Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Guilt over shop bought baby food??

Before I had my son Bert I dreamt of what life as a first time mother would be - I would float along effortlessly breast feeding my son under one arm and making healthy nutritionally perfect organic baby foods with the other.

For me, the breast feeding never happened, Bert was severely tongue tied at birth, and it just wasn't going to happen. 

Then when weaning began I started by making up huge batches of veg purees for him, and later a batch of spaghetti bolognaise. I froze them and I use them as much as I can manage. But I don't always find them practical when going out for the day or away for the weekend. I forgot to thaw some out on a few occasions and began to use shop bought baby foods on a few occasions. Bert loved them - especially the variety of flavours/textures etc and boy does it make my life easier! 

So I use these on quite a regular basis now, and bulk buy them in the deals at the supermarket. I know from having spoken to the nutritionalist for Heinz that all their meals are balanced, with nothing added except fortified vitamins - there are rigorous checks and rules in place to ensure these foods are a great standard for our little ones. 

I still give him my own homemade baby foods, and homemade snacks/finger foods etc - but convenience does win most of the time. 

Should I feel guilty? Am I cheating? 

I'd be interested to hear your opinions. 

Lucy x

Replies

• Options

Hi huni

Dont feel guilty i was the same as you with my son, i started off with the jars when he was younger just to get the taste of food, and if we had some thing easy to blitz in the food blender i would give him that to try, as he has got older he now eats what we eat.

I dont think its done my son any harm not having homemade food from day one, he is not a picky child at 20 months he is happy to try all different foods, he loves veg and pasta and meat and potatoes, fruit on its own he is not so keen to eat but loves fruit yogurt xxx  

• Options

Guilt is such a strong part of parenthood. You will forever feel guilty about everything you do and everything you don't do. But fundamentally you will always do what is best for you and your family, if that means using a jar/pouche of food then so be it! 

Like you said, baby food is so rigorously monitored and has to be full of the appropriate nutrients and vitamins. It is not going to do your baby any harm having a mix or ready-made food, home made food and fresh fruit and veg, variety is the key. 

You have to do what works for you all, this means at times you need ready made food, as you want go out and enjoy your day with Bert. 

• Options

Sad but true I have a friend who is one of those "step ford wives " type. Only organic always homemade yadayadayada.... I did a decent mix of both home made and shop bought jars and when I used to visit I'd empty the jars into a different home container and bring with me just so I wouldn't have to explain or put up with those looks!! With child number 2 I dare her to even question me????xx 

• Options

Haha good on you Emlowe. I think that a lot of the time it is just about being confident with your choices and stamping out the guilt - not letting others make us feel inferior or that we are doing something wrong. 

Thanks for your support ladies, and good to hear some of you did a mix of both as well. Realistically, I know that it won't hurt Bert, and may even help him to not become a fussy eater as he is eating far more variety than I would be able to cook for him at the moment. 

Like you Sarah, I aim for Bert to just eat whatever we do for dinner, and will hopefully build up a portfolio of recipes that are suitable for us all. 

image x

• Options

just go with the flow huni, and remember you know whats right for your little one image

xx

• Options

You have to do what is right for you. Batch cooking can mean endless hours in the kitchen and can be stressful, therefore if buying jars makes you less stressed then that makes you a better mum!  That's what I try and think sometimes anyway.

Guilt is always part of it but I am trying to drop it as much as possible!

• Options

I'm definitely trying to shred the guilt and just enjoy my new role as Mummy as much as possible. I think it is easy to get really het up about the small stuff - and I know that making all of Bert's food would add extra stress that I don't need, so I settle for batch cooking sometimes and giving him jars at other times. He seems happy, is a very healthy weight, and I can cope really well with this mix. We need to learn as busy mums we can't take over the world and need to reach a happy-medium where we can balance all the jobs and get things done without pulling our hair out. I'm a firm believer in happy mum = happy baby. x

• Options

Im still trying to come to terms that I can't be Super Mum, Super amazing beautiful wife and an amazing professional at work ... Don't know who I was trying to kid. I'm lucky if I tick one of the above once a week haha