Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone refused induction

Replies

• Options
    Mich, my views are bang on the same as yours, but you probably realise that given the mention above. I actually only ended up going 11 days past EDD and I went into spontaneous labour - after 2 sweeps (the 2nd being the day before). I just wanted to ask whether your hospital has booked you in to the Prolonged Pregnancy Clinic (presuming they have one?) Although I had a planned homebirth, I still went to the hospital the whole way through for all my appointments. I went to the PPC in my 40th and they did some monitoring and took measurements (blood flow and oxygen through the placenta and to the baby's brain) which gave a report of any risks (none found) and the % likelihood of me going into spontaneous labour in the next 7-10 days. I was return for another assessment in my 41st week but went into labour before my appt. The assessment results help you to make an informed decision. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the PPC to find that they respected my decision of not wanting to be induced providing everything was still ok, which it was. You, like me, would not compromise the health of yourself or your baby, I can see that. And you are also aware of the possible risks of going over 42 weeks - as well as the risks of being induced (which Fairythalia outlined quite well!). So all I can suggest is take each day one at a time and if you get to the 42wks see what the monitoring/measurements suggest and weigh it up then.
    Just to add, my son was born weighing 7lb 13oz (average) with agpar of 9 at 1 min then 10 at 5 mins, and the condition of my placenta was, in my mw's words "perfect and so healthy looking, so good you could have gone on for another week if need be, and keep that in mind for next time."

My mum went 3wks over with me, and also my 3 siblings. Your mum or sisters, if you have any, are good indicators for you (my mw told me). Also, different hospitals have different cut off dates for when they suggest induction should take place. Further to this, different countries do too... I think it was France that considers full term to be up to 43 weeks.

I really hope you get still your waterbirth and your bubba decides to make a timely entrance very soon! All the best for your birth.
    x
  • Options
    Sim75- thanks so much for the advice- after reading Mrs Setters post yesterday I went and had a look at some of your old topics and found it really helpful!!! I'm definately going to remain open minded!! my mw hasnt mentioned a prolonged pregnancy clinic but to be honest she's not particuarly forthcoming about anything and sat there telling me the risks of interventions (she promotes natural births) before going on to say about how they'd book me in for an induction for 42 weeks and only a mention of one sweep??

WannaBump- just to add I think the only reason they dont offer a second sweep or anything is because they only have a clinic once a week- I do genuinely feel that if my mw or consultant gave me advice in MY best interests then I would heed that but I'm not keen on the "one size fits all" mentality I feel is delivered by my surgery. I appreciate your feedback and perhaps I was expecting (hoping for ) opinions from people who'd been in the same position. Without meaning to be patronizing (and this may not be true for all women) but imagine the hormones you get with PMT and quadruple them and then add fear and uncertainty into the mix and I think you'll understand why I reacted to your post the way I did. I appreciate you taking the time to reply tho- can I ask do you see problems in special care as a result of inductions??
  • Options
    Giving Birth is a huge risk FULL STOP. It can go wrong at any stage as i have unfortunately seen with friends and family.

Mich i was also going to try and refuse induction if it came to it, induction has always been my worst nightmare! Do you have the home and health channel? There are lots of American programs about birth on there and induction refusal comes up quite a lot and i have never seen one go wrong yet (not that it doesn't but it can go wrong at any gestation!)

I hope you get the birth you want, but do try and keep an open mind... once baby is here it honestly doesn't seem relevant any more. I wanted a water birth and was even cruely put in the water pool room :lol: but ds was in distress (cord around his neck) so i had to be constantly monitored but it all thankfully happened quickly anyway and i honestly didn't care once he was placed on my chest safe and sound.

Good luck xx
  • Options
    I am not a Mummy

This is rather patently obvious from your OTT scaremongering. Pregnant women don't want to hear about baby funerals. Have some sensitivity - you are not talking to your fellow HCP's, you are talking to hormonal, sometimes uneasy, sometimes paranoid pregnant ladies and I think any valid points you might have had were lost in your heavyhanded delivery of your opinion.

Mich, it's about weighing up risks and making the decision that is right for you and your baby. Going beyond term has it's risks, induction has risks. Investigate them all, ask questions and don't be fobbed off. For any recommended procudure, ask "What are the risks, what are the benefits, why do you think I need this?". Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks Mrs No Name- althought the waterbirth is ideal I no that might not happen and I'm completely open minded to the other possibilities etc- unfortunately I have a mw who is so pro natural (she did our antenatal class) she has basically frightened the life out of me regarding interventions and basically said in her experiance pretty much one leads to another to another.....................and that lying down is a horrendous position to be in because of xyz!!!

• Options
    thanks Mrs Setters x
  • Options
    Mrs Setters, I am sure you didnt mean that the way it sounded but it was very cruel for you to say that, I am sure you remember ttc and how stressful it can be that could be such a hurtful thing for wanna-bump.
  • Options
    really dont want to cause an argument here but do you not think it was a lack of sensitivity in the first instance that caused that response?? I know it wasnt worded as such but I've basically been told that any ideas I have of prolonging my pregnancy/having a water birth are highly likely to lead to me harming my baby- I dont think it was necessary to mention the recent funeral of a baby on this thread. Its one thing to highlight risks objectively another to bring up funerals and death etc
  • Options
    Mrs Setters, I am sure you didnt mean that the way it sounded but it was very cruel for you to say that, I am sure you remember ttc and how stressful it can be that could be such a hurtful thing for wanna-bump.

Was it? Oh well. Maybe best not stamp around telling scared pregnant women about dead babies then, eh? It makes me ascerbic.
  • Options
    just wanted to ask why ur sweep can not be done at home? when i had ds the offer two sweeps and u could have this done in clinic or at home on a non clinic day (otehr wise it would be difficult for anyone to get two sweeps in if its only open once a week and here the like to induce at +10) so if u ask ur mw u could have ur second sweep just ahve it done at home....induction doesn't necessarily mean that u'll be monitoed conitously, if they use the gels or pessary then they'll just monitor u regularly, its only once they use the drip (which they very rarely use as a starting point) that u need continous monitoring, but u can opt ofr miobile monioring (the little clips that go one babies head) which shoudl give u more mobility and u might find that if ur already 10+ days over then one gel might do the job...personally i'm trying for vbac this time round, and because of my own induction experience with ds ( coupled with the fact i've had a previous c sec) means that i won't be able to (or willing) to have the drip anyway, but i will be going as far over as they let me (usually with vbac they tend to only let u go to +7 and then do c sec) but i'll be going (hopefully) til +10 then see if i'm looking at all like i'm favourable etc and then perhaps ahve a couple of gels, if the gels don't work hwoever i will then be having a section as they won't use the drip due to scar rupture, but knowing how long an induction can take (wednesday they started gels, saturday he was born by em c sec) i would be v hesitant in waiting til 40+14 as if same scenario were to happen that would mean would be much nearer 43weeks which in my own personal opinion is pushing it a bit too much, plus if u go into labour spontaeously after 42weeks u'll no longer be treated as low risk in mmost hospitals anyway so water birth etc would be out, and u would likely require more continous monitoring anyway because u'ld be 42+

its entirely ur decision and u can only really make a decision based upon urs and baby's health when u reach 42weeks, if ur then deemed safe to continue and thats what u really want then go ahead, and obviosuly if its discovered that perhaps baby is better off outside of the womb at that point then obviosuly u'll do whats best for baby...anything can happen in the next two weeks so for now just go with the flow and see what happens, fingers crossed u'll go naturally before then anyway.

oh just wanted to add, incidently i was kept flat on my back once the synotcin was in (i was mobile while jsut having gels-even wlaking the entire length and breadth of the hospital), and wasn't mobile in the slightest but that was because as soon as i moved from laying the monitor would lose the trace, at one point they let me turn on my side but only on the condition that OH held the monitor in place, if u have the head clips then this is less likely to happen as it won't lose the trace, iyswim?

xx
  • Options
    Maybe she could have worded things better but really Mrs Setters do you think that you are any better by saying it was blantaly obivious that she wasn't a mother?
  • Options
    My experience is completely different from most of you. I was induced with my first at 34+5 and I do regret it. I did not get the birth I wanted.

My waters broke early and they kept me in hospital on antibiotics and such. After a few days I got a scan which showed a perfect little boy, head down, and to our surprise an above average amount of water around him. Not that far over average, but far more than expected for someone who has been loosing loads over the last 4 days.

I thought they would let me get on with things, seeing that baby was happy, his heartbeat was regularly checked and was always ok, my bp was ok, and yes I had a uti, but was on a course of antibiotics for it. But the next day two of them came into the room and told me I would be induced within 48 hours. I had no choice about it, they where worried.

Next time I know I will refuse the induction if I get into the same situation. When I was induced I was already dialating on my own and even though I had no regularly contractions. He was pushing down and in my opinion it wouldn't have taken long for me to go into labour shortly. (at that time I did not know it) My boy was born without any problems and he only developed jaundice a few days after.

After saying that, I will not refuse an induction at 42 weeks. I would refuse it at 41 weeks or 40 weeks, but when I would get to 42 weeks I would accept inductions. My experience with inductions wasn't as bad and even though it was painfull and difficult, it wasn't as bad. And I would not try to avoid it again. I trust the health professions and I would follow their advice. (unless in the same situation as above)
  • Options
    Some good replies and shared experiences! :\) It's really made me determined to be left alone until at least 42 weeks From 42 weeks+ I'll opt for monitiring and take each day as it comes.

Loving reading the 42+ baby stories though. Did you look at some on that home birth web site link I sent? There is a phot of one baby (I think it is the Naomi W story) and the baby is so cute and juicy! :lol:

At the end of the day the question was:

Anyone refused induction

Not

What is your opinion on refusing induction

I'd love to read more from those who said NO! image xxx
  • Options
    QUOTE:
    This is rather patently obvious from your OTT scaremongering. Pregnant women don't want to hear about baby funerals. Have some sensitivity - you are not talking to your fellow HCP's, you are talking to hormonal, sometimes uneasy, sometimes paranoid pregnant ladies and I think any valid points you might have had were lost in your heavyhanded delivery of your opinion.

as usual mrs setter you jump on and start bullying someone!!! do u know what NO pregnant women might not want to hear about babies funerals and things going wrong but its life these things happen and although im sure wannababy could have put some positive views im sure she didnt mean to frighten mich just give her the facts ....im sorry but i didnt want to hear about still born babies when i was pg with ds but unfortunatly it happened to someone i know and i had to deal with it and do u know something else i learnt to moniter my babies movements from that!!! At the end of the day wannababy was simply giving facts of what CAN not WILL happen and as mums or mums to be we should have both sides of a story to make our choice!!!
  • Options
    In answer to the OT I fortunately didn't need an induction.

But I feel the need to add that I really hope wannababy doesn't feel pushed to leave BE, as I know how fan and supportive I've found this site and all the BE girls. As a nurse myself with a background in fertility and early
    pregnancy I choose not post any hcp opinions, however if I felt that something I have
    experienced was important to share with someone on here as it had had an impact on a decision or choice I might make myself, I would do just that, which is exactly what I think she has done x
  • Options

Wanna-bump- I know from reading your response that you didn't mean to come across as negative or to scare anyone. But, I can totally understand why it could have been interpreted it in that way. Mich would never put her baby in danger-she was merely asking about the refuesal of induction IF everything was going well with her and baby.

I find it really suprising that as a neonatal nurse you have never come across a baby suffering badly as a reaction to induction. My son was one of these babies and I do regret being induced. I was suffering with high blood pressure and my consultant decided that I shouldn't go beyond 38 weeks. As it turned out when I hit 38 weeks my bp was stable but I let them go ahead with induction simply because it was planned. I had a long labour and I honestly believe my body wasn't ready-i had an emergency c-section and ds was born with breathing difficulties and had to spend time in SCBU. I have no doubt that induction is extremely necessary in many cases- however it is really forcing our bodies to do something they aren't entirely ready for and I can understand why that can cause longer labours and more intervention. Many people have very positive stories of induction, i think it is different for everyone.

I am not saying this to scare anyone the other way either-what I am saying is that there are worst case seniros in every situation and although obviously we should always follow the advice of HCP's-they aren't super human and often following 'guidlines' and not looking at peoples individual circumstances and situations. When I had my birth debriefing after having my son the consultant I spoke to then told me he would never have induced me at 38 weeks because everything was stable...this just goes to show-different HCP's different opinions. We are allowed to use or own judgements and follow our own beliefs as well , after all it is our bodies and our babies.

Mich-you know I love you;\) and I am pretty sure you won't even need to work out what you should do with regards to induction, I am sure mini Mich is just waiting to make an apperance as we speak! image

xxxxx
  • Options
    The thing is once your baby is here you won't care less how he/she got here you'll just be so happy they're safe and well and so are you. Personally I would do whatever has less risk, besides you got pregnant to have a baby not give birth I'm sure and the babys safety is I'm sure at the front of all your decisions, just try not to get too hung up on the birth, it really won't matter afterwards!!!
  • Options
    Going off on a tangent slightly, I just have to disagree with everyone who has said 'it won't matter afterwards how your baby got here'. For me, the birth not being what I wanted to be has affected me profoundly and affected how I felt about my baby for a long time. A woman should have the right (with the right advice and support from medical professionals) to have the birth she desires, and that will be the most natural and comfortable for her and the baby. The birth DOES matter, in my opinion. (By the way, I had an induction, with drip, and couldn't move an inch from the bed - and it was my idea of hell - I have to be honest.)
  • Options
    thanks to everyone for their responses and for the links Fairythalia they were fab and little wolf thanks for sharing your experiance!! and Charlie-chalk love u 2 lol image!!

Wow-Baby you asked why I couldnt have a sweep at home- I didnt even know this may be an option so could definately be something I can bring up with my midwife!! I sincerely hope I can come back in the near future with a positive outcome whichever way it goes image x
  • Options
    The thing is once your baby is here you won't care less how he/she got here you'll just be so happy they're safe and well and so are you. Personally I would do whatever has less risk, besides you got pregnant to have a baby not give birth I'm sure and the babys safety is I'm sure at the front of all your decisions, just try not to get too hung up on the birth, it really won't matter afterwards!!!

I couldn't agree more.

In answer to the original question though, no I didn't refuse induction. I was induced at 41+5 but ended up giving birth by emergency c-section.

Good luck with your birth whatever happens michmummy2B

xx