Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning a baby with cows milk protein allergy - help needed!!

Hi, my little one is 23 weeks and I am keen to try and start weaning soon but unfortunately my little one has been diagnosed with a cows milk protein allergy (at around 3 months old). 

We are supposed to be getting a dietitian appointment to help with weaning but. Or heard anything yet so wondered if anyone on here can help/give me some advice on how to start her off?

thanks, Laura

Replies

• Options

Hi! My son has cmpa and is now 17 months. 

We had alot if comments, oh it must be hard or what does he eat etc but fruit, veg, carbs and meat/fish obvious meals, the same as we eat. I used alternatives, so dairy free butter spread, have tried all different alternative milks, oatly, koko and now we have the alpro junior soya milk. Do you know if your lo can have soya?

do you know what type of weaning your doing? We did traditional, so started off with veg purée, just once a day, same food for a few days then change to another type of veg. After a while mixed veg purée and intoduced fruits. Breakfast was next and looked for baby porridge with no added milk in ingredients and made with alternative milk. 

I found the made for mum weaning app very handy and would recommend for ideas and recipes, it's separated into ages too. Mainly don't overthink it. I find it hard now when eating out with my son that he eats off the children's menu to find something dairy free or take a packed lunch. 

Anything else I can help with, let me know xx

• Options

Thanks for your comments. theyve not said anything about my little one not having soya but then ive still not seen dietitian so ive really no idea!! I've started her on fruit puree and she seems to like it but tried to introduce organix baby rice (made with her special milk) but she can't stand it and just spits it out. Not sure if she doesn't like it or not quite ready.

Shes my first and so I still don't really know too much about weaning....I will have a look at that app that you mentioned though :)

any other advice welcomed! :) x