Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toast

Toast-

Giving your LO toast for the first time is quiet nerve wracking, I really worried that Annabel would choke on it. The grandparents disapproved and fretted they thought she should stay on purees for at least another 3 months. But actually it was really successful giving her toast, she really enjoyed the independence of holding it herself and playing with it. I first gave her toast just after 7 months, she is now just over 8 months, I think it opened the door for other finger foods.

She didn't really choke although we had a few scary moments when she would cough and splutter, but this was really important as it taught her about how to swallow, chew and eat larger chunks of food safely.

My advice for anybody who wants to try introducing toast, is to take it slowly, expect a few episodes of coughing and spluttering and of course for only half of it to actually end up being digested.

Replies

• Options

Yeah toast soldiers is a great way to introduce finger food. My lo liked toast fingers with little slices of cheese to nibble on x

• Options

toast is brilliant as finger food and you could try giving her cheese on toast slices when you feel more confident. 

• Options

Cheese on toast is brilliant as finger food on the move as well!

• Options
    Going to try this tomorrow. I need to build my confidence with different foods! Wish me luck.
  • Options

I definitely want to try this with Bert asap - he is almost 7 months (on the 22nd) I am nervous - I gave him a Farley's Rusk today whole and he ate that really well - knew what to do, took it up to his mouth, used his two front teeth to scrape it, mush it up - and I could see him gumming the bigger pieces that broke off - my mum and sister were here with me so I felt more confident. It was only afterwards that I read on the box that you shouldn't give them whole until 9/10 months…oops!

I will definitely try toast soon though as I think he will really enjoy it. Any advice on what bread and how well to toast it would be great. We have Hovis Wholemeal bread I'm not sure if that would be okay? It doesn't have any grains or lumps in it, so I'm not sure?

Lucy x

• Options

The HV's advise no wholemeal as it will fill up the babies with too much fibre and it may curb their appetite. However we only have wholemeal or granary in this house. I think that a little too much fibre is better than the white breads bunging them up. This is down to you though. I suppose if you have the time and energy a good alternative is homemade bread made from a good quality white flour. Its up to you really and what you feel best. But if you are already a wholemeal house this is what I would go forward with. Good luck with the toast xx

• Options
    It's mad isn't it, telling you no whole meal, but that's better for them than white? I give Henry wholemeal x
  • Options

Glad to hear you all give wholemeal as I just ploughed on and have been giving him wholemeal bread- he loves it! Especially cheese spread sandwiches! image Haven't been brave enough to give him toast yet - does it sound silly…soft squidgy sandwiches just seem so easy for him to eat/chew - toast is that little bit harder/tougher - and he only has two teeth - I WILL give him some at lunch time tomorrow - I'll be brave- will let you know how we get on. image thanks ladies x

• Options
    I toast it for a min so it's slightly crusty but still soft x x
  • Options

Hi, Thanks Deb Tad - that's exactly what I did - toasted it lightly, and used the wholemeal bread we use each day… he really liked it. Made quite a mess, but seemed to get on well with it and enjoy the taste and texture. He had a couple of little coughs and splutters, but on the whole he managed fine with it. I feel a bit more confident to give him toast on a more regular basis now. Great to add another thing to the list! 

Bert enjoying his toast!

yum yum yum! 

• Options

Aww Bert is a little cutie. I'm glad he's liking the toast. My youngest is nearly 10 mths now and still has no teeth and is well able to 'gum' her way through roast beef on a sunday image They love the independence x

• Options

I totally agree about the independence EmLowe - they get more and more determined to be independent and do things without your help each day don't they? image Love the thought of your little one gumming her way through roast beef, good on her!! x