Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The final Heinz for Baby weaning diaries – share your thoughts here: £200 John Lewis voucher prize!

2»

Replies

• Options
    Baby Savraj seems to be distracted at mealtimes which is a little frustrating for his mum. Using toys as a distraction is good. I try to sing silly songs to Matilda if she’s kicking off! Haha!! Matilda grabs the spoon every time I’m feeding her now, which is frustrating and very messy but Savraj is now starting to pick up food and feed himself. Matilda’s teething too so I feel like they’re both in a little pain with food. Hopefully their teeth will pop through soon!
  • Options
    Aww happy birthday baby Alfie! It’s such a special, exciting time! Alfie is doing so well with different textures and flavours. I can’t wait for Matilda to eat more grown up food! Nursery food sounds really healthy and grown up for him and it’s great that he’s getting to try different foods. I’m nervous about nursery as Matilda still seems to gag on any lumps but I know that I need to keep giving them to her so that she learns. I’m just unsure if the staff with preserve as much as I do and if she’ll be hungry. I’m sending her favourite Heinz creamy banana porridge in her bag to nursery so I know she’ll definitely eat! 
  • Options
    Mia - How to balance solid food with milk feeds

I agree with the parents here in that the right timing needs to be a bit of a trial and error. At this age, milk feeds are the primary source of nutrition and so should be given first followed by solid food. Timing should be so that the baby is hungry (motivated to try the solid food) but not too hungry (becomes impatient and fussy) and not too tired. This is a bit of a trial and error and what works one day may not necessarily works the next. However by being open and responsive to Mia's reactions, the parents are on the right path to find the right balance. 
  • Options
    Savraj - How to keep baby calm in his highchair

This is such an important topic that has a huge impact on how well baby eats his solids. A calm and patient baby experiments more, which is very important especially for baby led weaning, but for puree weaning as well. I agree with most of the things Savraj's mum does here, e.g. having the food ready and cool prior to putting baby in the chair, activity before mealtime with dad and calm parents. However I personally would not give toys during mealtime. Baby shoulf learn to separate mealtime from playtime and toys can distract baby from the food. Having said that the only 'toy' I have given my sons during mealtime are finger foods and loaded spoons. Also agree with the importance of family mealtime. At this age, babies like to copy and learn to self feed much quicker if they see their parents doing the same. 
  • Options
    Alfie - How will baby cope with grown up flavours?

I am currently weaning for the second time and to be honest this is not something I have ever worried about. We are doing BLW and already trying to expose baby to a range of flavours and textures (without added sugar or salt). Babies are like adults, they have their likes and dislikes and their taste changes by time. Therefore, if I have offered a particular food a number of times (3-5) and baby has clearly rejected it, then I would not offer it again for a couple of months.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for taking part in this sponsored discussion. The winner of the £200 John Lewis voucher is @ruh100 congratulations! We will be in touch soon, for how to claim your prize.
    We're going to close this thread now as this discussion is now closed. 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions