Forum home Birth clubs Due in March 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in March 2020

1454647484951»

Replies

• Options
    I’m very lucky with my MIL, she’s very tactful and would ask if we needed something before investing. This time round the only thing I need is a baby bath seat and a double pram. The bath seat needs to be got sooner rather than later but the pushchair can wait as baby will be in a sling for the first few months and I have 4 (!!!!) different ones of those! Nappies wise I use reusables, I have neutral baby clothes up until 3 months from my last pregnancy and a next to me cot under the bed left over. I’m very lucky and I suppose that’s a good thing about having them so close together! 

So, housing wise I’m looking into a shared ownership scheme. Anybody have or know anything about them? Think I can get it done before baby comes in March?! Help!!!! Totally out of my depth!
  • Options
    I’m also very lucky with my mother in law. I used to have an estranged relationship with my own mum untill the last two years whilst she has been divorcing her husband, he hated kids and so she was never really around when my two were babies so my mother in law has been like a mother to me and she will always ask what we want and make sure she gets it for us, I honestly have wonderful in-laws and I count my blessings. We still haven’t bought anything so need most of the basics other than Iv got all my kids old baby clothes that amazingly have lasted all these years still which is great. 

@KMH27 have you got a mortgage advisor, I recommend a private one that can help you look into it. We moved a year ago into our first house and I’m just so happy to have a place I can call my own. When we initially met with him he told us to avoid shared ownership like the plague as although it seems very good in reality it’s very very hard to get out of as trying to sell if you need too is not easy to sell just a share of a property. You all have to get permission to do anything to the property like paint, change fittings etc. I would be very wary of the idea as it’s always to good to be true. X
  • Options
    @KMH27 I would book a free consultation with a mortgage advisor either at your bank or elsewhere and lay it on the table to see what options you have and he can give you all the info about SO schemes. Ideally your husband would declare his income as otherwise you'll be only looking to take out a mortgage on yours alone. We looked into SO ourselves but opted for the help to buy scheme instead where you purchase a new build and put down 5% and the government put down 20%. What's the chances of you getting on the housing association list? In most areas they're building new build estates with a proportion for SO and housing authority rentals. With you expecting a child soon and having a child already I'm thinking you should be prioritised? 
  • Options
    Kinny90 said:
    @KMH27 I would book a free consultation with a mortgage advisor either at your bank or elsewhere and lay it on the table to see what options you have and he can give you all the info about SO schemes. Ideally your husband would declare his income as otherwise you'll be only looking to take out a mortgage on yours alone. We looked into SO ourselves but opted for the help to buy scheme instead where you purchase a new build and put down 5% and the government put down 20%. What's the chances of you getting on the housing association list? In most areas they're building new build estates with a proportion for SO and housing authority rentals. With you expecting a child soon and having a child already I'm thinking you should be prioritised? 
    I wish it was that simple for me. My husband does not get a wage from the farm. He is neither employed nor self employed, it’s been like that for nearly 10 years. I am well aware of the dangers involved in this but if he doesn’t do anything about it, how can I? Because of this I cannot claim help from the government because it would mean everything about his financial situation would be scrutinised and he would end up in trouble I dare say. It has been purely my wage that has been coming into our household. My husband gets cash every now and again but it’s obviously not declares. I’m ashamed that this is the state of our affairs and this is why my mental health is really not very good right now. 
    The shared owenership is done on my income, it doesn’t take his into account. Hence why this is pretty much my only option. Desperate times desperate actions..... particularly because their is a chance my husband will tell me he doesn’t support me. 
  • Options
    Post withdrawn
  • Options
    @KMH27 I understand, and of course you want to avoid the situation where he comes under scrutiny.  Still take a look at either shared ownership with your wage alone or other schemes out there which you could be eligible for such as affordable rent schemes. Sorry you're going through such a tough time. Hopefully you're husband keeps up the support but if he doesn't it's nice that you know your options and can do this for yourself and your childrens sake xx
  • Options
    Hey everyone, we've just noticed this thread has hit the 1k post limit, so we've kicked you off a new one. 
    Please head on over to the continuation thread here and we'll close this thread later on. 
  • Options
    Closing this thread now. Continuation thread here 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions