Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My son don't eat

My son is 14 months and he refuses to eat anything I give. He has no interest in food. He only drinks formula milk every 3 hours, 

Replies

• Options

Hi

How much formula does he drink every 3 hours?  Forgive me but this seems quite a lot of milk for his age.  My 9 month old drinks 3 bottles of 220ml (7oz I think) a day and I think at a year with my daughter this was down to 2 of formula and 1 of cows milk.  He could simply not be eating because he is too full from all the milk.

It might be good to cut down one or two bottles to almost force him to be hungry to be interested in food.  It may be horrible if he wants the milk and is moaning for it but I think by making him a little hungry (I'm not talking about starving him or anything!) it will give him an interest in food.  

I hope this helps.

• Options

Have you spoken to your HV or GP? They would refer you to dietician who could help with his eating. It could be a range of different problems. I would also suggest keeping a food diary for a few weeks to help them understand any patterns...

I would imagine they will ask questions such as;

Did he ever eat?                                                                                                                Was there an event that caused him to stop eating? Death in the family a bad choking event etc.                                                                                                                           What are his favourite foods?                                                                                           Do you eat with him?

At 14 mths he should the HVs advise that they should be having their milk from cups rather than from a bottle but obviously their main source of nutrition should be from food. In addition if he is having so many bottles this could start affect his teeth and therefore his bite.

Good Luck and please keep us updated we will help as best we can. xxx

• Options

Hi, I agree with the other posts. It sounds like he is having too much milk, therefore full so not interested in foods. You need to slowly turn this round. Try making him milky foods ( as you know he likes the taste, consistency) such as porridge, weetabix, cheese sauce dishes, even some mash potato with milk and cheese. 

Also make meal times fun and interactive. Sit together at the table, put the radio on, ensure you both eat together. I often share a plate of fruit or toast with Annabel who enjoys this as an activity as much as anything, she likes handing me a piece of food and me handing her one. If he watches you eating and enjoying it he will hopefully copy.

Take it slowly, don't push the issue but be relaxed make the eating experience enjoyable. But I agree you should have a chat with you HV as she may be able to offer some tips or advice. 

Please, please keep us updated.