Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much water

I'm confused about how much water my LO should be drinking inbetween meals and breast feeds. I think Annabel only has about 100mls per day, is that enough alongside the breast and solids (she gets lots of fruit which has a high water content) or should I be giving her more?  (she is now 7months and 10 days)  She isn't constipated and still breast feeds on demand between 4-5 times a day.

How much does your LO drink? Do you regularly offer water or just at meal times?

Replies

• Options

Hi I also breast feed my 8 month old, I usually only offer water at meal times but today he is snuffley and is guzzling away rather than flooding the house!!

thinking I should be offering sacks between meals but with sleeping and breast feeds there doesn't seem to be any more time!!

• Options

Hi Nicola, Don't worry too much. If Annabel is getting enough milk at each breastfeed, and has not dropped a feed or is taking less, she will be fine! Do keep offering her a little water at meal times though. When she does start dropping a feed or you feel she is not taking enough milk, then start trying to introduce more of other fluids to keep her hydrated. image

• Options

S-J3

I too only really offer Annabel water at meal times, although if it's warm I do try to remember to give her additional sips. But you are absolutely right, it is hard to fit extra cup feeds in, with breast feeds, solid food, sleep time and of course activities, our days are so full ( that's before I have even tackled the house work!!) Hope the your LO's snuffles have subsided.

Thinkweiss,

I have no idea where we are up to with breastfeeds, some days Annabel has about 6 feeds other times its only about 4. She is putting on weight though so I'm not worried, I'm sure she will regulate her schedule herself. Was worried I might not ne hydrated her enough, but she has good soft poops, wet nappies and is generally happy. So hopefully we are doing something right,

• Options

Sounds like she is doing great. image

• Options

Hi, the snuffles subsided and he now has 5 teeth!!

hope you ok x

• Options

S-J3, 5 teeth wow we only have 2!!

I have increased the amount of water I give Annabel, I tend to offer her sips throughout the day as well as giving her her cup at dinner times. She can hold it herself now so dictates when she actually wants any. I try to give her lots of water-based foods too like cucumber, grapes and melon just so I know that she is hydrated.

Breast feeding is getting more regulated, we now have between 3 - 5 feeds a day, more occasionally if Annabel is unwell or particularly tired.

• Options

Ive always found it hard to get my lo to have water and tried every cup i could find. Ive found now he is getting older and having less breast milk he is more interested in having water but he has it little and often more than gulping large amounts. 

• Options

my little one is the same as Jodie-Lou, tried so many cups and not interested. He drinks water when I am drinking it and he wants it from my glass. If I give him some water in his cup he is not interested! He does love cucumber, melon and cherry tomatoes so is well hydrated.