Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

weaning baby from breast to bottle???

hey, (also posted in BIJuly and Breastfeeding chats)

due to the HV's all promoting breast feeding i am finding it hard to get advice on how to do combine feeding. I am hoping to wean my DS onto bottles by 6 months so am starting slowly now, he is on 3 bottles a day and the rest of the feeds are from me at the moment.

My question is... he is in no pattern at all with feeds - should I now try to 'make him' get into a feeding pattern, or just go with him and feed on demand as i did with breast feeding???

It's tricky as on one day he'll have a bottle at say 11am, then the next day he's hungry at 9am so then my boobs have no idea when he'll be needing food... is this a problem or will my body just get used to it???

I am finding it all a bit mind boggling... any tips/advice on weaning baby from breast to bottle very welcome.

xx

Replies

• Options
    I'm not so sure on the combining aspect of it, because my DS didn't have formula til 9 months, but I know from exclusively BF on demand, that we had no regular pattern of feeds til we had 3 meals solids established. Before that it was just random. gaps were 45mins-3.5hrs between feeds. Doesn't really answer your question tho, sorry!