd onion, one piece of garlic and similar size piece of ginger. boil all together in boiling water until carrots are cooked (around 10-15mins).

drain, but keep the water as it can be used to thin out mixture if required or use as stock for another meal.

add one teaspoon of garam masala and mix.

blend with soup blending attachment or in hand blender. can make it as thin or as lumpy as you want, if you want to keep some lumpy bits, after draining keep some carrots aside before blending.

• Options
    Harjeet wrote (see)

Moong dhal khichadi

Ingredients

Rice - 1/2 cup

Moong dhal/lentils- 1/4 cup

butter/oil - 1tbsp

Cumin seeds - 1tsp (optional)

garam masala- 1tsp (optional)

Turmeric powder - a pinch

wash rice and dhal in water and keep it aside. Heat butter/oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, rice, and moong dhal. Stir-fry for a 30 seconds. Add water and garam masala and bring rice to boil and reduce the heat and simmer and cook till very soft (10 mins approximately)

• Options
    Harjeet wrote (see)

Courgette and feta nibbles

1 slice of bread, cut into small cubes

140g courgette grated (approx 1 medium sized courgette)

70g feta cheese, crumbled finely       2 eggs (whisked) 
    black pepper to season (optional)     half lemon (optional)  

chives (optional)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38679.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

preheat  the oven to 200 degrees.     Oil a silicone mini muffin/small cupcake tin with olive oil.    whisk the eggs in a bowl, add pepper, then add courgette and mix. squeeze lemon and chives into mixture, add crumbled feta cheese and cubed bread and mix well.   Fill each hole with mixture.

Bake for 16 minutes or until firm and well browned.  

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38681.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

These can be served for lunch, dinner or as finger food. 

If your little one does not like textures, the courgettes can be blended and the bread can be made into bread crumbs .

• Options
    Harjeet wrote (see)

Tomato, courgette and cottage cheese spaghetti 

Ingredient

Half tomato half courgette

5-6 pieces of spaghetti 

how to pull together 

chop tomato and courgette into small pieces and break spaghetti into small pieces. add all ingredients into pan and boil for 10 mins.

purée once cooked to the required lumpiness.

then stir in cottage cheese.

season with black pepper and a dash of lemon (optional) 

• Options
    Harjeet wrote (see)

Broccoli cheesy pasta.

1 piece of garlic finely chopped

2 spring onions or half an onion

2 tablespoons of baby pasta

2-4  florets of broccoli 

milk

butter

flour

cheese

black pepper to season 

boil broccoli and baby pasta.  fry spring onion and garlic. make a white sauce with the butter, flour, milk and cheese in the same pan as the spring onions. add broccoli into cheese sauce and blend to desired lumpiness and the had pasta and season with black pepper

if you would like change the meal, you could add chicken or tuna as additional protein.

• Options

Friends for Dinner:

We had friends over for dinner unexpectedly tonight, they have a 6.5 month old so I needed to cater for her too (Annabel is also 6.5 months). I needed something quick and easy as all of Annabel's food was in the freezer (only one portion defrosted) I made cheesy Leeks. The little ones loved their dinner as did the adults.

You will need

One large Leek

5 new potatoes

Half a white onion

teaspoon of butter/oil

a large spoonful of cream cheese

a large spoonful of cream/creme fresh

2 large spoons of grated chedder-cheese

garlic - optional

-Boil the new potatoes in a pan of hot water,

-Slice the leek and onion, fry in a buttered/oiled frying pan until soft but not brown (if using garlic add to the pan before the leeks),

-Add the cream cheese and creme fresh and stir until creamy,

-Drain the potatoes and add to the creamy leeks, top with the grated cheese.

-Once cooled slightly place in the blender and blend to desired consistency. To make lumpy for early stage 2 weaning add  the grated cheese just before you blend.

Really quick and easy dish to make at the last minute.

-

• Options

Lentil and veg tikki/burger

100g red lentils, washed

1 piece of garlic, finely chopped

1 carrot, finely diced

half medium onion

half pepper, finely diced

1 whisked egg

breadcrumbs

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 teaspoon garam Marsala

1 teaspoon tomato purée

pinich of chilli powder (optional)

1) boil lentils in pan, until they are mushy and water has evaporated. put enough water in pan, double the quantity of lentils. once boiled, simmer on a low heat from about 20 mins

2)in frying pan, add oil, once heated add cumin seeds and the onions and garlic. cook until onions are translucent. Add carrots and peppers. cook until soft ( add a little water to help with the cooking process) add Garam Marsala and chilli powder.

3) once lentils are mushy, add the contents from the frying pan and tomato purée and mix well. allow to cool and put in fridge for 30 mins. mixture is easier to handle once cooled.

4) once mixture is cool. make a little burger 1/2 inch thickness (heaped teaspoon, roll into ball and the flatten). Mixture will make 4 baby tikkis/burgers and 2 adult portions.

5) coat burger in egg and then coat in bread crumbs.

6) fry in frying pan with a little oil.

serve with salad, beans veg, burger bun etc

baby version

adult burger 

before making adult burger, add salt and chilli to taste in mixture. serve in burger bread or with veg.

I used carrots and peppers, but you could use other veg, like sweet corn, peas etc

can make all baby tikkis/burgers and freeze the extras ( if ingredients are all fresh).

• Options

sweet potato and red lentil patties/nuggets

100g red lentils

1 medium sweet potato, around 200-250g

1 large carrot

half red pepper or handful of other veg like peas, sweet corn etc

50g cheddar cheese, grated

1 teaspoon paprika

black pepper

2 pieces of bread for breadcrumbs

1 egg, whisked

recipe 

1) peel and cut the sweet potato and carrots, put into pan with washed lentils. put enough water in the pan to cover the ingredients. boil. once boiled, keep an eye on this mixture making sure that the veg is cooked. the mixture is ready when the water has evaporated. mash mixture and allow to cook.

2) cut half pepper into small pieces. put this into the cooled mixture

3) add paprika, black pepper, cheese and breadcrumbs, egg to mixture and stir well.

4) make nuggets out of mixture and fry or put in oven at 200 degrees for 20 mins on a well greased oven try and brush the top of the nuggets with oil.    turn over a couple of times.

serve with veg or have as a snack