Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How do you fit in 3 meals?

I'm not at the stage of giving 3 meals a day yet, my baby is 5 months old and he gets breakfast every day and then we are trying dinner but not consistently every day yet. His routine is that he wakes up at 9am, has porridge and a bottle then has a nap 10.30 until 12 . He then has a bottle at 12, one at 4 followed by an hour nap then a bottle at 7 then bath and bed. So if I give him a dinner I tend to give it at about 3 ish.  So when you go up to 3 meals a day how are you not just constantly feeding your baby whenever they aren't napping? How do you get time to go out anywhere? I know this is probably a silly question but we are very outdoorsy so very rarely home all day and I feel like with naps, bottles and solid meals there won't be enough time in the day?! 

Replies

• Options

Hey! 

My little girl is 23 weeks and she is having breakfast (5oz bottle then baby rice with apple puree) when she wakes around 7am. Then a bottle around 10 if she's hungry (7oz). Lunch is 5oz bottle and a veg puree around 1/2ish. Then 7oz bottle around 4/5pm then bath at 6ish, bottle at 6.30ish and bed at 7 xx

• Options

Hey

i started weaning at 4months and my boy is now 6 months. I reduced the amount of bottles so now he only has 4 when previously he had 5-6. 

He will wake up at 7 and have 8oz bottle, porridge at half 8 followed by a quick nap, 6oz bottle at 11 and lunch (puréed plus finger food) at 1ish. He will then have a 6oz bottle at 3 folllowed by a 2 hour nap and then dinner (fruit and purée at 6. Bath, stories and 8oz bottle at 7:30 with bed :) 

It does feel like he’s constantly eating but manage to do it on the go (Apart from hos long nap!) 

• Options

Hanny I'm jealous of the 2 hour nap!! Maisie doesn't nap past 3 lol! She's awake from 3 until she goes to sleep at 7! Xx

• Options

Oh bless her!

I’m waking him most of the time after two hours.. tried to put him down earlier but he won’t do it!! Before that he only has 30 minutes of sleep in the morning so 7-3pm feels like a loooooong time haha

• Options

Still good though!! Maisie has half hour around 10 and half hour around 2 lol! But then she sleeps 7-6.30/7 so can't complain x

• Options

Hi, I think by the time you get to 3 meals your baby is older and sleeps much less - my little one is 9 months, gets up 6-7and goes to sleep 7-8 with 2 1 hour or so naps during the day. You get plenty of time to fit meals and play time + go out time. When we go out to a park, I plan it right after the meal, if further away and for longer, I take a jar or a pouch with me. At home I prepare her fresh meals but for going out I prefer something I know won't get spoiled. 

We started weaning at 6 months.

• Options

Thanks for the advice... I feel like we are getting into the swing of things now, he is 6 months old and has 2 meals a day with 4 bottles, however now he is getting more able to eat the sort of food we eat I have another question....my partner doesn't get home from work until 6 so we don't tend to eat our main meal until just after we put little one to bed so how am I best to do little ones meals....cook him a separate meal every day? Or make my partner eat his warmed up? What do other people in my situation do? 

• Options

My little one has her own meals at the moment .. we do traditional weaning rather than baby led. I just go with the flow. We usually eat when she goes to bed - bit more relaxed and able to enjoy properly!! Personally, I wouldn't want warmed up food every day lol xx

• Options

Thanks first...that makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one doing it the way I do it. Will you carry on doing it that was as your little one gets older? 

• Options

I will just go with the flow. As we don't usually eat until gone 6 anyway and her bedtime is 7 so I expect she will always eat before us. I'm sure there will come a point where we eat together but at the moment I quite like being able to sit down and enjoy my meal hehe. You just do what suits you hun :) but I wouldn't worry about her eating at a different time to you and your partner xx