Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Food of the month - February

Food of the month: Bread.

We all love bread!!?? it is a great finger food for babies and a great simple, quick and easy, throw together dinner/lunch for toddlers. Whether it’s toast, breadsticks or a good old fashioned butty, at some point our little ones will be nuzziling away on it.  

Bread can be plain, wholemeal, nutty, white or brown. No doubt our own Grandmothers will have a recipe or two as it use to be common practice to make your own fresh. Making bread makes the house smell lovely and wholesome.

So this month lets celebrate bread with some easy recipes, and serving suggestions.

Courgette bread

Cheese and onion bread

Breadsticks

Replies

• Options

Courgette and Cheese bread.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/TZPaSPeZWiMqxdNpCqS7EWP7Ees7he6cCJGszgqdEnJzYcftDPyTdVayCAQ2KjIbqkE4r3fRHuS0DaHxz4rXJ6FN4Eojli_eBPrz6qTy5soel1HQNmgmdvAsVg

Annabel loved this, we had it toasted for breakfast and then as a finger food cold snack. It lasted a few days but was definitely better toasted the older it got.

You will need:

Bread flour - I used wholemeal but white will also do.

2 packets of yeast.

1 large courgette - grated and left for about 10 minutes to dry out somewhat.

A cup of grated cheese.

Warm water.

Most bread flour will have the method of making a basic bread on the packet. Follow the instructions but at the stage you add the warm water add the mixed cheese and courgette mix well and THEN add the water. (you may need slightly less water than advised as the courgettes will provide moisture to the mixture)

Follow the instructions on the flour regarding the raising/baking of the bread.

This easy addition to normal bread making makes the loaf much more tasty and obviously enhances the nutritional value.   Yum Yum.

You can also make cheese and onion bread. Follow the instructions above, but start off  by frying an onion in a splash of oil.  Let the onion cool before mixing with a cup of grated cheese, then add to the dry bread mix (before adding the water), with a small spoon of cayenne pepper or paprika. Then cook as per bread flour packet guidelines.  Enjoy!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/dgCj7K3SLmbzgTImyQp3E-S51t5ptHpdUXUkJZX_lIf9r-N2M5afEP51jLL_2lIVl6jYJmxzWxNTY5dYOXt3luoSvCccX_03q-AGwe0_hYpznTLh2jdgUUS-Og

Annabel and I couldn’t help but watch our bread cook, we were waiting in anticipation for it to be ready.
  • Options

Sounds yummy. My lo loves toasties with cheese and/or ham

• Options
    I made bread with Emily (3) the other week, it was a bit wet in the middle. Think I needed more flour. But will definitely try again. It's so easy and rewarding.
  • Options

Bread is amazing and so versatile especially for children.  Both of mine love it and what ever format it comes in although I think toast is the most popular.

We have used our breadmaker but the problem is my husband and I eat too much of it when it's fresh so just stick to buying it when reduced and sticking it in the freezer! Lazy I know... Must do some more baking soon!

• Options

I love fresh bread but whenever I make it its still doughy in the middle. I am the worlds worst baker though!!

• Options

Emlow - the oven need to be a bit hotter, Try making sure that you preheat the oven for about 15-20 minutes before hand so it is really warm. I would also recommend using the metal bread tins not the silicone ones, I don't think they bake large items very well (great for buns but not whole loafs). You could also try making the bread mixture into two round loafs so not use a tin a tall. 

The smell of baking gread is the best in the world, estate agents advise you bake bread when trying to sell your house as it makes the home smell/feel homely - apparently!? image

• Options
    I haven't tried making bread again, just don't seem to have a spare minute.

I used the silicon one and mine was soggy too x
  • Options

Oooh this bread sounds super scrumptious!! I love baking - in fact I write a baking/lifestyle blog at http://www.mrsbishopsbakesandbanter.co.uk I'd love you lovely mummies to check it out - I have lots of family friendly recipes on there. I love the sound of the courgette bread Nicola, and will definitely give it a go at some point soon (once I've actually started giving Bert bread, he hasn't tried it yet!).

My husband is the bread baker in this house (he has the patience for it, I hate having to wait to prove it etc!) he's made some delicious breads in the past - so I'll tell him about the courgette recipe - thanks! 

Lucy x