Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

New weaning study

Did anyone else see this article on the BBC? I don't think the UK guidelines will be changing but unfortunately some people don't seem to be researching into it because they think the baby food companies are not pushing enough against doing it pre 6 months.

My take on it is that maybe mothers intuition should play a part? I did my two at around 5 1/2 months which is a little but not really.  They both showed signs of being ready earlier (both sitting very early, interested etc) but because I have asthma and my son has bad eczema I wanted to make sure their digestive systems were ready to take food and not have weaning early to blame if they did get an intolerance.

Be interested to know other peoples thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12180052

Replies

• Options

Thanks Mummy Swan, interesting article!  I weaned my LO slightly earlier than 6 months. We are so lucky as we have research taking place all the time, therefore the advice on weaning will always change depending on the latest evidence, so it can be hard for parents to 'get it right'. But you are right, parent's intuition and understanding of the upto date recommendations is the best way to make choices. As long as you are safe and not weaning before 17 weeks ( which to my knowledge has always been a no no!), then ultimately it is each parent's decesion. 

• Options

Very interesting article! I really do think mums can't win - I remember when we weaned my (now 18 year old) brother - the advice back then was to wean at 4 months - and he was ready for it, happy, healthy and has grown up at a really healthy weight with a love for lots of foods - it didn't do him any harm. 

Now with my son I've been slightly more relaxed and decided to wean earlier than 6 months (19/20 weeks) because he was showing signs of being hungrier, interested in food, grabbing at my food etc - he has taken to it brilliantly, and I have no regrets at all. 

I think you are both completely right - it should all be about mothers intuition. As long as you're not giving solid food before 17 weeks then surely it should be okay - if your baby isn't ready then you won't read the signs (because they won't be there), or they will just spit out/refuse the food. I think as long as the first foods you give them are sensible (baby rice, veg puree, rusk with milk etc) then you can't go too wrong. 

I don't know much about BLW so I can't really comment on that, but I think purees and baby rice are absolutely fine early on. 

xx