Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Starting weaning next week

Hi everyone, my little boy will be 17 weeks on Tuesday, and I'm going to start weaning him. What should I start off with? Obviously I'm not going to give him three meals a day straight away! I'm just not sure how to start it off? Iv given him a few spoonfuls of rusk in the past but realised he was too young at the time and his bottle satisfied him enough then anyway, any advice is great image xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi

Ive not had my baby yet lol and this is my first but my cousin was talking about this the other day and she said she used to blend things like sweet potato, carrots, spag bol, casserole, rice pudding etc for him and hes a happy healthy 4 year old now image

My mum was also telling me when she had me i obviously had milk but then after that she would just blend her own dinners she would make for me to try and i apparantly loved it. She hardly brought the jar stuff as doing it your own you know whats going in. I was her second child and with my brother being her first she stuck by all the rules and it ended up making him really fussy with his food and he still is now but ive always ate anything image

Hope thats helped a little image xxx
  • Options
    Thanks haleigh image I think I will blend my own food for him too! Jar food is so expensive and I love my veggies anyway, so I will just add a few more for LO image think I will try some sweet potato, a lot of people have mentioned that! I really don't want him to be fussy so I want to try as many flavours as possible! His dad is SO fussy and it drives me mad!! Haha xx
  • Options

Start with one meal a day I used to do lunch time, baby rice for a few days while he gets used to the texture, then one by one add a mashed/blended fruit or veggie, that way if he has a reaction you know what it is that's caused it. Then take out the baby rice n start mixing ur fruit n veggies eg parsnip and carrot or banana and pear. I used to make ice cube trays full of broccoli, parsnip, sweet potato, apples and pear etc and freeze them, much cheaper and then all you have to do is reheat. And if u wana mix with meat just cook the meat and add an ice cube of whichever veggies u choose. Good luck! i weaned my first at 12 weeks and she loved it, Lexie is 13 weeks tomoz but nowhere near ready yet x

• Options
    I've cube trays is a great idea! Thanks LH image I'm nervous incase it ruins his routine :/ but he can't stay on the bottle forever! Xx
  • Options

It's such an exciting time, a real milestone x

• Options
    I can't wait to see his face with all the different flavours! He's got a real cheeky personality so it's going to be a fun time I think image x
  • Options

Ice cube trays are great for saving on having tupperware everywhere which is very annoying!!

I found the Annabel karmel first book really useful for the lists of first foods and when to introduce second meals etc (after a couple of weeks) then third meal a few weeks after that.  And mainly fruit and veg purees but then gives good ideas for mixing up veg etc and then when to introduce things like cheese and pasta.

Good Luck 

• Options

Demi - how are you getting on? have you started weaning yet? Would love to hear how it is going and what you ended up giving your LO for the first time. It is such an exciting and wonderful time, we really really enjoyed our weaning journey!! -Keep us updated, 

x x