Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Spicing up purees

Hi everyone, 

Bert and I are pretty new to weaning - in our 3rd week now - he's 5 months - getting on really well with purees and baby rice. I just wondered when any of your started spicing up the purees (if you used them) with herbs and spices? Can any of you recommend any ideas? I saw that Nicola added mint to her courgette and pea puree and I really love that idea - I use herbs a lot in my cooking, and have a very full spice rack. I was thinking of adding some nutmeg to his potato? What do you guys think? 

x

Replies

• Options

Sounds a very good way to add flavour.

One to try which my little one liked is adding a cinnamon stick when making apple puree.  Take it out when you blend but it's amazing the flavour that it adds.

If you're doing any spinach you could also try to add nutmeg into it as they go really well.

• Options

Oooh i love the idea of a cinnamon stick with apple - I will def try that. And spinach and nutmeg is yummy, so I'll definitely do that too. I'll let you know how we get on. x

• Options

Anyone else with any ideas recipes - so far we've had apple and cinnamon and potato or spinach with nutmeg - any advances? I'd love some more ideas….

• Options

Tomato and Basil - (Also I add pepper to most savoury foods and my girls love it)

Cheesy Cauliflower with nutmeg

Carrot and Cardamom / Coriander

x

• Options

Oooh I love the sounds of those Emlowe - brilliant - I'll definitely try some of those with Bert. I think its nice to spice things up with herbs and spices for them - my hope is that it will get Bert's taste buds used to a variety of flavours straight away. I'd love any more ideas x

• Options

Lucy, I added a small amount of curry powder (literally a sprinkle) to pureed apple and parsnip very early on in our weaning journey.

Add some ceyane pepper, paprika or mustard ( not all together obviously) to cheese and mashed potato, you only need to add a small amount. 

Add some ginger to carrots, either when boiling before making into purees, or if making sticks for finger foods add fresh ginger to the oven dish when roasting. 

Add a sprinkle of grand masala to a pan of sweet potato, lentils and carrots, this is a first great introduction to curry. As the baby gets older and use to spice, add garlic and ginger to the same dish (even a small sprinkle of chilli or curry powder) and you can enjoy it too. I would puree half for Annabel and then eat the other half with rice for my lunch, yum yum. 

I think adding flavours early on really increases the enjoyment of eating and makes a less fussy eater, who will hopefully enjoy eating as an experience not just a way to fill a tummy. 

Enjoy, let me know if you try any of the above and how it goes. X x 

• Options

Oooh Nicola - some GREAT ideas there - thank you! I'm excited about getting a little more adventurous with his baby purees - I plan to do another big cook off once I've run out of my current stock of homemade foods, and I will definitely spice them up with some of your ideas and I'll let you know how we get on…It probably won't be for another few weeks yet - but I've written down all the ideas ready! 

Thanks 

Lucy x