Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

cereals to purees

Bronwyn loves her food, as some of you know, she has fruity breakfast cereal, creamed porridge and meditteranean veg rice. All are powders that you mix with water or milk. She wolfs these down, however when tried with carrot puree she wasn't impressed. I bought a cuple of organic jars and found that the texture is different and bronwyn accepted it more easily, although I did water it down a bit with some formula. Has anyone else found this??? Or does anyone have a way of making home made purees more palatable for her??

Replies

• Options
    Hi Caroline
    Try adding a tiny bit of onion.
    Or use a little of the water that the carrots were cooked in to make the puree a little runnier. Or if you steam the veg add a little boiled water.
    Also, use organic carrots as the taste is different to regular ones.
    I know you need to do 1 veg at a time to find her likes and dislikes, but mixing with a sweet tasting veg like butternut squash or parsnip may mean its more palatable for her.
    The first veg puree Katelin had was parsnips. She loved them.
    Hope this helps a bit.
  • Options
    I mixed Cameron's first purees with a little bit of baby rice, he also didn't like carrot at first but would eat it mixed with butternut squash, parsnip or swede.
  • Options
    Hi Caroline,

I hope the weaning is going ok.

Both my two loved sweet potato with carrot and sometimes I used to use that as my base and then add things to that gradually for more of a taste.

Have you tried her on fruit purees yet? Mango and banana with baby rice is a good one my two loved.
  • Options
    Just remembered that I also mixed a little fruit with her savoury.
    Carrot and apple was a good one.
  • Options
    Hi. Bon loved carrot and sweetcorn puree, you do have to sieve the sweetcorn though. With a little bit of butter it is delicious! Home made tastes so much better than any ready-made brand I ever tried on him. Adding peas is another version. I found Bon was quite happy to try anything on the sweeter side. He was breastfed and breastmilk is actually very sweet so it is no surprise that kids gravitate towards chocolate!
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice ladies.

Today we made progress, she actually took the jarred puree without being mxed with baby formula. I would much rather she ate my homemade purees but didn't like the texture which is why i am trying organic jars. This jar was apple so I think I am going to buy organic apples and puree those. I love avocadoes and mangoes so going to try them. Might not be able to get them in this sleepy town though!!

I think I might cook some of my icecubes of organic carrot and then puree it as i used the mouli and i don;t think it makes it smooth enough.
  • Options
    Hi Caroline, i had a mouli too, i found that its great for making the 'hard to digest food' into purees but i then went on to use a handblender to make them that little bit smoother.

hope this helps!

kas xx
  • Options
    Jessica went straight from packet mixes to what ever we ate, i just blended it with a hand blender.
    She was fine on purees and i didn't have to add anything sweet to make her eat them.

Good luck with it xx