Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long does a fertility referral take to be seen for first appointment? (UK)

Replies

• Options
    @_Abby_ have you had your appointment yet? I had my first in Jan and then my 2nd is in April and Saturday there I had a mri of my pelvis done. Just needing to wait now on app for hsg. I asked about medication at my first app but he said we can discuss that at my next appointment. Good luck to you xx
  • Options
    Not yet, it's booked for next week though so I'm starting ro make a note of questions i want to ask etc.
    Its a telephone appointment, so im hoping they'll get some more tests done and meet with me again and won't just say they can't help me at all as it's secondary infertility and I already have a little girl! 
    Glad to hear your second appointment is booked already to review tests, will they review the MRI pelbis prior to your next appointment, or will they discuss that then too, did they say? 
    Good luck in the meantime, I hope we both just get lucky naturally whilst we wait! Xxx
  • Options
    @_Abby_ hey I'm hoping they phone with results if there's anything there before april. Gonna fone tomoro and ask if I'm likely to get hsg done before April too. Yea I have a little girl too who is 8 so I'm really hoping it happens soon. I'm now in month 19. I asked about medication on my first app they said we can discuss at 2nd app. A wee tip, be cool about it all as if they see your anxious they will blame that! I went In cool as a cucumber and didn't get upset or show I was worried or stressed. I have to stop taking ovulation tests and have to bd from day 10 to 16. I just want to know if this mri shows anything and get the tubes flushed to see if anything is stuck and hopefully its just something minor holding us back!! Let me know how u get on xx
  • Options
    @Lauren1409 thanks for the tips I will be cool and factual and list my questions.
    Quick question, did they tell you to BD day 10 -16 everday then? I was actually told it can effect sperm quality so only to BD every 2-3 days, weve been sticking to evrry other day from day 8 - 18 and then dropping to every 3 days to try reduce the pressure.
    This month I'm trying not to track and I'm headed towards aunt flow date (i think) I'm not checking her actual due date,so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but as month 15 I'm not holding out too much hope xxx 
  • Options
    @_Abby_ yea he said about 3 days a week so I think as long as we get a few in from day 10 to 16. Yea I still have an app on my phone. I only have it to remind me what day im on. I'm due Thurs. Had to abstain this time around as I had the mri xx
  • Options
    @Lauren1409 the apps are good,but i found its been making me obsessed, last month after the usual disappointment of another failed month i decided to only log BD and not look at the due on etc. My periods are a bit unreliable at the moment and they never have been before so I don't want to waste a test again by testing before AF arrives a week late!
    I'm due on this week at some point, but trying not to think about it too much!
    Abstaining must have been difficult as feels counter productive in a way! Xxx
  • Options
    @_Abby_I have foned today to ask about a hsg as I'm due on Thursday and I want them to know when I have a period so they can book me in! 
  • Options
    Ugh, the department that does it is closed due to COVID. So il be waiting on that reopening! Also, af hit me 2 days early this month. Only ever early by a day and that's only every so often! 
  • Options
    @Lauren1409 oh no, did they have an idea of time until they reopen, lockdown will hopefully end soon and allow it to reopen.
    Aunt flo arrived today for me and I am upset...i was secretly really hopeful as of yesterday as i had a day of dizziness, having never been dizzy before....and i thought hmmm I am due on and could it be an early sign. But alas not this time 😔. Xxx
  • Options
    @_Abby_ ach bugger! Sorry af came. Looks like we are going to be on the same journey together though in terms of cycles! They said a few weeks but I think it won't be that and will be longer! Just before my period arrived on Tuesday night my friend said she was pregnant. They don't know of my struggle as one just had a baby and whne pregnant didn't want to be like here is my shit knees in the back of all the baby updates and messages and now another is pregnant so itl be the same. All joy and happiness and me feeling I can't say anything! 
  • Options
    @Lauren1409 i feel exactly like this. A friend of me got pregnamat without trying...and now she won't stop moaning about feeling sick all the time...worse part is she does know I'm trying for a 2nd and having some issues.  I've decided not to share more of my journey with her unless she specifically asks and i ignore her msgs when shes moaning about morning sickness and tiredness etc.  But i have other friends who have had babys since weve been trying and they don't know of my problems as i like you can't bring myself to tell them and make them feel bad about my situation....its so lonely.  And in fairness men can be supportive (My OH is fab) but it's not quite the same when the failure is mine each month.  It's nice to know there's someone else going through it too ❤ hopefully that in itself will give us both sime extra support as needed xxx
  • Options
    _Abby_ said:
    @Lauren1409 i feel exactly like this. A friend of me got pregnamat without trying...and now she won't stop moaning about feeling sick all the time...worse part is she does know I'm trying for a 2nd and having some issues.  I've decided not to share more of my journey with her unless she specifically asks and i ignore her msgs when shes moaning about morning sickness and tiredness etc.  But i have other friends who have had babys since weve been trying and they don't know of my problems as i like you can't bring myself to tell them and make them feel bad about my situation....its so lonely.  And in fairness men can be supportive (My OH is fab) but it's not quite the same when the failure is mine each month.  It's nice to know there's someone else going through it too ❤ hopefully that in itself will give us both sime extra support as needed xxx
    I completely understand you. Sometimes people don't get how hurtful these comments can be when you are trying to get pregnant and, frankly, feeling sick for this reason sounds like a dream to me right now. Many women actually stop seeing some of their friends for a period, simply because they can't cope with these comments. It's really understandable and it makes it even worse because you cannot really explain how you feel and you might be feeling like a bad person for even thinking about this. Hang in there! 
  • Options
    I like the support I am getting with this forum. Thank u all so much. How is everyone doing? X
  • Options
    @Lauren1409 i love this forum...i feel like i can really be honest here.
    I have my questions at the ready for my wednesday call withthe fertility team!
    Hope everyone reading is also finding this a helpful thread too.
    I will let you know what my appointment results in, I've already been doing some research on private clinics and IVF, to try and prepare myself as my GP was quite blunt about the lack of NHS support, so I want to be prepared for anything! Xx

• Options
    @_Abby_ let me know how it goes. I'm hoping I hear next week my mri results as that will be 2 weeks since I had. First thing they told me was ivf was ruled out as we have a child together but hopefully things resolve before I think about private. Defos will need to save! 
  • Options
    @Lauren1409 Will do....I'm muddled with my week...the appointment is actually on Thursday! 😅 glad i wrote it down and on my phone, calendar and diary!!
    Yes they'd definitly have had chance to review the MRI by then I'm sure, chase them if you don't hear...will the fertility team ring you to discuss do you think, or do u ring them? Xx
  • Options
    Haha that's an appointment you don't want to miss. I would ring if I were you, but then again I'm a super control freak!  :p
  • Options
    Oh I'm not sure. I think if the results are crap it will say to ring and make appointment x
  • Options
    Yes you're probably right I think. 
    No definitly glad I double checked it,no idea where I got Wednesday from...it's Thursday on everything! Xxx
  • Options
    @_Abby_ let me know how u get on. I actually think I may have ovulated earlier this month as had the flutters right after my period and some during that felt like my normal o pain. and had some ewcm! Very early! Maybe I have been early all along 🤔😂