Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Impressed with Baby-Led Weaning

I had dinner with a friend and her little one who is the same age as Annabel, I was absolutely amazed watching her little one eat. The baby was picking up everything, including peas, biting, chewing, sucking, it reminded me I think a Tudor feast would look like.  They have done baby-led from the start. It made me think that I hadn't actually  done any research into BLW, as a traditionalist I had decided that I would do purees and not explore any other avenues. Now I'm not saying that I regret any part of our weaning journey so far or that I wish I had done BLW, but I may have poo, pooed it as a 'radical new idea' too quickly and perhaps should have given it a bit more thought and maybe even have done a bit of research into it. We have had a fab weaning journey so far, Annabel has enjoyed almost everything that I have given her and I have thoroughly enjoyed the cooking, preparing and planning all of her purees. My advice to anyone who is about to start weaning and not sure which method to try, do your research and talk to other Mums. Don't poo, poo BLW as I did, it might actually be a good idea!

Replies

• Options

I think it all depends on the child, i started off on purees then used a combination of purees and finger foods and I have found there is no difference in stages of eating between my lo and friends baby's that used only baby led weaning from the start. 

Like you I also thought it was just some crazy phase and prefered the idea of traditional purees. I now think there are benefits to both methods and every mum should go down the route that feels right for them image

• Options

You're right it does all depend on the child adn the family, I have hot friends who's LOs won't take from a spoon and others that won't try finger foods. I think in the long run it makes no developmental difference to the way a child eats.

I was keen to do tradional weaning, I hadn't reserached BLW and didn't know much about it, I would most-likely do the same on my next child. 

It may be selfish but I actually enjoyed making purees, making up reciepes and of course sharing them on the Weaning Village.

Each Mum will make her own mind up and do what is best for her and baby. 

• Options

I agree, I would also do the same next time. I think purees are good as it also gets them used to soft sloppy textures as well as harder chewy foods. The childrens centres by me run talks about baby led weaning but I didnt go thinking it was a load of rubbish but looking back I wish I had gone so I had a better understanding

• Options

We did BLW & it's been fantastic. It's meant I've never had to cook a separate meal for my daughter & I've never had to eat a cold meal as my daughter has always fed herself. It's so easy when you're out & about as they just eat whatever you do so you don't need to worry about finding somewhere to eat up a jar. It's not for everyone but it's definietely worth people looking into & many people are suprised at how much & how well my daughter eats.

• Options

I did mainly purees with my first and introduced the finger foods at about 9  mths. This time I'm doing the BLW and we are both loving it, however we are traditionalists to a certain extent in this house and are cereal eaters for breakfast so my lg has soggy weetabix every morning off a spoon and a yoghurt from a spoon most days too. I see no harm it her having the best of both worlds. I am amazed though how much she has come on with her hand eye co-ordination over the past 2 weeks. It is an amazing process to watch. I would agree with the original poster and advice new mums to do some research but more importantly talk to mums who have done BLW. They are the best promoters image

• Options

I agree Emlowe and think it's great to have the best of both worlds.  We've been doing purees with finger food for snacks but introducing more finger food at meal times now my son is 8 months.  It's been great to see his development but also giving him finger food rather than puree at lunch has actually helped his post lunch time nap!  Since we've given toast and other things at lunch he sleeps longer!  

• Options

We did BLW & used spoons. It's very easy to do pre loaded spoons & it's amazing how quickly they learn how to use the spoon independently.

• Options

I agree Blackkat.  Always give them a spoon and he's certainly wanting to do it more himself these days.