Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Orchard Toys bestselling Shopping List board game for ages 3-5: want one for FREE?

2»

Replies

• Options

image Please remember I am on holiday from 13th - 20th Oct.

• Options

Ooh, lucky you, jacquie58! You should have time for a few quick games, though, before you go...

• Options

Hello 

We tested our game this evening. My girls 5 & 7 years are familiar with the Orchard games as we have a few already. 

My 7 year old said the things she liked were that one of the shopping lists was on a phone- in fact they both thought this was quite good, she said that she liked that the shopping lists had other things on and not just food- like the game, soft toy etc. She commented that it was the same as Crazy Chefs (she was referring to the concept) which it is a memory type game. 

Both of them enjoyed playing the game- we played together twice and they are planning on taking it with them this weekend with their cousin. 

As a parent I really rate Orchard games. They are simple in concept that you can leave children of my girls ages to play on their own - although my nephew who is younger has played with them in the past without adults supervising. I particularly liked that the Shopping list game has the items also written as well as the pictures. My 5 year old is getting to grips with reading and she didn't recognise the picture of shower gel so I got her to sound out the words which is good for her language development..! I also work in a school and we have some of these games I will be recommending this one as one to get. 

Thanks big thumbs up here 😊👍image

• Options

Hi, my girls are 4&7 and really like this game, I sat with them for the first few games but they soon got the rules and now happily play on their own with it.

My girls also liked the phone list and my youngest likes to have the list with the toy on - she thinks he is cute! 

My 7 yr old only struggled with aubergine and had to sound it out but as she is an advanced reader at school I thought it was good that she could still be challenged with a word! My 4 yr old checks the pictures more but is sounding out the words too, they even try to think of the meals they can make with foods on the lists! 

Overall I think it's a good game and has the stamp of approval from my girls as they're still happily playing a full day later! The little one has also played with teddies when big sister was finishing her lunch !  There have been hardly any squabbles and they are fine to play with minimal supervision so for a busy mom it gets a thumbs up too! ( especially as I'm not required as a referee !)

I will be looking at other orchard games for them in future, I know they are used in school but I don't have any others at home as yet.

• Options

Thanks Helen and Danielle, we received our game today, Neve is happily playing away with Daddy :) 

Apparentry Daddy doesn't play well enough though so she is telling him the 'rules' of playing with her :) 

Fabulous game that is going to get lost of wear out of it :) 

Thanks again ladies for picking us xx

• Options

Not had ours yet but had a card saying I had an item at the post office was racking my brain for what it could be... Now I know 😊

• Options

Hi Helen and Danielle

We received our game today and my 4 year old granddaughter Elizabeth got straight into the game with a little guidance from her older sister Amber. Myself (nanna) and Grandad played too, we had the baskets to go shopping with and the girls had the trolleys.

Shopping List is a memory game. The idea of the game is to take it in turn for each player to pick a card. These cards show a picture of an individual grocery item and if that item matches with an item on your shopping list, you place it in to your trolley. If it doesn't then you place the card back down and let the next player take their turn. Players continue to take turns until one player completes their shopping list and they are the winner.

Elizabeth had no problem with matching picture for picture but we asked her to say what the picture was and at 4 years of age her spelling is not good so it was more of a say spell.....similar to what she is taught at school. After a couple of games she only struggled with Au..ber..gines and she thought the curry sauce was peanut butter.

4 hrs later, Elizabeth is still enjoying the game, although by now, she has memorized the items and is able to play from every shopping list.

Nana and Grandad had great fun joining in this game and I think its a great way to help the younger ones with spelling and the value of patience while they wait their turn to play.

Interesting to know that Booster packs are available to increase play value and Grandad is looking to order some of these. In the meantime, Elizabeth is going to take the game to school with her on Monday to see what her teacher thinks of it and has asked her mother to go to the shop to buy Au..ber..gines.

• Options

Thank you for the shopping list game.  We received it on Thursday and it has been played several times since. 

My children are 3 and 5. I was impressed with the game. In general I feel my 3 year old can at times lack concentration however during the game she was focused, concentrating , using her memory and waiting patiently for her turn. 

My 5 year old liked the iPhone shopping list . They both liked the fact it wasnt just food on list and liked the game/teddy bear etc. The graphics are bold and clear with bright colours. 

It is also good because it is quite a quick game so they don't get bored. Quick and easy to set up. I would recommend this game to other parents .

Thank you for picking us X 

• Options

Off to the post office tomorrow to pick up game will post a review tomorrow x

• Options

Hi, 

thanks again for this great game, we have been enjoying playing it all week and even got Daddy involved too. 

When it first arrive I let my little girl (2and a half) play with the trolleys and the items, so she got used to the different shopping lists and items. She loved filling the trolleys and matching the items to the correct lists. 

I like the fact it has been updated to include an iPhone shopping list and items other than food, like a normal super market. 

We then moved on to playing the game, it took a couple of attempts before my little girl understood the game properly and was able to play without help. She loves the game and gets so excited when she finds an item she needs. We played for an hour and her concentration was fantastic. Then when Daddy came home she explained how to play and played with him. 

Overall I think this game is great, lots of fun and very interactive for the whole family. Thanks again x

• Options

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful, detailed feedback. Love the pic, cupcakemummy!

• Options

Got our game today, thank you so much. 

My son is 4 he wanted to play it as soon as we got it. He liked choosing between baskets and trolleys and deciding which I should have as well. The game is well made and sturdy and the different colours are good for them to practice recognising their colours. 

We had fun playing this game as the concept is quite simple initially he enjoyed it although he did get a bit grumpy when he couldn't find the last 2 items on his list but it's good for him to learn patience and remember which cards he has already looked at. As soon as we had finished and he had won he wanted to play it again!

Another great game from Orchard Toys we shall certainly get lots of use and fun out of it. 

• Options

Thanks MummyTortoise - good to hear that your son enjoyed the game!

• Options

Argh I totally forgot to come back and write my experience lol- pregnancy has turned my already mushy brain even mushier.

My 6 year old and I had great fun when playing this game- we both liked that the shopping lists were "modern" and were fairly similar to the list I write when we do our weekly shop. He is an excellent reader so didn't struggle with what anything was but he does sometimes struggle with his concentration so remembering "where he'd seen what" was more his issue (must be a boy thing lol) I think that this game did actually encourage him to focus a lot more than other games require and it held his interest for quite some time which happily surprised me! Usually when playing games he gets bored and wanders off but here I think the idea of beating Mummy was far too exciting lol

Now we've played a few times we've been trying to play a little differently by finding the items then he has to spell it correctly for it to go on his own list (helping his spelling and handwriting)- if incorrect the item becomes damaged or out of date. Each time we play he has to beat his own record- again, something about this appeals to his competitive nature and seems to enjoy it.

I've also enjoyed using the game with my 16month old son. He has absolutely no idea how to play properly but he likes the baskets and enjoys going through and saying what everything is- i'm hoping it will encourage him to start saying some words! I get a lot of "wassat" (What's that?) but not much else so fingers crossed! We'll have him saying aubergine in no time! lol

Sorry I took so long and thank you so much for letting us try this game! :)

• Options

imagethank you so much for this game only get to have step daughter every other weekend and we forgot to play last time but they have been playing all morning... 

8 and 4 and they said they liked how you have to put them in baskets and trolleys and a good selection of stuff.. They dais great fun for a rainy day... My 4 year old won twice.. 8 yr old was a bad loser lol even me and other half played with them which was great fun and I won hehe thank u again x