Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning at 9 weeks???

124»

Replies

• Options
    I go away for the weekend & come back to see I have missed all of this!
    Everyone has their own opinions, we are all as individual as our children & not everyone will listen to the other's advice! That's just life.
    Madness anyway i'm off for my sunday roast I just want to say I hope Melissa87 isn't frightened off by the craziness that has come from a question she asked out of genuiene concern & that she has actually found the advice helpful! xx
  • Options
    wont even mention the madness of all the posts....think its been covered!!!

Anyway, My first (now 17) was given baby rice at about 11 weeks. That was on the advice of my HV. Her brother (15) was 16 weeks... next one (4) was 16 weeks. Charlie who was BF till 6 months was given rice from 5 months. Amelia who is 8 months and I am still BF has been given it from 6 months and even now STILL is not too fussed.

What i am trying to prove is that each baby is unique. However, I do think 9 weeks is a bit early. As it is my 17 year old (touching wood) is the most healthy kid I have. My 15 year old is chronically astmatic and we nearly lost him to it a few times over the years. My 4 year is asthmatic but not too serious. My nearly 3 year old has awful eczema. Amelia so far is fine.

Who knows if this is caused by weaning too early, not breast feeding enough/ long enough etc.. or its just luck of the draw. I think its our duty to listen to guidelines...BUT that is what they are. They are not RULES.. they are there to guide us. Read the booklets and then take into account your childs weight, appetite etc... I would in my own opinion not wean till at least 4 months. Even then, just on plain rice for a while.

good luck all those weaning...its meant to be FUN!!!

d xx
  • Options
    Doublebubble, I know what you mean. I weaned my lo at 16 weeks, he is 24 weeks now, and is much more satisfied by milk.
  • Options
    Evening nutters (JOKING!!!!) Hope you're all well. I weaned DS at 16 weeks on the advice of my HV as he was a big bugger. He took to it really quickly and is now a solid 3 year old who will eat anything and everything you put in front of him. I decided to start DD at 18 weeks as milk didn't seem to be satisfying her anymore and it was becoming a battle to get her to take it. She loved food at first but then went off it and it's only in the last couple of weeks (she's nearly 8 months) that she's really started getting back into it. Coincidentally this was the same time I started giving her lumpier food so maybe that's it. In hindsight, I'm confident I started DS at the right time but do think I was a little hasty in starting DD when she was probably just being a bit faddy with her milk. Ultimately I'm in the camp that thinks 9 weeks is a little young but I don't know your baby and only you can make the decision as to whether she's ready for solids or not. If you are going to do it then my advice would be to avoid rusks and stick to gluten free baby rice and carb full veg like parsnip, carrot and potato (sweet and normal) as they're more likely to fill her up.
  • Options
    Hi hun, i weaned Ellie at 6 weeks and i dont really care who likes it or not. She was on 8-9 bottles of hungry baby milk at 9ozs a time and she was starving all the time. 20 years ago you were allowed to wean from 2 weeks, i dont know why everyone feels like they have to listen to HV all the time, its advice not the law, anyway Ellie was 1 year old last week and she is a healthy happy baby.
    Also just like to add that my best friend is a doctor and he said that weaning is a personal choice and every baby is differant and so no-one should be expected to wait to 17 weeks or indeed 6 months to feed their los if they need it sooner and their kidneys and bladders are well equipped to handle solids from birth. x
  • Options
    Well i spoke to my hv and she advised that the RECCOMMENDATION is not to wean until 17 weeks but it was down to personal choice ad many women start their babies on baby rice between 8-10 weeks. avas had porridge (gluten free), rusk and baby rice and loves it!! Is now sleeping 10 hours most nights and is much more contented. Sorry for starting ww3 lol xx
  • Options
    Hi Melissa, glad to hear you followed your instincts and it's working out well. Just to add my experience, my mum started weaning me at 6 weeks because I couldn't keep a thing down. I won't say 'It never hurt me' because I dohave digestive problems, but who is to say I wouldn't have had them anyway?? Especially as my dad also has digestive problems, maybe it's inherited rather than down to what I ate. This wa son the advice of the doctor at the time.

My LO Teagan is now 10 weeks and we have started trying the odd bowl of baby rice and a tiny bit of yoghurt with her as she is having days where she cannot keep anything down. She's barely gaining weight which the HV doesn't seem concerned about but I'm going with my instints on this, she's 10 weeks and weighs only 10lbs (born at 8lb 2oz)

Anyway, my waffle isn't helping you, but I'm quite sure you are not stupid, if you think your LO is affected in anyway by the introduction of other foods I'm sure you'll stop straight away!!

Corinna x
  • Options

My little girl Alexa she's 2 month next week and im thinking of giving her one spoonful of baby rice in the evening, she's demolishing 6oz bottles every 2 hours nearly and shes still hungry afterwards. When i put her on 5oz bottles at 4/5 weeks the health visitor told me not to but i ignored her coz she was starving and shes been on 6oz for past week now and shes still hungry.

• Options
    I was feeding my baby every 10 mins it was ridiculous so I put her on hungry baby milk and made no difference so I tried comfort milk it changed so much it went to every 3 hours within a week. Also I changed the teats as sucking too hard at a teat can make them more hungry with the energy used to get the milk x
  • Options

You do what you feel is right! Babies will tell you what they want! They are not machines and are not all going to follow “guidelines” ... if your baby is hungry they are hungry! All babies are different weights etc ... my little one is 11 weeks but his Weight is at a 4 months old. 

also i would just like to add if it was so dangerous before 17 weeks it would be the law and if you did wean before it would be classed as abuse. All me and my 3 brothers were weaned at around 10-12 weeks. And by weaned I mean a couple of spoons of baby rice morning and tea! All that it is is thicker milk. go with what your little one wants! Not a book!