Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping on left side

2»

Replies

• Options
    Sorry Katie! Maybe it was a one-off?! You're right though. It is good practice for when bump arrives!! xxxx
  • Options
    I am struggling to get sleep too, with trying to sleep on my left side as I normally lie on my stomach which is just totally impossible.

I found this on the web with why we are meant to sleep on the left:

Sleeping on your back while pregnant can create pressure on a major vein called the inferior vena cava. This vein returns blood from the lower body to your heart. This may lead to lightheadedness and/or numbness. In addition this may cause pressure on your back and intestines, leading to discomfort.

Sleeping on your stomach is not recommended because it can cause pressure on the fetus.

Most physicians recommend that a woman sleep on her left side while pregnant. this allows for the maximum blood flow to the baby, and it will also improve kidney function for the mother. The improved kidney flow will help to reduce swelling. Because your liver is on the right side of your body, sleeping on your left will keep the pressure off your liver.