Your decision to be induced

Did you have an induction? Were you for or against it? Did you push for induction?

I'm really keen to get an insight in to others' decisions to go for induction. Frame of mind, factors to weigh up, potential risks etc.

I'm on the fence at the moment, about being induced 1 week over (although only 5 days over per our dates), and would like to hear how others approached their situation, if possible :)

«1

Posts

  • The hospital told me I should be induced, I agreed due to it being the advice if medical staff who know far more about obstetrics than I do.

  • I was induced with P. My body never responded by getting the hint though and it was purely the medications bringing the contractions on.  I had an emergency Caesarian section in the end. With S I was to have a planned section. My waters went early though bit still never a natural contraction. I had stated I didn't want an induction again as I feel I was one of those who never had labour start naturally and for me I felt there was a reason for that. After my waters went at 34+4 with S, still nothing else. I went on to try an induction again as my waters had naturally gone so maybe my body was trying. I had a failed induction and a further section.  As soon as the decision was made to go for the section and the induction drugs via drip turned off, my contractions totally stopped.

     I would refuse induction and opt for section purely on my own experiences as even being induced my dodgy doesn't seem to want to labour and give birth naturally. Didn't you have your first by induction? If it has worked for you in the past I would have faith it would again. If you want to refuse induction a few ladies from here have and I hope they come along to talk to you. I understand not wanting induction do you can have a home birth. Your first experience with H sounds to have been a positive one and his size didn't cause problem. I think I would hesitate at lease to go overdue with a large baby, refuse induction and want a home birth though!

  • Inductions have been heaven and hell for me. I'm in the process of writing my birth story which details everything but I'll give brief overview.

    My first birth, I was advised to induce as baby was tiny and unwell. I had a placental abrubtion nine hours in and my daughter was stillborn. This was totally unrelated to the induction, I had severe PE.

    With my second birth, I was closely monitored by the obstetric team and a decision was made for me to be induced at 37 weeks. I was induced at 10:00am and had a very straight forward labour with A being born at 8:38pm.

    My second induction completely erased my feelings that induction is the worst thing in the world. My body responded so well to induction, both times to be fair. I know a lot of ladies for which it hadn't been that way but maybe you could speak to the team about the intervention plan during your induction as that's the only reason I didn't fight it the second time around.  My obstetrician agreed that they would give me 12 hours after the gel was inserted to deliver and that they would do a section if nothing was happening. Also intervene at any time with section if either me or baby became anxious during induction...

    Hope that's helpful.

    X

  • I had an induction although it was a bit different as it was due to my waters breaking but having no contractions. I was worried about infection if baby was not delivered so was happy to agree to induction. I had a pessary inserted and he was born 6 hours later, so it was successful and no need for a drip thankfully.

    Is it size meaning they want to induce you at 1 week over? I was under the impression they normally don't induce until 2 weeks over. Just being nosy now, but is it purely because Harry was big or have scans indicated another big baby?

  • The Red Fraggle

    The hospital told me I should be induced, I agreed due to it being the advice if medical staff who know far more about obstetrics than I do.

    RF - were you very overdue, or did you have a condition or other factor that affected you, or something else?

  • Que sera

    I was induced with P. My body never responded by getting the hint though and it was purely the medications bringing the contractions on.  I had an emergency Caesarian section in the end. With S I was to have a planned section. My waters went early though bit still never a natural contraction. I had stated I didn't want an induction again as I feel I was one of those who never had labour start naturally and for me I felt there was a reason for that. After my waters went at 34+4 with S, still nothing else. I went on to try an induction again as my waters had naturally gone so maybe my body was trying. I had a failed induction and a further section.  As soon as the decision was made to go for the section and the induction drugs via drip turned off, my contractions totally stopped.

     I would refuse induction and opt for section purely on my own experiences as even being induced my dodgy doesn't seem to want to labour and give birth naturally.

    That must be hard to go from induction to CS, was it for over dates with P? Can totally see why you would opt for CS in future. I would in your shoes, of your body won't play ball then putting yourself (and baby) through that just makes no sense when you know what will probably be the outcome.

  • RayeRaye

    Inductions have been heaven and hell for me. I'm in the process of writing my birth story which details everything but I'll give brief overview.

    My first birth, I was advised to induce as baby was tiny and unwell. I had a placental abrubtion nine hours in and my daughter was stillborn. This was totally unrelated to the induction, I had severe PE.

    With my second birth, I was closely monitored by the obstetric team and a decision was made for me to be induced at 37 weeks. I was induced at 10:00am and had a very straight forward labour with A being born at 8:38pm.

    My second induction completely erased my feelings that induction is the worst thing in the world. My body responded so well to induction, both times to be fair. I know a lot of ladies for which it hadn't been that way but maybe you could speak to the team about the intervention plan during your induction as that's the only reason I didn't fight it the second time around.  My obstetrician agreed that they would give me 12 hours after the gel was inserted to deliver and that they would do a section if nothing was happening. Also intervene at any time with section if either me or baby became anxious during induction...

    Hope that's helpful.

    X

    Oh Rayeraye, thanks for replying. I knew you had lost your baby girl, and you had PE, but I don't think I had realised you were induced. That must have been a tough position, to go in to induction again but you put is so well in terms of how it worked for you. Like you, my body responded well to induction, so when I read all the risks and talked to the consultant about them. I confess I find it hard to fully grasp that it can be an awful route for some women. It sounds like you had clear parameters and knew where you stood. And a wonderful reward at the end!! :)

  • My failed induction led to an emcs but it was still the right decision made by myself and my consultant.

  • Saisi

    I had an induction although it was a bit different as it was due to my waters breaking but having no contractions. I was worried about infection if baby was not delivered so was happy to agree to induction. I had a pessary inserted and he was born 6 hours later, so it was successful and no need for a drip thankfully.

    Is it size meaning they want to induce you at 1 week over? I was under the impression they normally don't induce until 2 weeks over. Just being nosy now, but is it purely because Harry was big or have scans indicated another big baby?

    Yours was a nice swift one too then! 

    The 1 week induction was because they were trying put the wind right up me about home birth, and the risks of the size, so my argument was that if the risks were so serious then surely they wouldn't want me going overdue. So I argued for induction at term, and he argued for induction at +10 or +12 so we settled on +7.

    By my dates I'm 38+3 and baby is estimated (scan, fundal height, palpation, parentage) at 9lbs. I'm FINE with 9lbs, and even 10lbs, but after that, I'm not very confident.

  • My factors:

    1. I went very over with Harry, no BHs or signs of anything at all, so it's quite possible that if I refused induction to secure my home birth, for example, I could end up at 42 weeks, still no sign of baby and inevitable induction.

    2. I have this real paranoia about placental degeneration. Harry was affected but okay, but I have read of increased deterioration of placenta where a) the mother is older (I am), and b) there is a large gap since last birth (it's been 17.5 years). It bothers me a lot, more than it ought. MW is very relaxed and cites the '10 movements a day' thing as proof baby is fine, but I really do worry that there's a difference between a baby being nourished and well, and a baby that is moving ten times in a 24 hour period. I take that responsibility solely on my own shoulders and it plays on my mind. I checked my dates and really H was term+12 not term+17 so I feel as though every day after term counts so much. It probably sounds irrational but it's the biggest factor for me in managing how overdue I go.

    3. Baby could be big, if it grows in these weeks exponentially, and I go well over, it could be that CS is inevitable and I would really prefer that to be a last resort.

    4. This one could get me some flack, but hubby and I have both had quite big issues at work with securing time off. He ended up getting bullied and had to put in a formal complaint and in 10 years of clean service has had real upset at work. The main bulk of his leave will not flex with birth dates now. They are set in stone. The further over dates we go the harder the whole arrangement is and the earlier baby will need to go to childcare and I've worked so hard to free as much time as possible to be able to spend it with baby (rather than home alone now) that all of those days are precious. It we went to 2.5 weeks over (as some ladies on a home birth group have encouraged) it would make things difficult. I know that once Baxter is in our arms it won't be on our minds, but if we're sat pondering and thinking, it comes in to the discussion.

    Not sure if any of that makes sense, but I know everyone's situation is so different so I thought it would be nice to see what factors for others and what they had to consider when going with induction, or not.

  • I was induced at 40+12 with baby arriving at 40+13, by emcs after failed Forceps and Ventouse. It was thought that baby was big, but my consultant didn't want to induce me early. I really wish I had fought this decision and pushed to be induced earlier, on the basis that baby was likely to be big and my body was starting to protest (I had hihgh bp and a lot of swelling)

  • I turned down induction with baby#1. The only reason they wanted to induce me was "policy" for being so late. No medical reason, so i said no.

  • HorseFan

    I turned down induction with baby#1. The only reason they wanted to induce me was "policy" for being so late. No medical reason, so i said no.

    HF, I'm not sure that where I am now I have 'medical reason'. That's what I'm wrestling with. The next scan will help (although dozens of people remind me regularly how inaccurate the scans can be).

  • I hope baby makes an appearance in the next couple of weeks then! Can you ask for sweeps from 39 weeks? There's a chance this baby won't be late surely?

  • Very true Saisi!! The NHS are working on a due date of a week tomorrow so I've 2 weeks until I can opt for induction, if I want it. I am allowed 2 sweeps prior to induction, we tried one yesterday but my cervix is way back and to the side, so no luck yet, but we'll try again Thurs :) I suppose I generally hold out little hope of spontaneous labour and want to get my head straight, but it doesn't work like that in these scenarios I guess. Can only plan up to a point!

  • I was induced. I hated the thought of it but the doctors told me it was safer for baby so I agreed.

    It was awful and traumatic and ended in an emergency section, and I'm struggling to come to terms with it all.

  • OB, do you believe now that it wasn't the right decision for you and the advice was wrong? Or did the process just not work for you because labour didnt progress?

  • Get tweaking your nipples! A friend assured me it worked for her!

    Re the induction, i was induced at term + 9 for my first and it was fine. All over in 12 hrs, although it was a ventouse delivery. 2nd time i begged to be induced, but they would only do it when i was 13 days over. Not a day before. I was quite annoyed as 1st time around they would induce at + 7, but the policy then changed and they wouldn't even move the date forward by 2 days so it would be a wk end and i could get child care sorted more easily. I went naturally at + 7 in the end, but would choose an induction again.

  • I've struggled to come to terms with my labour and the aftermath but 10 months on it's getting better. Im still glad I was induced though as ultimately both my son and I are here. Whilst it failed if I had went into labour naturally my baby may well have died.

  • I was induced for being 2 weeks overdue, I had 18 hours of induction with not a single result, no contractions and only 1cm dilated. After 18 hours I had an EMCS due to fetal distress- I too struggled with the birth and my induction decision but like the red fraggle I go with the medical advice (I'm medical too like red fraggle so know they don't say these things for no reason). I can't say my bad birth was due to induction it might have happened anyway!

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.

Featured Discussions

Promoted Content