Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Replies

• Options
    When my little girl was 3 , her favourite thing to eat with a roast chicken dinner was ‘Awkward Puddings’!
  • Options
    My favourite dinner memory is very new my 28 year old son is Autistic & recently moved into his own home for Independent living he has always been scared to cook & lived on ready meals.On Sunday he sent me a photo of a full Chicken Sunday lunch with a heap of Aunt Bessies roast potatoes & Yorkshires puds it looked yummy!
  • Options
    I remember coming home from college and looking forward to my mum's roast dinner. She cooked roast lamb just right and made her own mint sauce too. My dad was quite "victorian" in his parenting ideas and the family sitting together on Sundays was one of his rules. good job that mum was a good cook who made the most amazing apple pie for pudding too.
  • Options
    all roast dinners are special when eaten with the ones u LOVE
  • Options
    When I bought my first house in 2012 I had my grandparents round for Sunday dinner. There was my Grandad, Grandma, Nana, Grandpa and Great Aunt.
    Sitting round my table was a total age of 461. It blew my mind thinking about it! I've since lost my Grandpa and Grandma but it's a memory that I will treasure forever!
  • Options
    My favourite Roast dinner memory is of my 80 year old Grandad , he would make roast dinners for all the lonely widowed ladies in his block of flats and before we all sat down to eat he would ask us children to drop off a roast dinner to them then we would all sit down to ours it gives me now such fond memory’s of what a special man he was x
  • Options
    My favourite roast dinner memory is when grandma invited everybody to Sunday lunch, with a huge homemade lemon meringue pie for pudding. She served up the pud, with it's crunchy topping from a sprinkling of sugar... and we soon realised the sprinkle was salt instead of sugar! It was horrid, but it did make us laugh, and we laughed with her about the mistake for many years to come. 

Its special to me because lemon meringue pie is my favourite,  and reminds me of my lovely grandma. 
  • Options
    My favourite memory is probably the first time my little girl ate an aunt Bessies Yorkshire pudding for the first time, & seeing her little cheeks fill up with more pudding & gravy! She now loves her puddings with a bit of melted cheese, I will forever cherish that little image of her enjoying that little yorkie pud for the first time. - another memory is having my mum & sister making us the best ever roast dinner over Xmas & me not having to cook but only, babysit my nieces so that dinner gets served on time. 🤭 thank you for the opportunity. Xx
  • Options
    My mum used to make fantastic Yorkshire puddings. They were always HUGE, and so light and fluffy on the inside, yet crispy on the outside. If there were any left over at the end of the meal, we used to eat them with golden syrup for dessert.
    My Yorkshires are absolutely terrible in comparison, which is why I am so grateful for aunt Bessie’s help!
  • Options
    My granny's roast dinners were the best but these days my chicken dinners are the best I love chicken would love to win the amazon voucher merry Christmas everyone ⛄🎅🎄
  • Options
    My favourite roast dinner memory so when my sister and I challenged my mum to make the highest and biggest Yorkshire puddings she could. I not sure what magic she put in the mix (probably an extra egg and baking powder) but they were MASSIVE I remember peering through the over door in excitement thinking they were going to explode out of the oven. I use aunt Bessie’s as my yorkies always turn out like pancakes! Haha 
  • Options
    We usually carved the turkey at the table, but one Christmas while the turkey was resting, our cat got into the kitchen! We had to cut the top of where it had scratched, and cut slices onto each plate. None of the family ever knew until the next Christmas when we were again able to take the turkey to the table for carving.
  • Options
    It wasn't a stand out day when my eldest son told me he was in love with a 'dream girl', and going to get married. We were eating a lovely roast dinner one sunday, it was his favourite and I nearly dropped my Aunt Bessies when he blurted out how he was going to get married to her and have 'lots of babies and kids'. 
    My son was 6. 
    The reason this lovely memory sticks in my mind is because that same boy is still with his 'dream girl' and they are both now 21 and engaged! lol 
    His younger brothers and sisters cannot wait for the wedding, and every time I make a roast dinner I remember his sweet words! x This is my boy age 9 with his baby sister! x 
  • Options
    Many years ago, I was to make my first Sunday lunch for my partner, he went to the local Workingmens Club, as men did back then. I wasn't sure how many Yorkshire Puddings he liked on his plate.

Luckily, his mother lived directly opposite, so I went across to ask her, no mobile phones back then either to ring him.

She asked me "How many pudding trays do you have?"
    I replied "Two trays of twelve small ones, and one tray of four large ones"
    She then said "Do them all"

I was speechless, was only only cooking for the two of us!

When he came home, I placed two plates in front of him, one with his meat and vegetables, the other, piled high with all the Yorkshire puddings and lashings of gravy!! He ate the lot!! Though I did manage to put two puddings on my plate.

He went on to become my husband, and now have two beautiful grown up daughters.

Think he only married me for the Yorkshire Puddings!!

• Options
    My best memory took place sixty years ago.  It was the first time I hosted the family Christmas dinner.  Recently moved into our first home, I was proud to use my new kitchen and cook for my husband and small daughter, both parents, his mother, two widowed aunts, one  brother with his wife and the other with his girlfriend.  My extending G-plan table seated twelve so we had plenty of room!
    Several of them have passed on, got divorced or moved to live abroad now.  I'm 85 and this year will be spending Christmas day alone, as I daren't visit my daughter, grandchildren and great-grandson  200 miles away for fear of getting, or spreading, this damned Covid virus  What a contrast with the happy times of Christmas Past!  
  • Options
    Last November while my dad was on end of life care and while i went to visit hime on the Sunday my nana made me one of her lovely dinners and brought it up for me to have so i didnt have to leave my dads bed side and i got to enjoy it while he didnt which he always bragged about when he went to hers every sunday. Its a day i will never forget. 
  • Options
    The first Christmas dinner with my boyfriend at my parents with all the family. We ALWAYS have Yorkshire puddings with our Christmas dinner, even though it’s not traditional, both roast and mashed potatoes, and we ALWAYS have my mums homemade mushy peas that she starts soaking the day before! I think he thinks we are a little mad! Lots of laughs, good times and food. We may be unconventional in our choices, but always the best dinners and Aunt Bessies are great as it takes the pressure off cooking the perfect roast! 
  • Options
    We didn’t have much when I was a child, but Mum always pushed the boat out in a Sunday. As her only daughter, I used to sit with her in the kitchen whilst the roast was in the oven and we’d sing country music songs together. My ‘contribution’ to the dinner was stirring the gravy in the saucepan so it didn’t get lumpy. I was always so proud of my lump free gravy and used to insist the rest of the family knew it was me that made it. I was only 6 or 7. Happy times. Mum passed away when I was 11 so they’re treasured memories now. 
  • Options
    Think our best (for the giggles it caused) roast dinner was when we decided to use a rather large frozen chicken for Sunday dinner.  My husband got the chicken out of the freezer and put it on a plate to put on top of the cooker to defrost (on top of the eye level grill we had at the time). As he lifted up the plate the chicken slipped off and hit his big toe! It looked quite nasty so i called his brother to take him to A&E to get it checked.  At A&E the staff had quite a laugh at his predicament (as had his brother and I). One doctor did say though that a lady had come in a few days before after dropping an even larger frozen turkey on her foot who then required quite intensive surgery to rebuild her foot!!  Even today the very thought of the event can raise a smile!
  • Options
    My favourite roast dinner memory is my Mum roasting a turkey for Christmas and cooking it upside down! It was back in the 70's and we gave her loads of stick about it. We were watching a cookery programme a few years ago where they suggested cooking it that way as it keeps the breast moist so for the last few years she has told us she was a trailblazer for cooking turkey! It makes us laugh every Christmas when it always gets mentioned
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions