Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

trapped wind - will it pass?

Replies

• Options
    I really do feel for you all. Sleep deprivation is awful - combined with the guilt feelings that being unable to settle your baby makes you somehow inadequate. You are all wonderful mummies I'm sure and although it seems really hard at the moment, it really does get easier.
    In the early days for me, I would bf her then put her down but it would take well over 2 hours to settle her then an hour later she was up for another feed. She too suffered from reflux and colic and like Sillymoo, she was also tried on the hypo allergenic formula which did nothing for her at all. I tried colief, infacol, gripe water & dentinox colic drops, I also bought the Dr Browns anti colic bottles - to me anything was worth a try. Not sure any of it worked properly to be honest as by the time I'd tried everything she was almost 11 weeks and seemed to become a different baby overnight. She also never slept for longer than 15 mins during the day so sleeping when she slept was virtually impossible!
    I have no miracle cures or advice to offer you, just a hug and wishes that your little ones turn a corner soon.
    xx
  • Options
    donnaand poppy you have mademefeel better by saying your lo changed at 11 weeks. ithink ive just got to grin and bear it. Thanks for all your advice every one.Have pretty much tried everything you are suggesting which is why im doubting that it is wind. took daisy to chiropractoryesterday andshe is convinced it is nothing to do with wind. i amhaving to trust her really, especially as yesterdays sessionhas made no difference what so ever. i have another one booked for saturday. My hv is useless she just says some babies cry a lot and some babies dont need much sleep!! v helpful but my baby is desperate to sleep sometimes. i have to keep scratch mits on her 24 hours a day otherwise shescratches her faceto bits with frustration. BIkerchick catch up with you later she is having a fit downstairs hopefully get on later
  • Options
    I've just posted on the one about dream feeds for you - have you tried the anti colic bottles?? They help even if they don't suffer from colic, it is so easy for them to swallow air while feeding that it really can't help.
    If you haven't tried them and fancy trying them, post back because I have a couple of Dr Browns bottles that I'm not using anymore - you can have them, you'd just need to buy new teats for hygiene.
    xx
  • Options
    hi all just wanted to say that my baby is10 week tomorrow and he suffers with really bad wind,i breast feed him.but he still suffers,i too am sleep deprived and look like a walking zombie when taking my other 2children to school in a morning.anyway,my hv told me that if you sit baby on your knee sidewards then hold their chin as if you was goin to wind them,then put the other hand on there back with 2fingers supportin their head,then keepin their bum on your knee roll them round an round,it loosens the wind,an is great if you do it properly,def worth a try even though it doesnt always work for me!! becky x
  • Options
    Bless you donna and poppy for the bottlething. i already use them, and becky 25 that is one of positions we go through too. WE try everything which is why it takes a good half hour to wind her. i might try a dream feed donna when im feeling brave enough, it would be great to get a bit more sleep last night it took till 11 till she dropped off to sleep after a 8.30pm feed she woke at 2.30 which isnt too bad 6 hours between feeds if only she would go sleep straight away. i crawled back to bed 4.30 only for her to start moaning at 5.15 icouldnt beleive it after i had invested all that time inmaking sure she was asleep before i got into bed. there is definitely something bothering her and i dont know what it is. i took her into work today and passed her round the clients they all thought they had the knack of settling her makes me smile when five mins later shestarts writhingaround after she did look dead to the world. its only then people know what i mean. she isnot a collicky baby though as she veryrarely screams for loud periods its more of a moany im in pain mum cry, and sometimes we have proper tears . Thanks for all your advice gils i cant wait for 2 months timewhenicanbe givingout allthis advice to the new mumswhen hopefully she will have setled down. i cant wait to bragabout how my baby is sleeping through the nighttoo!! which is one of the reasons i cant bear going inthe february forum listening to all the feb babies that are sleeping through its liketortureto a sleep deprived mum! Becky i really feel for you, one thing i did say is how on earth would i cope if i had anotherchild to lookafter,and you have too.i salute you babe!

Bikerchick hope you and mathew are ok, im really really knackered today but a bit like daisy i am overtired andi know when i get into bed my mind will start racing and i will strugggle to drop off. i have a stye on my eye today too whichdoesnthelp tiredstingyeyes, my mil says im run down and offered to have daisy tonigght. am i being nasty for saying no, she is only 6 weeks old not yet! So here we are facing another night it is so lonley sometimes. andchick i would gladly do msn or smn or whatever it is but i havnt got a clue how to do it, i amcrap with computers, and while i often think at am i wish i could get on computer it is upstairs and i dontwantto wake oh up. what i need is a lap top and then i could hold her with one arm and type with other, until then we can continue to rant on here until mathew sleeps through the night and then i wont want to speak to you!!!!!! only joking.
  • Options
    Hi Wind Crew, how are we all?!

Same ole thing with me and Matthew - he continues to gripe and hold onto his wind. There are tiny little bits of progress, in that very occasionally when I sit him up he just burps without me needing to rub his back. I hope this is the start of him beginning to settle! Sleepwise - I am the same as you westbrom - after an 8pm feed he will then go through til 2.30-3, however it takes me til 9.30-10pm to get him to settle and sleep so I'm still only getting 4 hours broken sleep, because I wake during these 4 hours everytime he wriggles or grunts! Grr. He'll then go til about 5.30-6ish. I also don't go on the Feb boards because of all these babies sleeping through! What are they classing as sleeping through though? My mum says that most babies don't properly sleep through til 4-5 months as they're tummies are just too small and the need to eat overrides the need to sleep.
    lolstephen/ laura - how did osteopath go yesterday?
    xx
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Well I ended up rescheduling the osteopath for monday as Ella has turned a corner over the last couple of days and stopped screaming the place down. She does take a little while to settle still and wind is still a bit of a problem but she is now sleeping 1am til about 6 or 7. Then fed and back down til about 10am.

Stopped dairy completely and she has been fine. She still wriggles and goes red trying to pass wind and bowel movements but not half as bad. Also someone suggested drinking camomile tea and hour before a feed and you should have heard the wind that came out of her bottom not long after her feed. Couldn't believe that she can hold that much. She is quite settled now and sleeping comfortably so I'm hoping we've found the problem and the calmomile tea continues to help. Will give it another couple of days and try to reintroduce dairy slowly to my diet.

Glad of some peace and quiet and she is so much happier now. Wish your lo's can be the same too. Its so tiring and you feel so useless when they scream their little hearts out.

How you feeling? You coping ok bikerchick?

• Options
    hi, my lo jack who is 6wks on Monday who was 6 wks early is the same will not sleep unless he is on me i cant do anything even go to the toilet with out him screaming the house down. i know he is in pain and not being a fussy baby how are you lady's coping i have been so lucky im a single mum but as im still at home with my mum and dad so they have jack for a few hours a day so i can sleep i really dont know what i would do if i did not have that help. i hate feeling like im wish these early days away but this really s no fun seeing your baby in pain and them looking for you for help and you have done all the you can. and the hv told me its not painfully for them that is so rubbish and its like coz jack is my first i dont have a clue what im talking bout. hope it gets easier soon for us all. good luck tori XxX
  • Options
    HI Toriwelldone you for coping so well on your own, it is so hard and allus ladies can sympathise as it is so frustrating particuarlly when you are doing the majority of the feeds on your own. Its my first too and babies dont come with a hand book unfortunately, even if they did i thinkwe are just unlucky as to have particuarlly windy babies. Ithinkthe hvis talking rubbish theysay your instict kicksinand you know what your baby wants. now i know when my baby is in pain she doesnt cry unless its for a reason. Theydo my head in i have a new hv on monday as mine fineshed last week, ihope she is moresympathetic than the last one. Youare doing a great job we will all ride it out together!!!!!

Daisy update: Last night Daisy slept from 11.30 till 2.30 and 4.00 till 6.00 then i got her in bed with us asshewas fussing and she slept intermitantley till 8.30 si i got fewhours last night. Tookher back to chiropractor for second time this week she did some more treatment and told me to keep moving her around like bicycle her legs rotate her hips and ars etc. as if she gets stiff and uncomfortable. im going to give it a go, as at one time i could get daisy to settle in my arms no problem but now shewont and squirms around as if she is uncomfortable so i end up putting her in basket where she can stretch out. unfortunately she looks morecomfy but doesnt drop off to slleep very well. She isconvinced it is all due to the way i carried her. her back was on my right instead of the left and apparently your liver is on the left hand side so she didnt have as muvh room, also i had to have an emergency c section and she was wedged in pelvis and had to be delivered with forceps, so it kind of makes sense. i think combined with the wind issues is why she is so unsettled. Which is why the hv pissed me off by saying some babies dont need much sleep. any one knows if a baby gets over tired it is a nightmare to get them to sleep,im exactly the same myself. Yesterday i took lo out shopping to asda and shefell asleep for good hourand half inthe trolley . i thenfed her and my oh fineshed work and we tookherout shopping again in the pram and she hadanother hour i think this is why she sleptbetter last nightas shehadhad some sleep inday. so i am going to tryand get daisy out in the pram as much as possible. I have my six weekcheck on monday with doctor and am hoping to get some more cosynthesis powder as i think that is helping too.

lolstephen i am so glad Ellaseems more settled it is great when you try someones advice and it works. by the way love the name Ella was my second choice for a name but my oh nan was called daisy so it kind of swung it x
  • Options
    westbrom - glad you getting a couple of hours sleep! I've also found taking Matthew out in the pram helps - the motion (the bumpier the path the better) seems to soothe him and he can get to sleep.
    lolstephen/ laura - really pleased you seem to have found a solution for Ella.
    Tori - welcome to our Windy thread! We seem to use it to have a good ole rant when we're tearing our hair out with our lo's wind. It's soul destroying and as first time mums I think it hits us particularly hard as we're just coming to terms with being a parent and what that involves, but also with the added stress of having a lo in pain and being unable to help them. Really glad you've got support. I'm home alone alot of the time and have had to leave Matthew to cry for 10-15 mins occasionally just to go into another room and take a breather. I also confess I've shouted at him a couple of times in frustration when he will just not stop crying. What a terrible mother. Although I'm sure other mums shout at their lo's. My mum is coming today for a few days so hopefully I can catch up on some sleep.
    xx.
  • Options
    ggggrrrrhhhhhh! God i hate health visitorsthey makeme feel so stupid!!! Daisy has got progressively worse last 2 weeks despite using colysynthis powder. which i have to say she does most of the timeget a burp. thereis something stopping her from settling and thrashing around in pain or what i think is pain. watching my lo go red inface drawing knees up i thought was pain and still do actually, but again these health visitors say stupid things likeall babies cry and you shouldnt keep going to them. She has basically said stop using powder stop using infacol she actually said that i shouldnt be using two forms of medicine anyway well it was my old health visitor that told me too she has left now and she said why on earth was i still paying to see a chiropractor when it obviously wasnt working. she said fiveminute burping time was ample even when she watched me get a burp 15 mins later she just said well you said it isnt working any way that i said daisy was still unsettled even if she burped. im like WHAT ARE you on about. i know im tired but come on. so basically i have to stop usingall the things im using and it doesnt matter if she gets her wind up or not as she doesnt settle anyway. all she kept banging on about was getting someone to lookafter herso i can get some sleep which i dont want to do. she said all mums swear by infacol dentinox etc but it is only becouse their digestive systems have matured and that they would have settled anyway. anyway she has told me to bath her at 630 instead of 8 o clock and to put her in the travel cot rather than the moses basket and not to take her downstairs to do night feeds, so i will try these things but god do they really have to be so patronising.
  • Options
    westbrom - did the things the HV suggest work?!? My HV was equally as helpful. When Matthew first started to get colicky at 3ish weeks old she suggested thinking about nighttime routine - bath, bottle, bed etc. What?! She obviously never had a colicky baby as I spend my evenings trying to soothe his wind pain/ colic, and no damn routine will take his pain away! Stupid woman. My advice babe is listen to them, then do what you feel is best. In the first few weeks of the colic/ wind I tried doing all the midwives/ HVs suggestions which were often conflicting so I tied myself in knots and didn't know my backside from my elbow. I thought I was being a bad mum if I didn't do what the HV/ midwife told me to do (naively), but I've eventually learned to trust my 'mothers' instinct. Hope you ok hun.x.
    Hope all you other windy mummies are hanging in there.xx.
  • Options
    I'm back again!!

Ella back to same old tricks but she is sleeping through the night still. Just crying and obviously in pain throughout the daytime.

Just don't know what to do anymore. The hv was round today and is happy with her as she has put on 8oz in a week which I'm told is extremely healthy for a bf baby. If she is growing fine then they don't seem bothered. My hv said today that all babies cry too. I know that but not to the point where they are red in face, arching back and trashing legs and arms around.

Just managed to get her settled for the first time today - as she has been feeding every hour since 10am. Hoping this is a growth spurt and not something new she is doing. Hv thinks that I am overfeeding her as comfort when she is screaming!!! What else do I do if she won't stop and chews her hand to bits (her way of telling me she is hungry).

Anyway - back to square one I think!!
  • Options
    hi girls well i can honestly say i have hit the lowest point since two days after my c section. the extreme tiredness when you feel jet lagged and cant eat cus you feel sick last night was the worst since i had her. i bathed her at 6.45 and put her in travel cot in our room awake she tossed and turned and fell asleep at 715 ish but woke up half hour later so i fed her put her back down and just listened to her moaning and groaning i dont know whether mathew does this but its as if she is asleep but wakes herself up every few mins. i kept going in and putting dummy in and i got into bed about 10 i think hoping to get some early zs but it just never happened i just kept looking at clock every half hour praying that i fall asleep like my oh had, then the tears started mine not daisys!!!!!!!!! its soul destroying. at 1 ish i picked her up cus she was doing my head in and she let out a really sharp cry and was sobbing which woke oh up so im sobbing and she drifts off to sleep with me sitting up in the bed and her propped up on my chest. oh told me not to cry but said he didnt know what to do either and before i knew it he had gone back to sleep, its so lonely sometimes. i eventually fed her about 2.45 and becouse hvtold me not to take her downstairs by the time i got back to her she was hysterical and had woke Lee up! i winded but got no burp and got her into the spare room bed with me as sometimes if i put her on her side she will drift off with me rubbing her back, but not last night!!! i couldnt wait till lee got upat7 so i could just tell him what a shit night id had, he said to get back into our bed with her for an hour. god if only it was that easy. so i got up fed her got back into bed and she started up again, i gave her some gripe water and it seemed to settle her a bit but by the time i started to drop off half an hour later she was crying again, and then was sick!!!! so no the routine canbe stuck up the hvarse im afraid. Anyway today i had my six week check told doctor and she just said she will grow out of it, shes a big baby so hopefully it will be soonerthanlater,she does agree with me though and thinks it is trapped wind thank you hv!! i told her about hv and she just shook her head and said to do what i feel is right. she said i have tried everything i can. so im at a loss as to what to do tonight. she is napping downstairs now, ive just had her in my armsfor over an hour and now Lee has her, i will bath her about 9 and feed her and let the nightmare begin. she issquirming around now so im dreading it, i should really let lee deal with her for few hours while i get couple ofhours but i cant if i can hear her. doctor suggested i put her in her own room so i cant hear her until she properly cries but that just seems so cruel at least i can put her dummy in if she by me. so i think tonight she will go in moses basket and i am going to settle her downstairs toocus hopefully she will be that knackered she will sleep oh i dont know ill let you know what happens . i feel for you too lolstephen my lo has to have scratch mitts on all the time as she claws her facewhile shoving them inher mouthand rubbing her eyes, but i got a bollocking off hv for that too as it will stop her development so now i feel even more guilty what do i do she said only put them on if she is going to sleep!!!!!!!! ha thats a joke i spend all day and night trying to get her to do that. good luck tonight girls x
  • Options
    westbrom - Huge hugs hun. Sounds like you are having the most god awful time. If it is any consolation I also hit a real low at the 6 week mark. My mum had come to stay, Matthew was screaming the place down, and I had a massive hissy fit, seriously sobbed til I vomitted and told her to get Matthew adopted because I was useless. Matthew is now 9 weeks and shes stayed last couple of days. My mum says she can see a real difference in him in that he's not screaming all the time, hes able to play on his play gym albeit for very short spells, and hes not fussing with every feed, although still with alot of them. He's still a very unsettled boy but my mum can see an improvement so that can only be good. I'm glad your GP agrees with you. I've now got to the point of riding it out. Matthew has been on the same formula with the same bottles and Dentinox for about 2-3 weeks now. No theres been no change, but I'm sick of messing about trying new things. I think weary is a good word to describe how I feel! Like Daisy, Matthew does grunt and groan in his sleep - sometimes it wakes him but more often he sleeps through it although his noises keep me bloomin awake! Hang in there babe.x.
    lolstephen - sorry to hear Ella is struggling again. Have you decided to give the osteopath a whirl now? x.
  • Options
    Hi bikerchick how you doing. i had 3 hours sleep last nightwhich isnt a lot but it was something!! daisy does what daisy wants and i think ifed her at 6.30 hoping to bath her at 9 and feed again at 9.30 well the little minx dropped off into a really deep sleep which is so unusual so we carried her up to bed inbasket and she slept till 2.45 so she went 8 hours till hernext feed with 6 hours sleep which was amazing but i still had the nightmare with her after that 3 0 clock feed. she seems zonco on my chest and i watched telly till 4.30 butas soon as i put her on her back in basket she started. so at five again i got up and got into spare bed with her layed her on her side and rubbed her back til 8.00 this morning. you see if i had a friend or mum round at 7am i would willingly let them take her!!!!!!!!!! Ah well god knows what will happen tonight.

Now babe i ummed and arred over buyingsome dentinox today ipicked it up 3 times and put it back again. she has been on infacol for six weeks now. but like you im reluctant to change now. i also nearly bought some farleys to try as hv recommended it, but how can a different kind of formula make wind any easier to come up!! can i ask you what formula mathew is on and how much does he weigh babe and what did he weigh at birth just as a matter of interest, and oh where does mathew sleep as i am going to have toget daisy out of that basket soon. hope your catching up on some zzzs while your mumis here have a good night to all you mummies xx love kel and daisy x
  • Options
    Hello guys,

Well - went to the osteopath on monday and been given a couple of techniques to use on ella to help with her bowels. Had her neck and spine checked out and all ok. She said that she doesn't need to see her again as the only thing she can do is the techniques she showed me. They do seem to help and calm her for a while anyway.

Decided that enough was enough and to try and see if it is lactose intolerence. Have been expressing milk and adding the lactase enzyme to it. Also introduced 2 lactose free sma formula feeds to her diet (one at lunchtime and one as last feed b4 bed). Had a great day today - still a little grumbly at times but think its the reflux and no crying at all and a sleepy baby. Also she has had a few bowel movements that are much more formed rather than watery and she doesn't squirm and go red.

Will keep you posted anyway and let you know if its a one off or if it definatly is working with the lactose free diet.
  • Options
    Hi all, just a quickie as off to have a kip as mum has taken Matthew out in the pushchair for a few hours.
    Matthew weighed 8lb 4oz at birth but was born at 37+4 (his own decision - my waters broke and away we went!) I was measuring large for dates and was predicted a 9 - 10lb-er if I went full term. He now weighs around 14lb. I started him off on normal Aptamil as I couldn't breastfeed and this apparently closest to breast milk. Because of his wind issues at around 2 weeks old we tried him on SMA for a couple of days (made him constipated) and Cow and Gate for a couple of days (no difference). We were then advised to try Aptamil Easy Digest. Its thicker and also has reduced lactose (which is what Colief is designed to do - break down the lactose to make it easier to digest) and we've stayed on it. Theres been no difference at all. We've tried all the Infacols and Gripe Waters of this world with no obvious difference. The only thing I haven't tried is changing bottles. I was advised on Dr Browns (I use Avent anti-colic), however the Avent teats have a valve in them which draws the air out of the teat and I can actually see it working every feed. So I can't see how Dr Browns would be any blooming different!
    Matthew sleeps in his cotbed. We started him off in the carrycot thingy that came with the travel system. At around 6ish weeks he was getting too big for it so we began putting him in the carrycot in his cotbed so he got used to his room etc. About a week later we then swaddled him in a fleecy sheet and began putting him direct into his cotbed and we've had not one problem with it. We do put a rolled up blanket either side of him so he feels as if hes still being held and cuddled and it works fine.
    Lolstephen - all I'd say hun is keep an eye on the "well formed poo" - Matthew had a couple of those before he got bunged up completely and very constipated. I was told that babies poo will remain like a paste and soft until they're weaned. I may be very wrong about this so someone please correct me - just speaking from experience thats all.

xx.

[Modified by: bikerchick on April 10, 2008 11:58 AM]
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks Bikerchick- will keep an eye out on the poo situation. Ella seems a bit more settled again today. Spoke to the pharmacist when collecting her gaviscon today and she was really supportive. She is the only one that has said that its worth a try with the formula and I've done really well for breastfeeding for 6 weeks already. Just feel that everyone is against me for trying to find out what wrong and cutting down on the breastfeeding.

Anyway Ella slept 12til 6am last night and again 7 til 10am this morning. Also she was in her own bed so I got a good cuddle with hubby which I've been missing.

Hear her waking up so better go.

• Options

How is everyone coping jack has got worst and its so upsetting. he is a really happy baby when he does get a break from the colic which is very rare it. breaks my heart to see him in so much pain.im sick of people telling me stop picking him up and let him cry i know that when he is free from that pain and it is painful for them i dnt care what the know it all hv say he is so sweet. also happy to lay on his changing mat or in his moses basket. tori XX