Forum home Product Tests Site questions & suggestions

Coronavirus and pregnancy: support thread

Hi everyone,
We wanted to set up this support thread for those of you who are pregnant, during the Cornonavirus outbreak. 
If you have any questions, worries, concerns, please post them here and we'll try and get answers for you. Stay safe everyone. 

Replies

• Hi it’s definitely scary. I just got my bfp  can I be added to the November birth club.  I’m due on 11/28/20. 
  • Hi @Kbalan of course! It's right here
  • Hi hello ladies. Congrats to us all. My due date is November 28th 2020. 
  • Are there any updates on how this affects work? 
    I was sent home last week after the announcement that pregnant woman were part of the vulnerable category. Do I still get full pay or can work ask to bring my maternity leave forward. I’m due in the 8/7/20. 
    Hubby is now working from home and I have an almost 2 year old so working from home is not really an option for me as my office closes at 8pm and hubby stops working at 5:30pm 
  • @MrsP13
    Not sure about the UK but here in Canada we have a thing called sick leave, its government run like EI.. i have been on that since last Thursday, unfortunately it's not full pay, only 55%.. but I'm not going to risk it even if I got 0%! Hope you find something that helps you and your family! x
  • Hi all. I'm only 6 weeks so it's very early days but am terrified as it's my first and all this Covid stuff is really worrying. So pleased there is a thread for me to follow.
  • @thinkingpositive1 thank you sorry I didn’t reply straight away my minds been all over. Work have actually been in contact with me this week and they have agreed that I’m covered until the 31st may so they don’t expect to see me in the office until after then unless the situation changes. And I will receive 80% of my pay. Which works out to be the difference I would have been paying on petrol anyway so no big loss. Once little kiss is born then I’ll go on to mat leave unless we are back in the office before then. If that’s the case it would work at that I’d  be back in the office 3 weeks before heading out on maternity anyway 🤪
  • @dimples87 I can understand how scary this is for you. Let alone being pregnant this is just added stress. I really understand you worries. If you want Simone to talk to feel free to message me. 
    Are you up based? 
    If you are your first appointment is normally around 8-10 weeks from the information that’s been given is this will be done either over the phone or online. Then your routine 12 week scan will be at the hospital as normal however you would have to attend alone. From there your midwifes appointment would be set to a petticoat place. So mine were at the doctors surgery but changed to the local hospitals maternity unit. Then same again 20 week scan would be as normal just attendance alone- but hopefully this will all have been behind us by then. 
    There are lots of changes happening and they are for the best in the long run. 
    I hope this has helped put your mind at ease (for my anxiety I like to know what’s happening I find it’s when I don’t know things it become worse for me) 
    hope you’re staying safe x

• Hi girls, how are ye? I’m off work at the minute as we’re put on a government 2km ban from our houses to places outside of that limit. I’ve become really worried with the covid virus. I spoke with a family member whose a nurse today. I’m only 6 weeks so no one apart from my husband, even her knows that I’m pregnant, however  the topic came up.

She explained that the research shows that most late term pregnant women are fine that get it but that women in early pregnancy are the ones she would worry for as a high temp can cause problems. 
    If she could have seen my face she’d have decked the situation.

Where I’m from we’re not being warned about this. Women in early pregnancy are not being identified as high risk or vulnerable. We’re all being told that it won’t harm the baby. But what about an embryo? 
    Does anyone have any other information in this that’s reassuring? We could be due to go back to work in a week or two and I’m so early on that it is worrying.

• @Bea70 i can imagine your worries. If being pregnant wasn’t enough of a concern there’s all of the uncertainty’s with covid 19. 
    You might find the world health organisations website of help. There is a lot of information on there https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-pregnancy-childbirth-and-breastfeeding
    unfortunately there is no mention of a high temperature and how this affect baby. But we all know that any change to body temperature in early pregnancy can cause issues. If I was you I would stay home and social distance as much as you can to avoid any contamination 
  • Hi everyone, welcome to the forum. 
    For those of you are pregnant, we promise, you're not alone. You can meet other women due the same time as you over here in our birth clubs - just pick the month you are due, and find the main thread. 
    We also have this article, which we hope will help a little. 

• Hi, I'm from the due march 2020 thread but I just have a quick question. Is there a thread like this that says what to do if you've just had a newborn as meant to go out once a day for exercise but can't with a newborn and then health visitor said its fine to take my newborn with me for fresh air and exercise but midwife said no, and I can't find anything for certain online all I can find is about what to do if your pregnant but not what to do after or how it would affect a newborn. Its confusing and caused so much stress and panicking over the last 2 weeks.
  • Hi @KirstyB1st2020 these are all really good questions - we'll see if we can find the right person to ask. 
  • MrsP13 said:
    @Bea70 i can imagine your worries. If being pregnant wasn’t enough of a concern there’s all of the uncertainty’s with covid 19. 
    You might find the world health organisations website of help. There is a lot of information on there https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-pregnancy-childbirth-and-breastfeeding
    unfortunately there is no mention of a high temperature and how this affect baby. But we all know that any change to body temperature in early pregnancy can cause issues. If I was you I would stay home and social distance as much as you can to avoid any contamination 
    Thanks @MrsP13 it is a worry, most health research from years ago up to now advises us not to catch anything at this stage, The World Health Organisation say the same thing but don’t mention early weeks. I’ll ring the Doctor tomorrow and see what they say about work. It’s scary hopefully we all stay safe please God. 
  • @Bea70 there is a great doctor on YouTube called mama doctor jones. She’s an OBGYN in America and she’s been a great help with my worries. She has a couple videos on covid 19 and pregnancy and she reviews all medical documents relating to it. The latest one was a study looking at the 3 types of corona viruses (SARS,MERS and covid 19) and there was no conclusive evidence to prove that if you caught covid 19 you would be at a higher risk of a miscarriage. This was because of the small sample of woman they completed the study on and the percentage of pregnancy’s that do end in miscarriage didn’t seam to be any different. There was evidence to suggest if you were to catch it towards the end of pregnancy 27weeks + that you may have an increased risk of needing a c section or early delivery. But she explained that is more likely to do with mum being so ill she wouldn’t have the energy to deliver naturally and intervention was required. 
    I hope the doctor is able to give you some advice. Try not to stress to much over it lovely as long as you’re following government guidelines and keeping yourself safe there’s no reason you and baby wouldn’t be safe. And hopefully this will all be behind us by the time your beautiful baby arrives 💜
  • MrsP13 said:
    @Bea70 there is a great doctor on YouTube called mama doctor jones. She’s an OBGYN in America and she’s been a great help with my worries. She has a couple videos on covid 19 and pregnancy and she reviews all medical documents relating to it. The latest one was a study looking at the 3 types of corona viruses (SARS,MERS and covid 19) and there was no conclusive evidence to prove that if you caught covid 19 you would be at a higher risk of a miscarriage. This was because of the small sample of woman they completed the study on and the percentage of pregnancy’s that do end in miscarriage didn’t seam to be any different. There was evidence to suggest if you were to catch it towards the end of pregnancy 27weeks + that you may have an increased risk of needing a c section or early delivery. But she explained that is more likely to do with mum being so ill she wouldn’t have the energy to deliver naturally and intervention was required. 
    I hope the doctor is able to give you some advice. Try not to stress to much over it lovely as long as you’re following government guidelines and keeping yourself safe there’s no reason you and baby wouldn’t be safe. And hopefully this will all be behind us by the time your beautiful baby arrives 💜
    @MrsP13 thank you. I’ll have to go check her out. My GP is closed for the weekend and lockdown where I’m from is extended another three weeks, I’m glad as I don’t have to return to work and can stay safe but I have a private scan on Saturday so will have to be very careful. Strange world to be in right now.x
  • @bea70 it is a strange time indeed. Simone I was reading about put it quite well -“we’re living through history”. 
    I’m based in the uk. Our lockdown hasn’t been lifted just yet. Are you in the uk too? 
  • I’m just over 5 weeks pregnant but was meant to be going into hospital for an early scan between 6-8 weeks after I suffered a multiple miscarriage previously, so they wanted to check all was well this time.  Last time though the babies all stopped growing very early in my body continued believing it was pregnant for some time.  Of course now with the pandemic I can’t have the early scan and have to wait until 12weeks which is a little worrying.  
    Also I do have a question I wonder if anyone can answer, I was meant to start a new self employed role in March but that’s on hold until the pandemic restrictions are released enough for the company to start my training, will this impact on my ability to obtain maternity allowance?