Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning at 9 weeks???

Replies

• Options
    Ooooo looks like someones been telling tales!

I can completely understand your concern for a 9 week old being weaned. It is very young. But as far as the six months guidline goes - I dont agree.

There is NO WAY on this earth that I could wait till 6 months to wean Tyler. I started him at 17 weeks. before I started to wean him he was taking 8oz of C&G hungry baby milk every 2 - 3 hours and still whinging on top of that. As soon as i started him on baby rice he stoped whinging and now takes a 7oz bottle every 3 hours. For me its nothing to do with sleeping as he did and still does wake in the night and as he is probably my last I cherish the night feeds. My other 2 were weaned at 5 months also.

Its nice to see ur concern though - it shows u care about ur job, so thankyou very much.

When you see the lady in question tell her thankyou for her concern and im sure the girls she was talking to will welcome her to the site if she has an apology for all us nutters!!
  • Options
    I'm with EmmaLou, can anyone else smell a big fat TROLL!!!

(which just in case anyone doesn't know is someone who makes stupid post on forums specifically to start and argument amongst other members)

TROLL, TROLL, TROLL, TROLL, TROLL!!!!
  • Options
    Never though of it like that, makes sense now dont it lol
  • Options
    lol wouldnt web editor be able to look to see if the same person used the same email address to register??? and ban them
  • Options
    agreeing with you emmalou and bedhead, something definitely a bit suspect! Also with regards to the e-mail addresses could you just set up hotmail or google mail accounts for the same person with different e-mail addresses, I have no idea coz I'm a bit thick with technology :lol:
  • Options
    I can't beleive how rude that person was!!!!!! And that hv (if she is really) must be one of those that people complain and moan about on her!! lol! I hope that you have not been upset by any posts melissa87!!! I'm sure you didn't expect this to become such a 'hot topic'!!! Just trust your instincts and take any advice you want to from this post but ignore the rudeness of the two people who have only posted once and dont know us lot on here!
  • Options
    OMG.... whta's been going? A Troll, a HV and as for aprildancer, dont get me started.
    Whats the point? GET A LIFE!
    I have been busy today, and have been dying to get on here, i was going to leave it until the morning, but pleased i logged on now.
    Melissa87, i hope you have not been offended by what any of us have posted we are merely expressing our own opinions out of genuine concern. What ever you do or dont do, it's your baby hun.
  • Options
    I think the last couple of people have been right to mention Melissa. Hope your not upset or put off by how your post has turned out.
    xxxx
  • Options
    I think a apology is in order everyone has the right to bring up there baby properly and they need all the support and encouragement they can get. Did anyone bother to ask her what her situ was and why... before they start goading her

:evil:
  • Options
    Just read this thread all the way through and am sad that someone was horrible on here i love that BE is so friendly even when we don't all meet eye to eye. I hope its a one off and these two/possible one person doesn't come back unless its with an apology. Like the others said don't listen to them Melissa87 you are Ava's mum you know what the right thing is to do, and as long as you know all the facts (which i am sure that you do) then you can make an informed decision about what is best for your lo xxx
  • Options
    i personally think you should wait until the recommended age of 17weeks as these guidelines are there for a reason. Our parents may have weaned early but medical knowledge has advanced since then and knowing something could possibly damage your baby should convince you to hold out until at least the minimum 17weeks.
    I too had a hungry baby, there is no harm in increasing milk intake, babies are built to only take what they need, so if still hungry perhaps offer a little more. I used to offer an ounce more then i expected my LO to take.
    Hope you get on ok with feeding, Kayley.
  • Options
    A little too early???? FFS. My daughter was still curled up in a little ball with her eyes closed at 9 weeks! They can barely see what's in front of them, never mind eat three solid meals. Babies drink milk, that's what they're made to drink. Weaning before 4 months at the absolute earliest is a purely selfish action. You're doing it because you want to move them on to the next stage and you want them to sleep. Newsflash, babies don't sleep through the night. They wake up for things, they're little. Weaning doesn't make one ounce of difference. If they seem hungry, give them more milk. It's more filling and more calorific than anything you could possibly give them to eat at this stage.

This is my first and last post on this forum as I thought it would be full of women with a bit of sense, not nutters. Apologies to those of you with more sense who have posted.

wow some1 got out the wrong side of the bed,i think your on the wrong site love,troll city is to your left!!!!! off you pop!!!

ladies ppl like this just say things like that to get everyones backs up and then bugger off,being that it was their first post yet joined in june? hhhmm strange,maybe they got bored of the YAYW site as they always get trolls
  • Options
    melissa,hey chick its lisa,i would think it was a bit too early for weaning,their digestive systems aren't quite formed which is another reason why not to give honey early

i cant really remember with lennon but i think he was on about 8 bottles of 6/7oz in a day,would prob be best to spk to you hv or next time you go get her weighed,it could just be that shes a greedy baby and you will need matchsticks 2 keep you awake

lisa&lennon
  • Options
    WELL MY DAUGHTER WAS 12 WEEKS OLD AND SHE WAS A BUGGER AT EATING
    MY SON WAS 9 WEEKS HE WAS A GUZZLER AND NOW HES 2 AND LOVES HIS FOOD AND NOT FUSSY
    MY YOUNGEST IS 7 WEEKS AND IS ALSO A GUZZLER BUT IM GOING TO SEE HOW LONG HE CAN LAST ON JUST MILK AT THE MO HE HAS 10 6OZ BOTTLES A DAY BUT IF A BABYS HUNGRY FEED THEM ITS CRUEL TO MAKE THEM GO HUNGRY I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS, IF YOU ARE HUNGRY YOU EAT SAMES RULES FOR A BABY
  • Options
    I'm a great believer in mothering instincts - always have been, however I'm still a bit shocked to read comments such as "mother's instincts are never wrong" and "don't listen to anyone else, you know best." Since when did we all become experts? If we were, I don't think we'd be on here asking questions all the time. Of course it's your decision to make and you only want the best for your baby, but let's not all become so arrogant to presume we know everything there is to know.
  • Options
    Do people find that weaning really fills up baby? Im only asking as when i started weaning my boys (at 24 weeks) I found milk satisfied them more than pureed veg, was i doing something wrong? xxDBxx
  • Options
    Woah - cannot believe I missed all this!

At the end of the day Melissa you know your baby but I would recommend that you speak to your own hv or doctor about this.

My eldest (15) was weaned at 3 months as that was the guidelines back then, I cant really remember 7 years ago with Ollie - I think it was about 4 months but Tommy this time I started weaning when he was 17 wks! I just felt it was the right time for him.

As for the "new members" I would say that was probably THE RUDEST introduction I have ever heard! And as Zoey said - I thought she was the opinionated one lol but that was just abusive! I hope that was definately the first and last post in that vain!

The other person who posted - I respect your point of view but dont see how you can judge the baby in question when you have no knowledge of the family or circumstances in question. Me, personally, am quite pleased you are not my health visitor as I would rather experience was used - not just details quoted from a government leaflet.

Sorry to drag this post up again but I could not read it all and not reply! As for the rest of you I very much appreciate the advise you bunch of nutters have given me in the past and look forward to all future advice and support and am feeling a proud member of the BE Nutter Group lol
  • Options
    :lol: maybe we could have a nutter forum, shall we put it on website suggestions :lol:
  • Options
    Or some t-shirts? It would be a shame if other mum's mistook us for 'people with some sense' :lol::lol:
  • Options
    ha ha, youve seen those t-shirts that babies have saying "my mums a ymmy mummy" well maybe we could get one for our los that say "my mums a nutty mummy" :lol: